Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
WANNA SEE A BUG IN A STRAWBERRY?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ever see a bug on your strawberry???
never bothered checking  
 37%  [ 9 ]
now I did!  
 62%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 24

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 8:50 pm
msycms wrote:

firstly, frozen strawberries that may have bugs, are usually cooked and blended. therefore, the bug get chopped up and eating parts of a bug is not an issur like eating a whole bug. (ich!)

yup - delicioso ... cause only a whole bug is significant ... a crushed bug is of no value ...

goodheart

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 9:03 pm
Omg! Thanks for brining this to my attention now im really not touching
another strawberry. but whats with the frozen bodek ones?
ty for posting the video/

mamacita

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 12:37 am
Yalt, I learned it like you. I cut off the green with a bit of flesh before I wash them in soapy water. Of course now if I chose to buy them I'd have to wash them 3 times and puree, or peel them Tongue Out no thanks!

chavamom

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 12:51 am
Blair wrote:
I f you can't see it with your eyes then you could eat it. Using a magnifying glass is not allowed. I have worked with the top kashrut organizations and this is what they all say. We do not hold by Rav Vaya and neither does Rav Rubin or Landua.

I was going to say the same thing. At risk of sounding like an apikorus, I will tell you what a choshuv rav once said to me - "you think Rashi had a bug light?"

Blair

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 1:17 am
Thumbs up for be honest

grin

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 3:01 am
YALT wrote:
I watched tat first video.
But the thing that boggles my mind is that I was watching the process of cleaning the strawberries, and I had learned a step which is not done correctly in the video (according to what I learned.)
When taking off the leaves, we were taught that by lifting a leaf, it causes all the bugs which are hiding under the warmth of the leaves to go scurrying, therefore, causing the majority of bugs to stay in contact with the actual fruit. It also acts like a warning for the bugs to so to speak "hold on for dear life".
The way we have been taught to prevent it, is that instead of pulling off the leaves, to cut away the top of the strawberry including part of the fruit, however, not too much, as you DON'T want to cause an entryway to the interior cavity of the strawberry.

Anyone else learned that?
yup, me too.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 5:57 am
chavamom wrote:
Blair wrote:
I f you can't see it with your eyes then you could eat it. Using a magnifying glass is not allowed. I have worked with the top kashrut organizations and this is what they all say. We do not hold by Rav Vaya and neither does Rav Rubin or Landua.

I was going to say the same thing. At risk of sounding like an apikorus, I will tell you what a choshuv rav once said to me - "you think Rashi had a bug light?"

I'm still having a good cake with strawberries on top this sunday...

YALT

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 6:10 am
So I emailed him last night what I posted earlier, and when I came to the computer today I found he responded.
He says I'm talking about a dif. kind of bug. He says there is 1 kind found under the leaf. And these thrips they're talking about in the video were just discovered 2 years ago.
I told him had I known 11 years ago that I had made a new discovery, I would've opened my mouth a bit more then. But it didn't seem to surprise my teacher when we saw them in class. So I find it hard to believe that we were seeing something new.
Did you ladies also learn that there were only bugs by leaves? or did you learn about a kind that hides by the seeds as well? cuz I did!

sugaray

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 1:08 pm
I watched the first video and it was truly gross. but you dont even have to use a magnifying glass at all.
take a fresh strawberry and bang it on a clean, hard, black surface and watch all the white bugs scurry around. amazing to see.

LisaS

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 2:33 pm
Oh my goodness!!!!

Does anyone know if there is the same problem in Israel?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 2:48 pm
OP here,

Quote:
Oh my goodness!!!!

Does anyone know if there is the same problem in Israel?

I am in israel Smile

frumluv

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 3:21 pm
Eww, no more strawberries for me. I try to be careful w/ washing, but I don't want to take any chances

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 3:39 pm
I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't notice bugs scurrying around on your food.

chocolate fondue

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 6:29 pm
last summer I bought strawberries every week for Shabbos - and I cut of the tops, washed them, peeled them and rinsed them again before serving them to my kids. Boy am I glad I did that!

Sheitl Queen

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 3:00 am
Ewww....I knew there was a reason
I don't like fruit!

middos

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 3:06 pm
we also cut the strawberries into guarters after cutting off the top due to having found worms in the whole of the strawberry.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 10:43 am
Also, do not eat figs. Or carob (bokser). They are highly infested.

TzipG

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 10:48 am
bodek (or katif or anything similar) are grown in environments that prevent bug infestation. it's not foolproof, but since bugs are found in only a tiny miut of the produce, it is acceptable to eat without checking. that being said, if you do see a bug, you obviously can't eat it.

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 11:03 am
It seems like every time I turn around I learn something new that seems to make it more difficult to eat healthily. Eating greens is so important, but I don't always have time to labor over them to perfectly check every leaf. So we don't eat them as often as we should. Now it takes me an hour to check strawberries. I even read somewhere that it is better o eat only white flour since it is impossible to properly sift whole wheat flour. OY!

BTW- I spent a LONG time cleaning and checking my strawberries last time we had them. I didn't see a single bug and I knew what I was looking for because I had seen those videos. I practically looked at each strawberry seed.

TzipG

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 11:09 am
it is really important to sit down with your rabbi or rebbetzin and ask what you have to do and what is unnecessary. there are many different shitot and you should follow your rabbi's opinion. just because there are chumras out there, doesnt mean you have to follow all of them.

I buy fresh whole wheat flour from the health food store that is ground that morning. my rabbi says if it put it right into the freezer I do not need to sift it.
strawberries - my rabbi says to cut off the top, soak in soapy water for 4 minutes and then rinse under a full-force stream of water. that's it.
lettuce/mixed greens - I only buy the katif/bug-free ones. they have a lot of variety and there;s no checking involved
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen