Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Shovel your sidewalks!
Previous  1  2  3  4

baschabad

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 10:25 am
I "served my time" in Chicago, so I'm familiar with the practice; it just never bothered me, that's why I wanted to understand your frustration.

My DH is from Chicago, and his parents each have a car for work, so one will inevitably have to get parked on the street while the other is in the garage, (and yes, often stuck there, in the winter!) So if my FIL spends the labor time shoveling out his car, I could understand how annoying it would be for someone else to park there!

... and of course, garages are "such useful places" for old junk you know...

Mrs. XYZ

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 10:30 am
baschabad wrote:
Double wow!!

BTW, Fox, if someone spent the time digging out their car, shouldn't they get the benefit of being able to park there later? I know we don't own the street, but I don't see why it's so unjust. As long as you don't take too long moving your lawn chair and crate to park, I think you deserve to park where you shoveled, and not watch one on your lazy neighbors parking in everyone else's spots!

Why is it different than in Brooklyn? Pppl. spend plenty of time digging out their cars there too, and I never saw anyone reserving their spot with furniture. It probably wouldn't stay there anyway.

And fox, wow, how are you managing without water before shabbos?

GAMZu

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 8:11 pm
So Fox... do you have an update? I was thinking of you over shabbos.

shanie5

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 8:11 pm
I dig out my car so that there is no snow at all in "MY" spot. if I dont put a chair in it, when I come home w/ loads of groceries, there is no place for me. And since we live one block from a hospital, the spot is almost guaranteed to be taken.

The hard part for me is having to get out of the car to move the obstacle. I prefer having a passenger who can do it for me. nobody moves the chair, but I have had times when they parked real close to it-leaving me no space to park. the solution then is 2 chairs.

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 8:35 pm
what's to stop s/o from moving your chair for the spot ... it is the public street after all ... Scratching Head

greenfire

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 8:42 pm
fox how are you surviving ...

I've seen the car covered in ice w/o any water but from the sky ... it's actually kool when the world sparkles with icicles ... trees & everything ... however in this negative degree temp I prefer to hover under my blankets ...

shanie5

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 8:46 pm
greenfire wrote:
what's to stop s/o from moving your chair for the spot ... it is the public street after all ... Scratching Head

Nothing stops them, but people here usually don't move things from spaces that have them.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 8:51 pm
shanie5 wrote:
greenfire wrote:

Nothing stops them, but people here usually don't move things from spaces that have them.

I guess that is why 'putting chairs' is not done in Brooklyn, cause it wouldn't stay there for more than 10 seconds!!

shanie5

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 8:52 pm
Thats true too. but then again, we get lots more snow than u guys do-though nothing like chicago.....

JC

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 8:53 pm
greenfire wrote:

Nothing is stopping people from moving the chairs... oh except the reality that you will often find slashed tires when you return:(

For the people who think thats ok... what about the person who comes to visit someone on the block, or someone like my DH, who was away at work all night and in the morning when he got home he couldnt park anywhere because all the people who went to work "reserved' their spots. Lots of empty spots but my tired hubby had to walk 2+ blocks in the freezing cold.

Not everyone is lazy, so dont be so selfish.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics