Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
When do you start cooking for Shabbos?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Aribenj

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 9:07 am
Depends how many people I'm having.

If it's just me and dh and another couple, I'll do everything on Friday. But sometimes we'll have 15-20 people and then I have to get really organized and start on wednesday. I shop on Wednesday and make the challah, and whatever I can freeze, Thursday I can make deserts and whatever needs to marinate before cooking or anything like that, and Friday I make whatever is left, plus prepwork for whatever I still have to finish on Shabbos (I.e: cut and wash the lettuce for the salad, dice tomatoes, make salad dressing, etc)

newmommy22

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 12:40 pm
I usually start on Thursday night and finish up on Friday - but I cook in bulk and freeze soup, knaidlech, kugels, kishke desserts etc. so most weeks I only have to cook a few things, but it doesnt make a difference how much I have to make - I never finish preparing till just before shabbos.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 7:06 pm
I work late Wed & Thurs and have shiruim, shopping, cleaning & exercising to do too, so I can only really cook late Friday. I make my lists way in advance so it's fine for us.

alpidarkomama

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 1:49 am
curlytop wrote:
Yow. If you start cooking Wednesday night, by the time its Shabbos your food is 2 days old ?!

I cook dishes ahead too. Some dishes either taste BETTER after 2 days (like ratatouille or other stewy things, chummus, any marinated salads, etc.), or freeze perfectly well, so there are many things you can do ahead: soups, kugels, desserts, challah. With four kids 5 and under we wouldn't eat anything if I had to cook it all on Friday! LOL

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 10:44 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
ra mom,

for soup I just put in a package of chick soup bones from the butcher in water in the crock pot with a dash of pepper. When I come home I skim it and when its cool I stick it in the freezer.

For chicken/meat I buy boneless cuts and make a sauce out of a bit of mush soup powder, white cooking wine, cornstarch. I just put in a pinch of this and dash of that. No idea of quantities. I just fill up a mug and dump in into the bottom of the crock.

If you like sweet sauces, I'm sure a duck sauce or a ketchup-based sauce would be good, too.

I usually add some sliced mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, and b'nut squash or swt. potato. (trying to get different colors of veggies.)

As for your previous post. I think chicken and meats cooked in sauces freeze fine. Roasted and breaded do less well with reheating. I freeze almost everything else successfully though.

I have been meaning to thank you for your idea of chicken broth in the crockpot for some time now.
I have stopped using soup mixes, so I use chicken broth in recipes quite often. I make broth in the crockpot now (chicken bones, fresh garlic and fresh ginger) thanks to you! I would never actually get around to cooking up a pot of broth... but leaving it in a slow cooker while I am out.... Awesome. Thanks so much btMOMtoFFBs!

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Feb 16 2009, 11:27 pm
I start on Wednesday

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 12:10 am
I cook thursday night and friday morning. I don't freeze anything. I like em good n fresh.

goodheart

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 1:36 am
I also cook thurs night and friday

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 2:02 am
Most of the time only on friday. For a veggie soup I started making I just add a peice of chicken to the pot instead of making seperate chicken stock.

bashinda

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 3:09 pm
I cook thursday and friday but try to get most of cooking done thursday.

I also bake double or more and freeze which helps.

I'll make cookie dough and either make a double batch and freeze half or do a seperate session earlier in the week and freeze. Same thing with challahs which will last me two or three weeks.

I like kokosh cake because the recipe makes 6 large or 12 smaller kokosh cakes and also the kokosh cake dough freezes well so I have a lot of flexibility making the dough.

One big thing I need to do more often is figure out what vegis I need for each recipe for Shabbos and do the prep time for all the vegis at once. When I've done that it's saved a lot of time instead of having to go back and peel another potato or carrot.

BrachaC

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 3:39 pm
I am also a big fan of fresh food- especially the protein, but I don't mind challah and dessert fresh frozen (made that week and frozen) so I get challah, soup and dessert in the freezer and then make side dishes and appetizers Thursday night and chicken and meat get made Friday by myself when I get home from work, or by my husband while I'm at work, sometimes I'll put up a roast in the crock pot and then I come home to dinner made!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 9:30 pm
BrachaC wrote:
I am also a big fan of fresh food- especially the protein, but I don't mind challah and dessert fresh frozen (made that week and frozen) so I get challah, soup and dessert in the freezer and then make side dishes and appetizers Thursday night and chicken and meat get made Friday by myself when I get home from work, or by my husband while I'm at work, sometimes I'll put up a roast in the crock pot and then I come home to dinner made!

How do you make your roast in the crockpot?

Nicole

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 9:37 pm
I usually start wednesday, and don't do anything except salads and cholent on Friday - otherwise things get too hectic. this week I literally started on Sunday (made menu on motzai shabbos!) bec we have some things going on this week and I wanted to be organized.
Don't hate me. I'm not the ultra organized, spotless house type. AT ALL.

imasinger

Post Tue, Feb 17 2009, 10:07 pm
Add me to the "like things fresh" list.

I do big batches of soup and baked goods; those get divided up and frozen. I do rice or kasha on Thursday, make sure all chicken and other ingredients are defrosted, and make sure all my shopping is done by then. Friday, I get up at 5 and make potatoes, chop veggies, and generally get things prepped. I leave for school at 8, and get home at around 1, and then I quickly start the challa, make the chicken, cook the veggies, finish the challa, and get the kid food and cholent ready.

Last erev shabbos, we were on vacation, and I actually got to ease into candle lighting. It was so nice!

DevorahMonsey

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 9:59 pm
I remember a shiur by one of the big-deal shalom bayis rebbetzins, where she said a young wife came to her saying that her husband complains that she's a shmatte by licht bentchen, and he wanted her to go easy on the preps. The rebbetzin agreed. But she said, Of course you can't freeze things, they won't taste as fresh. To which big-deal rebbetzin replied, I'm sure your husband would rather have a fresh wife than a fresh dinner.

Something we should all remember!

I'd like to recommend a cookbook called "Not Your Mother's Slow-Cooker Cookbook" that has great ideas for all kinds of recipes, than can really help weekdays as well as Shabbos.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 9:11 am
If you cook things on wednesday, do you freeze it? if I cook soup today (wednesday), will it be ok fri. night?

same questoin about gefilta fish.. can I cook it today (wednesday) for shabbos?

BZBEE

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 9:47 am
I start Thursday night, and try to finish then too.
I don't like to leave anything for Friday.
Soup an challos, I usually take out erev Shabbos from the freezer. That's the only thing I prepare in advance.

Barbara

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
If you cook things on wednesday, do you freeze it? if I cook soup today (wednesday), will it be ok fri. night?

same questoin about gefilta fish.. can I cook it today (wednesday) for shabbos?

Soup is fine from Wednesday to Friday or Saturday.

You're probably OK with the gefilte fish, but its probably cutting it close. Fish tends to turn faster than other foods.

worldpeace

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 5:52 pm
I make geFilte fish Friday and would eat it till Monday or tues
Which means u can definitely make it on wed for Shabbos and it would be perfectly fine

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 7:42 pm
This thread is 5 years old.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen