Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Did you learn about the holocaust in school?
Previous  1  2

yikes!

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 11:40 pm
We learned about the holocaust in depth in a class called "teitch class". It's a class for all the girls who don't want to take on sewing lessons. I'm glad I ditched sewing. We really learned A LOT about the holocaust and had this fabulous teacher too! (Yes, I do know how to hem stuff and do some mending too)

baschabad

Post Thu, Sep 04 2008, 11:44 pm
It was a major part of our learning in middle school, and the Jewish and secular teachers taught the same subject at the same time. It was a wonderful way to learn! The understanding we got was incredibly comprehensive. At the same time, their was a great focus on "tolerance" in general, and we heard an African American speaker on the topic.

We also had a graduation trip to Israel and visited Yad Vashem... but everyone does that, don't they?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 5:27 am
baschabad wrote:

We also had a graduation trip to Israel and visited Yad Vashem... but everyone does that, don't they?

Not at all. First, many (most?) countries don't do stuff for graduation (even high school). Second, many parents would oppose a trip to Yad Vashem, depending on the age.
My public school did a trip to the concentration camps, almost all the Jewish parents didn't send their children.

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 11:52 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Today in school, I mentioned the holocaust. One of the girls didn't know what I was talking about. Hopefully, it was the language barrier, but I'm going to ask the prinicipal if they learn it.

This girl was sefardi, as most of the girls in the school, but still...

I don't specifically remember learining about the holocaust in school, but my grandparents were holocaust survivors so I was very familiar with it.

I really had no clue abt the holocaust until history in 8th grade. But I didnt grasp anything abt it. My grandparents are all born and bred americans so I had no shaychus to it.
I did read some story in 4th grade abt a girl in denmark tho...but had no clue what the story was really saying.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics