Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Your best stroller advice for a first-time mom
Previous  1  2  3  Next

octopus

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 8:25 pm
mummiedearest, isn't the quatro a very heavy stroller?

I would recommend the travel system just because once the baby outgrows the carseat you still have a functional stroller.

Atali

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 8:29 pm
My snap n go has a storage basket, but if you are getting a graco carseat the travel system is probably the best bet. I didn't get one because I used a britax carseat and the britax travel system stroller is very expensive.

octopus

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 8:31 pm
just reiterating that the metro lite is super light. but the car seat- well any car seat- is super heavy.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 8:35 pm
For me the priority was light weight cause I'm always shlepping in and out of the car, so since you will be doing that less frequently it might not be the top priority. But I wanted to say that you should definitely go to a store and push around the stroller you're interested in. A little thing like the feel and height of the handles, for example, can really make a stroller wonderful or terrible and what is comfortable for one person isn't for another. So test them out yourself if you can.

ss321

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 3:46 am
For me the issues were- easy to push, light weight, folds easy. I know someone mentioned the bugaboo on the last page and said it wasnt easy to fold, but I didnt find that to be the case. Once you get the hang of it, it takes 2 seconds. IWe used the bugaboo frame with the graco car seat (tried a snap and go, my friends, who had a baby like 1 month before me, and hated how it pushed, didnt navigate corners well AT ALL, didnt fold as flat as the bugaboo), which I found to be really convenient.

In my opinion, dont think about what will be 2 or 3 years from now, you can get another stroller THEN to fit your needs. I have never rly met anyone who invested in a double (like phil & teds) BEFORE their second kid. From what Ive seen people just take it as they go. I now have a 3 yr old and an infant, got a double stroller, but rarely use it. Most of the time, unless its like walking to a park (rare), we get into the car and my toddler refuses to sit in the stroller for long periods of x...so I squish this bulky strollerinto the car, haul it out, just to buckle one kid and chase after the other. Ive learned that for me it is easier to just take my bugaboo, and let my toddler do as he wishes, holding his hand, letting him touch stuff, etc. but then again, take into account, that we have a car, and drive 90-95% of places (I live in Bklyn=no ERUV=no walking anywhere on shabbos w/ stroller=big consideration!), so the stroller is only for the purpose of "when we get there" so its alot less walking. I really love my bugaboo and am still using it with two kids, is my point, so dont "skimp" and say, Ill get a double stroller now, because chances are its a better investment...you might just use that single stroller more than you think.

Marion

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 4:01 am
I had a few requirements:

1. Easy to push.
2. Easy to fold...preferably one handed.
3. Light"ish", but at least easy to lift onto the bus.
4. Carseat compatible.

We lived in a 3rd floor walk up, and had no car. We wound up with a Graco UltimaPlus (European model; I think the Vienna is the closest North American model). Not REALLY light, but certainly manageable on the bus. One hand fold, which I could do sitting on the bus with the baby in my lap. We also have a Maclaren (2nd hand...couldn't justify the cost), and it had NOTHING on the Graco for the bus...Graco was MUCH easier! And it was a travel system, so that solved our occasional carseat use need.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 7:26 am
Micralite Fastfold might be good for you (I nixed it for price, but check into it), or the one I got for my sister that she LOVES.

The Zooper Bolero bounces up and down stairs like a charm, has a full recline for a newborn with a safety feature that encloses the whole thing, one handed fold, stands up when folded, basket (she says it's nice size, but hard to access when the stroller is reclined all the way), car seat compatible, lightweight, comes with a foot muff, rain cover, sun cover, sturdy and pushes well for city walking. I have the Waltz which is like a step down -- it's not one handed fold and I also love it. It only costs $309 from dmartstores.com for all these features.

Truthfully, there are many great single strollers out there; you don't know when you'll need a double (IY"H) and what options will be available. Something that is later converted, like a P&T, might sound good in theory, but truthfully, it might be hard to get in and out of the car with the doubles kit, and you might have different needs then.

shayna82

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 7:31 am
dont buy cheap, you will regret it.

get something with bigger wheels, thus easier to go over bumps and things that may be in the way. snap in car seat is the best, no hassling with the baby... easy to put on safety belt.

everything else is a bonus. most strollers are easy to fold once you learn how, and depending on how big your trunk is, you might want to get something that folds flatter.

Fox

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 9:04 am
Take what I'm going to say with a grain of salt (you can use some from the salt container thread!) because my youngest child is 9:

I agree with the other posters that the Snap 'n' Go is great for the first 6 months to year. Mine had as much storage as most lightweight strollers, and I liked the fact that I didn't have to move the baby during each stage of a trip. I could bundle him up in the carseat inside, take it to the car, and then attach it to the stroller when we reached our destination. It was especially great when he fell asleep in the car -- I could often take him inside without waking him!

While there weren't as many high-priced strollers "back in the day", I found that after the baby was approximately a year old, I was happiest with a simple umbrella stroller. While the umbrella strollers don't always have storage, I found them much, much more convenient, and I could hang bags on the handles when needed. They go everywhere, kids like them because they feel closer to the "action", and when one breaks or gets gross (the stroller, not the kid), you can guiltlessly throw it away. They fold quickly and don't take up much room in a car or apartment. I also had many situations in which stores that normally don't allow strollers told me, "Oh, come on in. You won't block the aisles with that!"

Leahh

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 12:56 pm
The Inglesina Zippy is not good for alot of city walking. You're better off with a jogger like the City Mini.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 1:17 pm
The City Mini is not a jogger.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 5:34 pm
octopus wrote:
mummiedearest, isn't the quatro a very heavy stroller?

I would recommend the travel system just because once the baby outgrows the carseat you still have a functional stroller.

yes, it's 27 pounds. but in an elevator building that's fine. it's not so bad to lift it into a car either. once you can lift the car seat with the baby you shouldn't have a problem lifting the stroller.

Mommy007

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 6:38 pm
When I got my snap n go there were 2 choices...they each have a small basket underneath.

It is just a base. You just snap ur carseat into it.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 10:28 pm
My MAIN requirement?
Reversible seat. I absolutely must have my baby facing me, and can't comprehend why anyone would choose a stroller with a seat that doesn't reverse. Smile

ny_ima

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 10:29 pm
Mazal tov!
I'm a real feinshmecker stupid worshipping brand names jap. However I received as a gift (not for first baby) the graco metrolite travel system (stroller, car seat and 2 car bases) and besides thinking that its a nebby kinda stroller, it was amazing. Fully loaded, easily folding, stands on its own when folded, light wt enough to lift with one hand and throw in trunk, great canopy, huge basket, adjustable bar to fit ur height, adjustable seat that lies flat for newborn, wide enough for baby to sit or sleep comfortably, very easy to maneuver and push along, big wheels that easily rode over snow! And up and down curbs, kid tray and parent tray... Came with car seat with canopy which was gr8 in beginning (u will NOT want to wake a sleeping baby!) Stroller canopy large enuff to totally encase car seat when snapped on (for warmth or when I didn't want ppl to come near my newbie- germ phobic). Later didn't care if kid ate or drank in stroller cuz its cheap and washable.(Think bottle drips and cookie stains!) If money isn't an issue (gift), I still would choose a bugaboo or other large wheel suspension single stroller since it wheels easy and bassinet is more comfortable for baby, not to mention how 'shtaty' it looks! and u can always get urself a second lite wt compact to umbrella stroller for travel or fitting in aisles...
Good luck and enjoy choosing!

shoy18

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:13 am
ss321 wrote:
For me the issues were- easy to push, light weight, folds easy. I know someone mentioned the bugaboo on the last page and said it wasnt easy to fold, but I didnt find that to be the case. Once you get the hang of it, it takes 2 seconds. IWe used the bugaboo frame with the graco car seat (tried a snap and go, my friends, who had a baby like 1 month before me, and hated how it pushed, didnt navigate corners well AT ALL, didnt fold as flat as the bugaboo), which I found to be really convenient.

In my opinion, dont think about what will be 2 or 3 years from now, you can get another stroller THEN to fit your needs. I have never rly met anyone who invested in a double (like phil & teds) BEFORE their second kid. From what Ive seen people just take it as they go. I now have a 3 yr old and an infant, got a double stroller, but rarely use it. Most of the time, unless its like walking to a park (rare), we get into the car and my toddler refuses to sit in the stroller for long periods of x...so I squish this bulky strollerinto the car, haul it out, just to buckle one kid and chase after the other. Ive learned that for me it is easier to just take my bugaboo, and let my toddler do as he wishes, holding his hand, letting him touch stuff, etc. but then again, take into account, that we have a car, and drive 90-95% of places (I live in Bklyn=no ERUV=no walking anywhere on shabbos w/ stroller=big consideration!), so the stroller is only for the purpose of "when we get there" so its alot less walking. I really love my bugaboo and am still using it with two kids, is my point, so dont "skimp" and say, Ill get a double stroller now, because chances are its a better investment...you might just use that single stroller more than you think.

I dont know how big your 3 year old is, but get yourself a buggy board for your bugaboo, its really a life savor just for the times when your kid is just taking too long to walk or refuses to. The board only takes weight up to 40lbs so if hes big for his age it isn't appropriate but if he isnt its one of the bests gifts I got.

Stepmum

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:14 am
Wow, I was going to post last night asking if anyone had experience with the Graco MetroSport Travel System, but I couldn't figure out what it was called in the US, so I didn't. (I now think that they're all basically the same, just with different names and tiny changes.)
DH and I went to Babies R' Us yesterday and really liked this one, but I'd love some opinions. So far from this thread, it seems most people are happy with it. Is there anything I should be considering before committing to this? Anything you weren't happy with? For me, I like that the car seat clips on, that it has a big basket, that it's fairly light (I live one floor up, with no lift), and that it folds easily, with one hand.
Also, how much did you pay for it? Babies R' Us are selling it at 149 pounds (220 dollars), they say it's down from 299 (440) but I find it hard to believe it sold at that price...

Marion

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:27 am
When we bought the Graco it was 1200NIS, which at the time was roughly $400US. If we'd bought it in the US it would have been about 1/2 that. When buying an "import" keep in mind that the importer has paid duties, taxes, VAT (if applicable), and shipping, and added all those things to YOUR cost.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sat, Jan 03 2009, 5:21 pm
The Graco snap n' go has a HUGE basket. The best of any I've had so far. It's sturdy but probably not sturdy enough for walking long walks everyday. Definitely sturdy enough for city shopping. Unless you run or walk a few miles daily, you're best off with it in the beginning. And do all the research about strollers that you can. Check out reveiws online, they can be very helpful and reveal things about the strollers that you wouldn't know from trying it out in the store. A stroller is not the place to save b/c if you get s/t you don't like, it's important enought that you'll spend the money again to get s/t that you DO like. It's one of the most essential peices of baby gear.

RZ

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 6:10 pm
I am expecting a baby in a few weeks and went through the same dilema you are going through. I decided on the UppaBaby. It moves very nicely on city streets, folds well, has a nice size basket, adjustable handles and a bucnh more features. The best part is that you can add another seat to it that faces you & does not ride as low as the Phil & Teds. It is definitely expensive, $669 online but $599 in Everything But the Baby in CH, but I heard really good reviews about it & figure I won't have to invest much more when the next kid IH comes along. A great store to check out a large variety of stollers is Buy Buy Baby in the NYC area.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics