Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
On in-laws and future baby
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 10:35 pm
Posie actually sounds like a cute name!

In my family we have female names that include Rudi, Rani, and Eky.... and the names are given! and used! The kids got used to them. We did draw the line with Yenti though Very Happy.

twokids

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 10:36 pm
why not have your dh talk to her and tell her that it's your decision not hers. it might make the blow easier coming from him. good luck

pecan

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 11:32 pm
In these kind of cases, I think it's best to combine this name with a name of your choice and call her by the name you chose. At least you honored the grandmother by giving the name even if you chose not to use it.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 3:19 am
I'd actually like to hear from the Israeli crowd here, because in America it's normal to have an unusual name, but in Israel, when you want to get original you find a name with a nice hebrew meaning or a name from Tanach. Poza - פוזה - is simply unheard of.

And to all of those who suggested we check her ketubah/tombstone etc. - it has been checked. That was her name.

BTW, dh is very unsentimental and he doesn't understand at all why we have to give such a name. But when it boils down to it, mil will be more upset at me than at him for not naming after her mother. That's life I guess.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 3:25 am
What about Roza (Ruchel suggested Poza was a form of it, so you could say you researched and found this out) and then you could use Shoshanna, Vered or Raizel, or even Bluma or Pirchiya.

(Poza is also the name of a fashion chain here and means pose as in what pose you are in for a picture - totally unacceptable as a name).

If you pm me I will tell you how we 'converted' a weird Yiddish name into a beautiful Tanach/Hebrew one for our dd. I just don't want to post it here because it would give me away.

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:53 pm
Raisin wrote:
one of my favourite books (ballet shoes) has a character named Posy. Nice name, although it does not sound Jewish.

I GREW UP READING THOSE BOOKS!

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 1:36 pm
shalhevet wrote:
What about Roza (Ruchel suggested Poza was a form of it, so you could say you researched and found this out) and then you could use Shoshanna, Vered or Raizel, or even Bluma or Pirchiya.

Pirchiya?? I've never heard that one!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 10:04 pm
Enough already. Your in laws had their chance to name a baby - THEIRS. Now it's your turn. They'll get over it. Don't name your child POZA. Period. End of story. I have never understood why people name their kids awful things just to honor deceased relatives. Just because one set of parents made a mistake doesn't mean it has to be repeaed for generations.

SuperMama

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 10:17 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Posie actually sounds like a cute name!

In my family we have female names that include Rudi, Rani, and Eky.... and the names are given! and used! The kids got used to them. We did draw the line with Yenti though Very Happy.

And yenty is such a nice name! I actually really love that name.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 10:35 pm
im named after my great grandmother and there are only a hanful of people with my name. as a kid I was always embaressed when I had to introduce myself for the first time. but I got over it each time suprisingly enough. I had a great aunt with a weird name that no one else has, and she told her kids that they shouldnt name their kids after her. they did though

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 11:01 pm
We had a similar situation where we were pretty much forced to name our baby Dubba. Yeah, plenty will tell me that they love the knickname Dobbie and yadda yadda but I thought the name was hideous and I'm still not crazy about it. I searched and searched for some sort of source for a special woman with that name and couldn't find one. I couldn't even find out what the name meant. B'H there was another beautiful name with it so I was sorta ok with it all together, but I still feel so bothered by all of the pressure that we were under to use that specific name. Op, I feel ya. If you don't like it, don't use it.

drumjj

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 2:58 am
in my family my mother in law rang my sister inlaw and pressured and threatened her about what she has to name a boy she was so relieved to finally have a girl. now my other sister in law and im pregnant im waiting till see what she will have but im not really interested in what my mother inlaw wants. its my baby and not really any of her business.

Aidelmom

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 3:01 am
amother wrote:
We had a similar situation where we were pretty much forced to name our baby Dubba. Yeah, plenty will tell me that they love the knickname Dobbie and yadda yadda but I thought the name was hideous and I'm still not crazy about it. I searched and searched for some sort of source for a special woman with that name and couldn't find one. I couldn't even find out what the name meant. B'H there was another beautiful name with it so I was sorta ok with it all together, but I still feel so bothered by all of the pressure that we were under to use that specific name. Op, I feel ya. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Amother I know of a special women whose second name was Dubbe.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 3:14 am
manhattanmom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Pirchiya?? I've never heard that one!

I know two women with that name (in Israel).

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 3:18 am
Dubbe is a derivative of the name Toyb which is German for dove or pigeon (Taub).

entropy

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 3:40 am
It's also the feminine of Dov Confused

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 4:06 am
entropy wrote:
It's also the feminine of Dov Confused

According to who?

Isramom8

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 4:23 am
Seraph wrote:
amother wrote:
we've been doing this research since my first pregnancy, ten years ago. it's a russian name with no meaning behind it. it does sound like the hebrew paz - goldy, which is actually a nice name, except I think my family will frown on that because my dear aunt zehava-golda was in a terrible car accident at the age of eleven, and has been paralyzed since. she herself was named after a relative who was killed in the holocaust, so it looks like that name won't go.
There is always the name Pazit or Zehavit...

DD has a friend named Paz, nice girl.
Google says paz means peace in Spanish...so Shlomit or Shalva?
In Hebre, paz is gold...is something like Ora too far removed?
Orlee, Orit, Ortal, Eliora, Leora, Shalhevet, Lehavit

entropy

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 4:30 am
To clarify, I was referring to the Dubba spelling amother cited.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 11:09 am
amother wrote:
Enough already. Your in laws had their chance to name a baby - THEIRS. Now it's your turn. They'll get over it. Don't name your child POZA. Period. End of story. I have never understood why people name their kids awful things just to honor deceased relatives. Just because one set of parents made a mistake doesn't mean it has to be repeaed for generations.

What if they didn't have many children? what if their hashkafa is one name per baby only?

As for awful things, it's all cultural. What do you mean mistake? all Jewish names are holy.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names