Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Book club on imamother
Previous  1  2  3

ny21

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 12:16 am
amother wrote:
SaraG wrote:
I read 4-6 books a week.

are they kiddie books or something, because I dont see how you have the time to read reg. sized books if you're always on this site!

I think this is a nast post ! and the person who wrote this should be kicked
off for a litlle while -

JRKmommy

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 10:57 am
professor wrote:
do you REread books? I'm in the middle of re reading 'Atlas Shrugged' for the third time, for example. (it's a non jewish- very non jewish book so I can't recommend it embarrassed )

It might make for an interesting discussion. While the ideas in the book are definitely at odds with Judaism - Ayn Rand herself was Jewish (albeit non-observant) and her early life in the Soviet Union shaped her strident anti-collective views.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 11:22 am
suomynona wrote:
Chani wrote:
Right now I'm working my way through all of Jane Austen...

Just read Northanger Abbey last week.
The only one I really liked of hers was Pride & Prejudice.

I love Pride and Prejudice. Sense and Sensibility and Emma are also great.

busymom

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 12:47 pm
for ppl wondering what to do with books they bought and read:

there's a great site, paperbackswap.com , that solves this problem. basically, u list all books ur willing to give away, and other members do the same. u can search for books by category, and if u see a book you want, u request it and it gets mailed to you - paid for by sender. similarly, whenever someone requests one of ur books, you mail it and pay postage. every time a book of yours is received you get a credit in your account that you use to request books from other members. I've gotten rid of some books I didn't want and use those credits to get new ones! worth checking out and it costs nothing to join.

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 2:46 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I just read a book called "Until I Find You" by John Irving. He also wrote "The Cider House Rules" and "The World According to Garp".

Excellent author.
r

LOL, I just read "The world according to Garp" last week...what a great book. I also read "a prayer for Owen Meany" by the same author.

I'm just finishing Blessings by Anna Quindlen. she's one of my favorite writers.

professor

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 11:20 pm
JRKmommy wrote:
professor wrote:
do you REread books? I'm in the middle of re reading 'Atlas Shrugged' for the third time, for example. (it's a non jewish- very non jewish book so I can't recommend it embarrassed )

It might make for an interesting discussion. While the ideas in the book are definitely at odds with Judaism - Ayn Rand herself was Jewish (albeit non-observant) and her early life in the Soviet Union shaped her strident anti-collective views.

my question is, is what she wrote in Atlas Shrugged what happened to Russia (The Soviet Union) in the days of communism? if this comunism didn't work in Russia, (or in colorodo etc.) how did it work in the kibbutzim? a single kibbutz in israel is more productive than a whole nation of russia! Oh, well, who is Jhon Galt?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 29 2006, 9:52 am
Momoftwins, I've actually been kicked off a site for the reason was they couldn't believe I read so many books, execised so much, cooked, etc.

They thought I was fake.

Go figure.

JRKmommy

Post Fri, Sep 29 2006, 10:39 am
While the kibbutz system is far from flawless, the one thing that it has going for it is that each kibbutz is small, democratic and voluntary. There is no central government trying to force people into a collective way of life. The motivation to work is provided by the people themselves, and by peer pressure since the small size means that a "slacker" would be resented. There is also a shared sense of purpose.

In Russia, by contrast, you had a state which attempted to control everything - including repressing religious and ethnic expression. People weren't internally motivated to do anything, so they operated out of fear, and corruption was widespread.

professor

Post Fri, Sep 29 2006, 11:23 am
JRKmommy wrote:
While the kibbutz system is far from flawless, the one thing that it has going for it is that each kibbutz is small, democratic and voluntary. There is no central government trying to force people into a collective way of life. The motivation to work is provided by the people themselves, and by peer pressure since the small size means that a "slacker" would be resented. There is also a shared sense of purpose.

In Russia, by contrast, you had a state which attempted to control everything - including repressing religious and ethnic expression. People weren't internally motivated to do anything, so they operated out of fear, and corruption was widespread.

that must be it!! yes! the kibbutznikim are very 'zionists' in the good sense, I mean. they do it for the motivation of forming a state of israel, while in Russia they had none of this patriotism. THEY weren't persecuted for 2000 years. also, in a Kibbuts, you could leave anytime you wish, while Russia had an 'Iron Curtain'. wow! I wonder how she knew about that, Ian Rand (was she really Jewish?) it says that sometimes chochmah is greater than nevuah. she musta really been a chacham to know about the Iron Curtain thast will happen in Russia years after she wrote this book... when she writes about the 'laws' against deserters.
I wonder if Balph Eubank is her idea of a Carl Marx..?

Motek

Post Fri, Sep 29 2006, 12:15 pm
Ayn Rand - Born 1905 Alissa Zinovievna Rosenbaum on February 2 in St. Petersburg, Russia, to Zinovy Zacharovich Rosenbaum ("Fronz") and Anna Borisovna Rosenbaum.

She finished Atlas Shrugged in 1957. The Iron Curtain had been in place for a loooong time already.

professor

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 12:43 pm
wow she really is jewish. I wonder if she was chasiddish? all of that "ivdu es hashem besimcha' none of that atzvus or as she calls it 'suffering'... ha! now I wanna read all of her books! I only read fountainheaD and atlas, so far.

JRKmommy

Post Fri, Oct 06 2006, 11:42 am
I don't know what her family may have been going back a few generations, but she and her immediate family were not religious whatsoever.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room