Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Anyone ever have a baby like this?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 9:18 am
Give the Prevacid at least for 4 weeks before deciding that it does not work.
Also, if the baby is only taking one dose of Prevacid a day, and after 2 weeks you see no improvement, call the doc and ask to increase the dosage to 2x a day. (This from a mother of a child taking Prevacid.)
Another tip with Prevacid (and other reflux meds), give it to baby half and hour before the baby eats. It really makes a difference. If you only 15 minutes to wait before feeding him, that's ok as 15 is better than nothing, but try to aim for the 30 min mark.
Much Hatzlacha!

Butterfly

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 10:16 am
[quote="kikavu"]
my toddler dd also screamed daily & had the poopy thing you described, only she only went once a week. her rectal opening was too narrow & the GI loosened the sphincter everyday for 10 days & that got better. the rest was colic.
quote]

I somehow suspect that he might also have a similar problem to Kikavu's baby. A nursing infant normally poops several times a day. If the sphincter is too tight, the baby has a difficult time releasing itself and therefore causes cramps for the baby. I had that with three of my children. It is quite common to have this condition, but unfortunately most mothers don't know about it. And unless you mention to the Dr that the baby hasn't moved it's stools in a couple of days, he might suspect that the cramps are from gas or reflux only..
I used to watch the Dr loosening it with his pinky, and boy would they release.. immediately. He taught me how to do it myself by using an infant suppository. I inserted it very gently halfway or 3/4 into the rectum (never inserted it all the way) and slowly twirled the suppository in tiny round circles until the baby released itself, which was usually spontaneously B"H. My sister in law used to use a thermometer to do it, but I felt more comfortable using the thin long and soft suppositories.

imokay

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 5:21 pm
butterfly, my dr told me that its ok if nursing baby doesnt have a bm for up to 7 days!

Butterfly

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 1:19 am
imokay wrote:
butterfly, my dr told me that its ok if nursing baby doesnt have a bm for up to 7 days!

I am very well aware of that too.. and the reason I didn't mention it along with my post, was to avoid confusion, e.g. mothers might decide that since it's normal to have a bm for up to 7 days, their babies cramping are probably the result of being gassy or refluxy.. They might not ever consider that the baby might be suffering, possibly, from an entirely different physical condition...

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 4:14 pm
I don't have anything to offer except good luck!! I hope it will get better fast!! Hang in there.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 4:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Give the Prevacid at least for 4 weeks before deciding that it does not work.
Also, if the baby is only taking one dose of Prevacid a day, and after 2 weeks you see no improvement, call the doc and ask to increase the dosage to 2x a day. (This from a mother of a child taking Prevacid.)
Another tip with Prevacid (and other reflux meds), give it to baby half and hour before the baby eats. It really makes a difference. If you only 15 minutes to wait before feeding him, that's ok as 15 is better than nothing, but try to aim for the 30 min mark.
Much Hatzlacha!

just know that prevacid affects the liver & the dosage is not determined by weight. it's hit or miss. GI's don't start off with prevacid EVER. first they try zantac and/or axxid.

square_peg

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 4:19 pm
Another possibility:
My son tenses up every time he needs to poop.. instead of letting go.. doc told me to get "Fleet Pedia-lax Liquid Glycerin".. and if he hasnt pooped in a few days and he is in pain I use that, and he poops in the next 15 minutes. Doc says this problem shoudl go away by 6-7 weeks. He is much more mellow these days..
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics