Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Fave challah recipe ?

noosheen

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 7:41 pm
Can you post ?

mom2be1

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 8:18 pm
Rebetzin kanievsky challah from BY cookbook

tweety1

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 8:27 pm
Check out chezchaya.com. I am convinced there's no better challah recipe out there. With that recipe I use white spelt and fresh yeast.

noosheen

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:07 am
tweety1 wrote:
Check out chezchaya.com. I am convinced there's no better challah recipe out there. With that recipe I use white spelt and fresh yeast.

If I use bread flour & yeast in jar, that’ll be ok. Right ?

Bump

noosheen

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 1:52 pm
tweety1 wrote:

Is this a water challah recipe ?
B/c there’s no eggs ?

B/c we like sweet challah
I already made the dough 😬

real

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 4:03 pm
Best challah ever- recipe on kosher.com
Never fails

tweety1

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 7:11 pm
noosheen wrote:
Is this a water challah recipe ?
B/c there’s no eggs ?

B/c we like sweet challah
I already made the dough 😬

It's a sweet challah no eggs recipe. Pretty sweet. It's delicious!

noosheen

Post Mon, Jun 10 2024, 7:48 pm
If my family doesn’t like it, I’ll try the best challah recipe from kosher.com next time.

myname1

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 3:21 am
tweety1 wrote:

Oof! I want to make this today and my filter company is being too slow at approving the site (since yesterday!) Does anyone want to do me a huge favor and post the recipe? Would be a huge help!

happymommy12

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 3:35 am
3 cups water
2 cups seltzer
1¼ cups sugar
1/2 cup honey
4 tablespoons active dry yeast (5 full packets)
5 pounds bread, sifted, or all-purpose unbleached flour
1¼ cups oil
1½ tablespoons table salt, 2 1/2 TBS sea salt, or 2 tablespoons kosher salt, or 1 tablespoon himalayan pink salt
1 egg, 1 Tsp water, beaten with a tiny bit of sugar for brushing
* For egg free shine, use maple syrup.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, add 1 cup warm water, yeast and 2 tablespoons sugar.
Set aside for the yeast to proof, about 10 minutes. It will look foamy; if it does not, your yeast may be dead and you should start over.
Add in the oil, honey, remaining sugar, water and seltzer. Slowly add the flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix on low for 2-3 minutes and then add the salt. Turn mixer to high and knead for ten minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Remove dough from the mixer and place in a large bowl or bucket. Rub a little oil over the top of the dough so that a craggy skin doesn’t form. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place ( so it doesn’t crack when it bakes ) for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
Take challah with a bracha: ברוך אתה יי אלהינו מלך העולם אשר קדשנו במצותיו וציונו להפריש חלה מן העסה. This is a very spiritual moment in which many pray for the health and prosperity of others and for their own families. The portion of dough, which represents the portion of dough that was given to the Kohanim in the time of the Bais Hamikdash, is wrapped in foil and burnt or disposed of respectfully. There are different customs as to how it should be done. Please adhere to your own.
Divide each portion into 3 strands of 6.5oz for a 3 lb oval and roll into ropes. Braid each challah tightly and place in greased pans. Brush challah with beaten egg and a little sugar. Let rise 30-45 minutes, then brush with egg again for that extra shine.
While the challah rises again, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Bake 40 minutes, until golden brown.

myname1

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 4:09 am
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Have a wonderful yom tov!

noosheen

Post Tue, Jun 11 2024, 6:23 am
tweety1 wrote:
It's a sweet challah no eggs recipe. Pretty sweet. It's delicious!

So I caved in & had a taste test ! Made my dh taste also.
It’s good!!!!

Thx so much!
Have a wonderful Yom Tov !

Now I just have to perfect my braiding. That needs some help. lol
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads