Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Golan for a boy??
Previous  1  2  3

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 9:06 am
amother wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:
amother wrote:
Simcha100 wrote:
My mother is Israeli - my brother's name is Golan and I think its a nice name. I don't think there is soething wrong with it.

Sorry... I just think it puts a kids at a disadvantage and a proclivity to grease, body hair and stonewashed jeans. I'm sure if I knew your bro I would feel totally different.

You are totally obnoxious.

I don't care for the name, but there are nicer ways to say it. Why don't you list your children's names so we can all make snarky comments about them? I won't even hide behind amother to do it....

Chaim, Rivka, Yosef, Shmuel, Eliezer, Chaya. Do your worst.

You can always find. I would say:
- boring
- chayim and chaya? what possessed you?
-chaya? like vilde chaye?
- I know a Rivka and she's off the derech, trashy and obnoxious so you put your kid at a disadvantage

(obviously this is only for amother)

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 9:12 am
Ruchel I agree....

Not that I would ever normally say this to someone...but BORING!

chaylizi

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 9:31 am
hey I have a Chaim & a Chaya. My Chaim has two other names & isn't called that, but whatever. I understand what you were trying to say to amother, but just because names are traditional doesn't make them boring or appropriate to call them that. That doesn't excuse amother's comment, however. I also don't care for the name Golan, I also have "boring" kids names. But I can be mature about it.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 9:32 am
Boring is right. I was so kidding. My kids are Svetchaya, Mushkana, Elioozer, and Tzviellana. Now how's that for exciting?

I don't see why a small joke offended anyone. I just said what most Israelis think when they hear the name Golan. OP asked our opinion, didn't she?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:31 am
kikavu wrote:
just because names are traditional doesn't make them boring or appropriate to call them that.

LOL you obviously don't know my kid's names (and didn't read my last line) LOL

chaylizi

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:41 am
I did read your last line. I also know your daughter's names. I was under the impression that your daughter's names were traditional as well. I wouldn't give those names. I'm relatively sure I don't have any sefardi antecedents. But that doesn't make them not traditional.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:48 am
kikavu wrote:
I did read your last line. I also know your daughter's names. I was under the impression that your daughter's names were traditional as well. I wouldn't give those names. I'm relatively sure I don't have any sefardi antecedents. But that doesn't make them not traditional.

Well that's what I'm saying, I'm NOT criticizing traditional names as I gave ultra traditional if not (nicely) old fashioned names... and don't plan to stop IYH. Btw her third name is yiddish, but that wasn't the question. I don't think today someone would name her second or third name if it's not for family. Or maybe a Huuuuuuge shtetl (or sefardi equivalent? juderia? lol) lover.... first name is coming back to trend but not among Jewish circles. They prefer modern Israeli names. All the older people tell me they loooooooooove her name.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 11:13 am
I'm drawing a blank at her third name? I think I go the first two though. I actually know someone who is completely ashkenazi & married a sefardi boy. her oldest child is named after her mil & is a very traditional sefardi name. just imagine the reactions coming from my very litvish community. it was pretty funny. another friend of mine has a nephew whose mother is moroccan (I think). he has an arabic first name and a very ashkenazi last name- think hamid rosenfeld. it sounds very cute.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 11:37 am
mathilde buena toba

In the chabad community I see a lot of sheyna abouaziz style names, or first names like Messauda Chaya Mushka it is always very interesting.

Seraph

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 11:40 am
I knew a modern orthodox tobi.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 11:42 am
well I did get the first 2 right. that makes sense for chabad. they have a little bit of everything in chabad.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 12:02 pm
kikavu wrote:
well I did get the first 2 right. that makes sense for chabad. they have a little bit of everything in chabad.

yeah. It's really cool they keep their former things too imvho.

toastedbagel

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 9:45 pm
While we are on the subject of names (sorry to highjack the thread),

do any of you know people with the name Aron NOT Aharon - spelled Aleph, Reish, Vav, final Nun, as in closet/cupboard.

My husband's grandfather had that as his first name, and we named for him, and there are a few other great-granchildren (and the youngest grandchild) named Aron that I have never heard other than in his family.

Everyone always thinks his name is Aharon, and when I say he's not Aharon, they say oh, so it's Oren? Rolling Eyes

At his bris, my husband gave out all the kibbudim except for the naming, which he did himself - otherwise we WOULD have ended up with a kid named Aharon...

Anyways, we tell our son that he is Aron like an Aron Kodesh - he gets a kick out of it.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names