Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Easy, pretty, cheap and low fat!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Pineapple

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 4:04 pm
This sounds really good

Thanks for posting

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 4:07 pm
DefyGravity wrote:

I have a feeling that if you put all these layers in at once, the potato layer will never cook. And it's definitely not going to cook in an hour. And it will be fairly mushy.
it's all boiled and mashed first, so it sounds like it would layer nicely and also bake easily.

cookielady

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 6:04 pm
I just made it and dh is tasting it. He gives it a 3 thumbs up!

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 7:03 pm
This looks great. Do you have any shortcuts for cooking three different vegetables at once?

cookielady

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 9:11 pm
cookielady wrote:

that's an impressive since he only has 2 thumbs!

bubby

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 9:14 pm
I ran out of carrots so I'll make it tomorrow. Plenty of zucchini going soft, so this'll be a good use of them. DD is excited I'm making it.

cookielady

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 9:17 pm
This recipe also has a great future for Pesach, with a few adjustments, of course.

hila

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 9:19 pm
I made it for Shabbat. I will give reactions onsunday. But my reaction is - TOO MUCH washing up.
3 pots/bowls and the blender stick.
Sad
Hope the taste is worth it.

SHabbat Shalom

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 9:28 pm
I imagine you could boil all the veggies together in one big stock pot and then mash separately.

pinktichel

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 3:35 am
cookielady wrote:
cookielady wrote:

that's an impressive since he only has 2 thumbs!

Do you talk to urself, often? LOL
Glad he liked it... I must admit, I told Dh that I'm a bit nervous... all these ppl trying it this week...

Sorry Hila... I suppose I'm used to washing up a lot...I always use loads of utensils when I cook... it doesn't bother me anymore.

Cl, I'm thrilled to hear you like it!

cl

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 5:32 am
TheBeinoni wrote:
I imagine you could boil all the veggies together in one big stock pot and then mash separately.

y didnt I think of that? I cooked each veg in a seperate pot - that was my only thing against it, all the washing up!
But I only used one bowl for mashing, once the potatos were done I poured them into the pan and then mashed the next layer etc.

cookielady

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 5:21 pm
I will be honest. I made the kugel Thursday night. When I reheated it for Friday night, it became watery. Has anyone else had this experience?

bubby

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 5:27 pm
OK, so I made it. It took 5 hours shock shock to "set" in the oven. It tasted delicious, looked nice, but I think it needed more eggs & some matza meal or flour to bind it. BTW, I minced the onions (I was making chopped liver anyway) & that made it nicer. Cookie, it was more solid today on top of the blech, not watery at all.

Now for my next "event" I'm making shopaholic's salmon puffs. Even I can't kill them (I hope.)

cookielady

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 5:29 pm
bubby wrote:
OK, so I made it. It took 5 hours shock shock to "set" in the oven. It tasted delicious, looked nice, but I think it needed more eggs & some matza meal or flour to bind it. BTW, I minced the onions (I was making chopped liver anyway) & that made it nicer. Cookie, it was more solid today on top of the blech, not watery at all.

Now for my next "event" I'm making shopaholic's salmon puffs. Even I can't kill them (I hope.)

where is the recipe for Shopaholic's Salmon puffs??

bubby

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 5:45 pm
In her head, I think. I'll call her & ask her to post. I'm going to make them for Yossi with a nice dill sauce!! Very Happy Aussimommy, your kids too!!

hila

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 10:08 pm
Well - in my house they loved it. Even the youngest fussy 13 year old

I did see that the kisuim layer was very watery, so I added a few spoons of wholewhheat flower to it.

Baked about an hour or so.

Now I wish I had a deepish glass sided dish to bake it in.

pinktichel

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 11:18 pm
cookielady wrote:
I will be honest. I made the kugel Thursday night. When I reheated it for Friday night, it became watery. Has anyone else had this experience?

I never reheat it... u told me that! I just let it get to room temperature again.

Bubby, sorry it took so long... no problems here and my oven is wacky!

embarrassed Sorry guys, SIL and I have never had a problem with this kugel.

pinktichel

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 11:19 pm
hila wrote:
Well - in my house they loved it. Even the youngest fussy 13 year old

I did see that the kisuim layer was very watery, so I added a few spoons of wholewhheat flower to it.

Baked about an hour or so.

Now I wish I had a deepish glass sided dish to bake it in.

glad u enjoyed it!

wif

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 10:13 am
I warmed it up uncovered and it came out perfectly. The only thing is that the zucchini seemed to have been leached of all color and looked almost as white as the potato layer. Maybe I cooked it too long?

Am posting the chocolate pecan pie in a minute in the dessert section. It came out awesome!

freidasima

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 10:34 am
dh doesn't eat zucchini or cooked carrots. Do you think it would work with one layer potatoes, another sweet potatoes and a third mushroom and onion? There isn't any green but it would be white and orange and brown...
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes