Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Items you absolutely wont waste
Previous  1  2  3  Next

justanothermother

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 7:19 am
grin wrote:
what about the kashrus of your oven afterwards?

embarrassed I can't believe I forgot to mention that.

I always do it when my oven is gross and I was planning to run a self clean cycle anyway. I do believe that the tin would have to be double wrapped otherwise (but of course you can check with your LOR). Also, the tins and boiler I use are old, old junk that I dedicate to arts and crafts and never for food.

grin

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 7:28 am
justanothermother wrote:
grin wrote:
what about the kashrus of your oven afterwards?

embarrassed I can't believe I forgot to mention that.

I always do it when my oven is gross and I was planning to run a self clean cycle anyway. I do believe that the tin would have to be double wrapped otherwise (but of course you can check with your LOR). Also, the tins and boiler I use are old, old junk that I dedicate to arts and crafts and never for food.

oh, so much for those of us that don't have self-cleaning ovens Confused But at least I needn't feel guilty for all the crayons that were tossed into the garbage over the years.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 9:19 am
Ask your rov. ours told us that shrinky dinks were fine in the oven but I neglected to ask about melting crayons

pomegranate

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:23 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
Cloth--I am very good at using up every bit on a length of fabric. Extras become scrubbing rags or parts of quilts. Work out clothing gets repaired until it's dead and then it's cut up for rags.

Food--I've got a knack for home preservation, and we don't really waste any food around here.

hey, is that a picture of you? 8)

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:25 pm
pomegranate wrote:
avigailmiriam wrote:
Cloth--I am very good at using up every bit on a length of fabric. Extras become scrubbing rags or parts of quilts. Work out clothing gets repaired until it's dead and then it's cut up for rags.

Food--I've got a knack for home preservation, and we don't really waste any food around here.

hey, is that a picture of you? 8)

No, it isn't.

miriam

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:27 pm
One of the foods is ketchup. We keep that bottle til the last drop.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:28 pm
miriam wrote:
I used to joke with my husband that I'm so cheap I want to boil the ketchup bottle to get that last bit of residue.

poelmamosh

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:42 pm
Clarissa wrote:
miriam wrote:
I used to joke with my husband that I'm so cheap I want to boil the ketchup bottle to get that last bit of residue.

I do that with honey, the last bit in the jar. I microwave it on a low setting for a couple minutes and it slithers right out!

GAMZu

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:46 pm
poelmamosh wrote:
Clarissa wrote:
miriam wrote:

I do that with honey, the last bit in the jar. I microwave it on a low setting for a couple minutes and it slithers right out!
The plastic might not be microwavable. We pour a little hot water in, shake, and use it in tea.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:57 pm
Tamiri wrote:
The breads and challa that I make myself.

my potato kugel recipe uses challah, so I put my stale challah in the freezer for kugel week. alternately we make french toast, challah toast, meat sandwiches, or feed the birds. I heard that not throwing away any bread is a segulah for parnasa so I try and be careful.

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:20 pm
chaylizi wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

my potato kugel recipe uses challah, so I put my stale challah in the freezer for kugel week. alternately we make french toast, challah toast, meat sandwiches, or feed the birds. I heard that not throwing away any bread is a segulah for parnasa so I try and be careful.

Every shabbos I make a something called a strata--stale bread, vegetables, eggs and cheese, baked. We usually eat it for breakfast saturday morning.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:25 pm
GAMZu wrote:
poelmamosh wrote:
Clarissa wrote:
miriam wrote:

The plastic might not be microwavable. We pour a little hot water in, shake, and use it in tea.

omg we do that too hot water in the honey - dd3 loves her ketchup and won't part with the bottle till she licks the insides clean - do not ask me how ... Rolling Eyes

so the question is ... are we misers ... or merely frugal ... or just geniuses at getting out the last drop ?!?!?! What

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:27 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
chaylizi wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

Every shabbos I make a something called a strata--stale bread, vegetables, eggs and cheese, baked. We usually eat it for breakfast saturday morning.

we love french toast, bread pudding and my squirrels wait at the tree staring in my kitchen window until I send them out a piece ...

octopus

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:28 pm
quarters! We do not waste quarters! They are a commodity in the city. You need them for EVERYTHING. I absolutely hoard them.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:31 pm
justanothermother wrote:
I bought a little thingamajigy to squeeze out every drop from tubes of toothpaste and creams.

I just squeeze the toothpaste till the last drop - and again something my kids leave me do alone as they open the new one and I refuse to dump a little bit of toothpaste away ... squeeeeeeeeeeze Compress Help

Martini

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:38 pm
chaylizi wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

I have a whole challah (not opened) left from shabbos and I just don't know what to do with it. I don't have a heart to throw it out, but it was out all shabbos, can't put in back now. Any ideas?

chaylizi

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:44 pm
if you want, I can send you my kugel recipe in the morning. it takes half a loaf & you can use the other half for eggs & toast or something.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:48 pm
make garlic croutons ... cut up the challah into squares sprinkle with olive oil and spices ... bake ... eat ... munch ...

Martini

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:54 pm
chaylizi wrote:
if you want, I can send you my kugel recipe in the morning. it takes half a loaf & you can use the other half for eggs & toast or something.

Maybe Challah Kugel is a good idea! Most of the time I just get annoyed with extra's and just throw em out. But I really feel guilty with this one.

Pineapple

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:57 pm
Martini wrote:
chaylizi wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

I have a whole challah (not opened) left from shabbos and I just don't know what to do with it. I don't have a heart to throw it out, but it was out all shabbos, can't put in back now. Any ideas?

Make breadcrumbs out of it
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics