Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
DH GOT ME A KITTEN...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

bubby

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 7:36 am
We had a cat once...Shandy. I loved her...I could use a nice purr about now. Not from me, though. We once had fish...Mom ate her babies. Then we had Harry, BDE, a blue budgie who died recently after 9 years (remember him? I cried Crying ) Now I'd love another cat, but DH said we can pick one up in Israel for free, right off the street. He's so funny. Har de har har.

Enjoy Fluffy. Oh, & get her plumbing re-routed or you'll end up with a lot of mini-Fluffies. I think your DH is really sweet!!

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 7:38 am
avigailmiriam wrote:
Update: the kitten has so far

1. Attempted to climb my floor-length skirt.

2. Taken a flying leap off my desk to catch the fringes on my tichel; she missed terribly and fell on the floor.

3. Tried to jump onto a 5-foot high shelf of a bookcase. She overshot and crashed to the ground.

4. Attempted to join my husband in the shower; and she threw a tantrum when he kicked her out.

5. She is currently trying to kill a moth that got in here.

My cats, now kittens, attempted to climb up the door via a towel hanging from a hook on one of those over the door jobies.

My cats still come and greet me by sharpening their claws on my skirt.

They sleep with us at night.
They are great.

So wait have you decided on a name yet?

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 7:45 am
How about Hypatia. I love Sappho's poems but I'm not sure how well that would go over.

tovarena

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 8:09 am
justanothermother wrote:
If I got a cat for Chanukah...

Okay, now that's why some people shouldn't own pets! LOL

In terms of Pesach food, all the books do list options. Also there are other things available (though not cheap). We feed my poor allergic old-man kitty a food year round that happens to be kosher l'pesach (not certified, but no grains whatsoever). If you look on the pet health food sites (NOT kidding!), there are a number of grain-free foods for animals like mine.

avigailmiriam wrote:
...for Chanaukah. It's so cute and tiny! We haven't named her yet.

My brother is a master namer - usually based on current events. So the cat that adopted him during the Iran-Contra hearings was Ollie (his personal hero at the time Wink). After that, my parents got a Siamese cat that he named Meow Tse Tung. After he left home (my brother - not the cat), two more cats adopted him. They are Monica L'whiskers and Boutros Boutros Kitty (aka Booties). Oh, and I forgot - there was the one oddball - the cat found us around the time of the Gulf War and my brother named him Norman. We all made the assumption that it was again based on current events. Alas, no, Norman, we later found out, was named after Norman the cow in the movie City Slickers (because our Norman had "cow-eyes").

supermama2

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 9:02 am
bubby wrote:

Enjoy Fluffy. Oh, & get her plumbing re-routed or you'll end up with a lot of mini-Fluffies. I think your DH is really sweet!!

I thought this was a problem b/c we couldn't do this to animals??? What do I know?

Clarissa

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 9:40 am
SarahO. wrote:
bubby wrote:

I thought this was a problem b/c we couldn't do this to animals??? What do I know?
It's a problem to spay or neuter our animals? Don't tell Bob Barker!

Fabulous

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 9:43 am
kikavu wrote:
we got dd a betta in this itty bitty tank & it was real cute until it started floating around the top.

I don't miss it though. my dh has a 100 gallon salt water tank in our front hall. we have more than enough fish around here.

I would love to have a large fish tank, actually I think I would love the space for a large fish tank. In my fantasy, future home (which I will have tons of money to buy) we will have a beautiful large fish tank with colorful fish of all varieties (that live well together)

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 10:57 am
SarahO. wrote:
bubby wrote:

I think most poskim say no to neutering.Some permit spaying a female, some require a sale to a non-Jew, which is what we did.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 11:09 am
That Chanuka cat has revenge written all over his face! LOL

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 11:12 am
GAMZu wrote:
That Chanuka cat has revenge written all over his face! LOL

LOL...yep, there go the curtains.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 11:24 am
hey JAM - is your cat a girl - cause she is making my georgie katze'le look like a transvestite ...

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 11:31 am
Clarissa wrote:
SarahO. wrote:
bubby wrote:

It's a problem to spay or neuter our animals? Don't tell Bob Barker!

It's a halakhic issue. We'll sell the cat to our landlords for long enough to get it done. Our landlords, wonderful people that they are are wonderful about this sort of thing; we sold the contents of our fridge to them last Pesach.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 11:35 am
Fabulous wrote:
kikavu wrote:
we got dd a betta in this itty bitty tank & it was real cute until it started floating around the top.

I don't miss it though. my dh has a 100 gallon salt water tank in our front hall. we have more than enough fish around here.

I would love to have a large fish tank, actually I think I would love the space for a large fish tank. In my fantasy, future home (which I will have tons of money to buy) we will have a beautiful large fish tank with colorful fish of all varieties (that live well together)

trust me, if u knew all the craziness, time, effort & flooding that went into this tank- you'd be happy visiting the aquarium! I wouldn't mind, if I never had to take care of it. But there is many a day that I am feeding fish, mopping up floods & crumbling algae for the little darlings.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 12:32 pm
A cat most certanly takes time and money to maintain !!! That's a huge reason why we do't have any pets.

Like: Vet fees. Emergencies.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 12:35 pm
They psychological benefits of having a wonderful animal to love (and be loved by) far outweigh any concerns as far as expense, training, etc. It's fantastic for one's health, physically and emotionally.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 12:36 pm
btw - as a kitten you can train her ... cut her nails give her baths once a week or every other week ... brush her every day ... it eliminates hair allergens & hair balls ... and her clawing everything in sight ... oh and take pictures they grow quick ...

for pesach just give her tuna ... Drunken Smile unless of course you wanna train her to go fishing Wink

amother

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 12:37 pm
Enjoy your kittie. I personally HATE CATS and think they're evil for the most part. But I'm sure your little Byron or Aristotle (wait, not obscure enough) is just precious.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 12:39 pm
You can always call her Schrodinger.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 12:40 pm
I'm sorry, YESHA, but that donut in your avatar looks like a breast to me.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Dec 23 2008, 12:43 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I'm sorry, YESHA, but that donut in your avatar looks like a breast to me.

You should have seen it when I was making the avatar... the photo is very large, I got the jelly spot and it looked like another part of a woman's anatomy...
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics