Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Missing breakfast
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

DefyGravity

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 4:05 pm
It depends what she puts in it. However, basically all she's eaten during the day is 1 bowl of soup, couple pieces of dried fruit, and chips. Then dinner. That's not balanced, even if she has barley, spinach, and beans in the soup.

de_goldy

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 6:30 pm
If you starve your body all day, your body literally goes into "starvation mode" where it holds onto all the fat (chips, chocolate etc) that you are eating later. If you eat healthily during the day, your body will be processing all the food much better.

This is a terrible way to eat!
and low-calorie, whole wheat bread is not so terrible, btw. don't know why everyone has this big hang-up against bread. you just have to eat the right type - as with everything else.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
op here

this is astounding! this sounds like so much food!! how many calories does this come to? I just feel like if I start the day eating this much, my body will expect it. I agree that the water intake is v important, and I never drink soda so that's not an issue for me. but this sounds like a lot of bread for sb trying to lose weight.

I can find out how many calories this comes out to. You'd be surprised how little it actually is.
The key to all this, is finding a well balanced menu, that is both filling, healthful, and low calorie. This menu does just that.
The second most important part of this is NEVER skipping meals or snacks. Your metabilism has to keep working throughout the day.
And the water is most essential.

If you follow this to the letter, I can guarentee that you will lose weight at a really good rate. Limit weighing yourself to once a week.

There are also certain veggies and fruits which are limited (for example, you can only have half a banana, instead of a whole.) I can list the limited fruits and veggies for you if you'd like.

DefyGravity and de_goldy are right. If you do not keep eating low-cal, high-nutritional foods throughout the day, your body will just hold onto your calories, and keep them in reserves. Your metabolism will slow down drastically as well. Even if you lose some weight, you will not be losing at the rate that you could be losing with a well balanced diet.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 1:50 am
I agree with what has been posted. OP, your diet is not balanced. Dried fruit is hardly better than candy. It's very sweet. All the good stuff is dried out of the fruit.

How about having a fruit with a few nuts as a snack instead of dried fruit. How about a bowl of soup with a big salad (maybe having the salad later in the day).

Their are many free online site you can use to help you put in information and see how balanced your day is. I have used fitday.com in the past.

ganizzy

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 2:37 am
with a quick glance it looks like the menu ra mom posted is about 1500 calories
but theres only one serving of milk there

amother

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 5:14 am
ganizzy wrote:

OP here

would I lose weight on 1500cals a day? sounds like a lot.

thank you all for the advice! yes, I'd love to see a nutritionist, but for the time being I'll have to make do with imamother.

so today... I had breakfast! LOL just a small bowl of cornflakes with 1% milk.
mid-morning I had a pear.
lunch will be minestrone soup again (it's got beans, a little pasta, and lots of veggies in it). I still don't want to eat bread with it as I don't see how I'll lose weight.
mid afternoon I'll try and have an apple or some fresh veggies (pepper/cucumber/carrot sticks)
supper is grilled st peter's fish with bulgur/ww rice plus salad or brussel sprouts.

plus lots of water throughout the day. approx how many liters is 6-8 glasses?

does this sound better?! but can I have something to nosh around 5pm?

btw - afaik dried fruit like dates and apricots is actually very good for you. lots of iron and minerals.

sarahd

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 5:38 am
6-8 glasses of water is about 1.5-2 liters. A bit less.

I am inspired by this menu, except that I can't afford chicken/tuna/turkey breast every day. Anyhow, I limit my tuna to one can a week. What other proteins would work?

Blair

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 5:41 am
Before breakfast drink 5 glasses of water then have a healthy breakfast that will give you the energy for the day. You can do it Thumbs Up

GoodEnough

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 8:26 am
op your diet sounds MUCH better, well done! if you really want to lose weight I would suggest not nushing on something in afternoon, rather nibble on handful of nuts or a salad or another fruit.

Also I know you would like to eat with your dh in the evening but I think you are eating very late - it is no wonder that you are starving by 8.30pm. on my current diet which is basically eating like your menu posted today, I was told I musn't eat after 7.30pm, and b'h I have just completed week 1 on this diet and I have lost 5 lbs

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 10:09 am
sarahd wrote:

I am inspired by this menu, except that I can't afford chicken/tuna/turkey breast every day. Anyhow, I limit my tuna to one can a week. What other proteins would work?

Eggs. Oatmeal. Nuts.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 10:33 am
sarahd wrote:

I hardly eat chicken during the week - yesterday's chicken was leftover from shabbos.

I eat a lot of beans and eggs during the week. You can make so many filling meals with beans, they're delicious.

sped

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 11:01 am
Defy Gravity - can you please give some low-cal, filling bean meal ideas? I mean, enough to fill a man's stomach too?
Thanks

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 11:53 am
amother wrote:
ganizzy wrote:

OP here

would I lose weight on 1500cals a day? sounds like a lot.

thank you all for the advice! yes, I'd love to see a nutritionist, but for the time being I'll have to make do with imamother.

so today... I had breakfast! LOL just a small bowl of cornflakes with 1% milk.
mid-morning I had a pear.
lunch will be minestrone soup again (it's got beans, a little pasta, and lots of veggies in it). I still don't want to eat bread with it as I don't see how I'll lose weight.
mid afternoon I'll try and have an apple or some fresh veggies (pepper/cucumber/carrot sticks)
supper is grilled st peter's fish with bulgur/ww rice plus salad or brussel sprouts.

plus lots of water throughout the day. approx how many liters is 6-8 glasses?

does this sound better?! but can I have something to nosh around 5pm?

btw - afaik dried fruit like dates and apricots is actually very good for you. lots of iron and minerals.

Sounds like today's menu is great OP (if there's pasta in the minestrone soup, I would not eat bread with it.)
As far as 5:00pm goes, try to nosh on your 3rd fresh fruit for the day, and extra veggies.
I make a fat free unlimited veggie soup and store containers of it in the freezer to nosh on.
If your dh comes home late, eat at an earlier time, and just have a bowl of soup or a salad with him.
Save the snack for the end of the day, not 5:00pm. That way you will be able to stay on course, and feel proud and accomplished too.

My menu comes out to about 1,200 calories a day! That includes a cup of coffee (with fat free milk and sweetener) a cup of diet soda, 1 tsp olive oil, and a snack at the end of the day!

Breakfast:
120 calories = 2 slices whole wheat bread
78 calories = 1 hard egg
35 calories = 1 cup coffee with 2 oz. fat free milk and fat free sweetener

Snack:
52 calories = 1/2 banana

Lunch:
109 calories = 3 oz. can tuna packed in water
69 calories = salad of 1 tomato, 1 kirby, 1 carrot, and 4 leaves lettuce

Snack:
81 calories = pear

Dinner:
166 calories = 1 piece of baked, grilled or steamed chicken
72 calories = 1/3 cup brown
69 calories = salad
40 calories = 1 tsp olive oil
4 calories = 1 cup diet soda okay, but still have to have 8 cups of water

Snack:
72 calories = apple

Treat:
120 calories

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 11:57 am
sped wrote:
Defy Gravity - can you please give some low-cal, filling bean meal ideas? I mean, enough to fill a man's stomach too?
Thanks

Bean burritos
Bean burgers
Vegetarian chili (or turkey chili)
Bean soups

Sorry, I don't have exact recipes, I usually just go to recipezaar.com and put something together from there.

Seraph

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 12:21 pm
Blair wrote:
Before breakfast drink 5 glasses of water then have a healthy breakfast that will give you the energy for the day. You can do it Thumbs Up
If I had 5 glasses of water in the morning, I would be so queasy that I would throw it up, along with whatever healthy breakfast I had afterwards.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 12:26 pm
I was told that drinking more than 2 cups of water in an hour will wash and flush away vitamins and nutrients. Keep that in mind.

amother

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 1:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I was told that drinking more than 2 cups of water in an hour will wash and flush away vitamins and nutrients. Keep that in mind.

you can also drown yourself. no, don't laugh, it nearly happened to dh before 9 Av one year. he drank so much he was choking.

amother

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 1:54 pm
OP here. I'm going to comment below in CAPITALS to be clear. hope that's OK!

[quote="ra_mom"][quote="amother"]
ganizzy wrote:

Sounds like today's menu is great OP (if there's pasta in the minestrone soup, I would not eat bread with it.)
THE PASTA WAS ACTUALLY VERY MINIMAL, LIKE A COPLE OF TWISTS IN THE WHOLE BOWL. BUT I STILL DIDNT WANT BREAD.
As far as 5:00pm goes, try to nosh on your 3rd fresh fruit for the day, and extra veggies.
SORRY BUT FRUIT JUST DOES NOT DO IT FOR ME! DOES ANYONE ELSE CONSIDER A PIECE OF FRUIT *NOSH*?? I AM VERY DISCIPLINED, BUT THIS IS JUST PUSHING IT!
I make a fat free unlimited veggie soup and store containers of it in the freezer to nosh on.
PLEASE TELL ME WHAT U PUT IN IT.
If your dh comes home late, eat at an earlier time, and just have a bowl of soup or a salad with him.
PROBLEM WITH THIS IS THAT I ALREADY FEEL LIKE I SPEND MY WHOLE DAY IN THE KITCHEN, AND EATING DINNER AT A DIFFERENT TIME TO DH WOULD JUST MEAN SPENDING EVEN MORE TIME THERE!
Save the snack for the end of the day, not 5:00pm. That way you will be able to stay on course, and feel proud and accomplished too.

My menu comes out to about 1,200 calories a day! That includes a cup of coffee (with fat free milk and sweetener) a cup of diet soda, 1 tsp olive oil, and a snack at the end of the day!

Breakfast:
78 calories = 1 hard egg
35 calories = 1 cup coffee with 2 oz. fat free milk and fat free sweetener
DO YOU PUT ANYTHING AT ALL ON THE TOAST OR WITH THE EGG? I THINK I'D NEED AT LEAST 2 OF MY DAILY GLASSES OF WATER JUST TO WASH THAT DOWN IT'S SO DRY.

Snack:
52 calories = 1/2 banana

Lunch:
109 calories = 3 oz. can tuna packed in water
69 calories = salad of 1 tomato, 1 kirby, 1 carrot, and 4 leaves lettuce

Snack:
81 calories = pear

Dinner:
166 calories = 1 piece of baked, grilled or steamed chicken
72 calories = 1/3 cup brown
69 calories = salad
40 calories = 1 tsp olive oil
4 calories = 1 cup diet soda okay, but still have to have 8 cups of water

Snack:
72 calories = apple

Treat:
120 calories

THANKS!

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 2:06 pm
[quote="amother"]OP here. I'm going to comment below in CAPITALS to be clear. hope that's OK!

[quote="ra_mom"][quote="amother"]
ganizzy wrote:

THE PASTA WAS ACTUALLY VERY MINIMAL, LIKE A COPLE OF TWISTS IN THE WHOLE BOWL. BUT I STILL DIDNT WANT BREAD.
SORRY BUT FRUIT JUST DOES NOT DO IT FOR ME! DOES ANYONE ELSE CONSIDER A PIECE OF FRUIT *NOSH*?? I AM VERY DISCIPLINED, BUT THIS IS JUST PUSHING IT!
PLEASE TELL ME WHAT U PUT IN IT.
PROBLEM WITH THIS IS THAT I ALREADY FEEL LIKE I SPEND MY WHOLE DAY IN THE KITCHEN, AND EATING DINNER AT A DIFFERENT TIME TO DH WOULD JUST MEAN SPENDING EVEN MORE TIME THERE!

I do not consider fruit a nosh! It's a snack, meaning something to eat in between meals.
The treat is a nosh! That's reserved for the end of the day.
I know how it is with wanting to wait for dh to come home. I end up waiting for him most nights. But I keep myself from cheating before dinner by eating veggie soup and other fresh veggies.
My fat free unlimited veggie soup looks something like this (it does not contain any limited veggies, so you can eat as many bowls as you need to.)

Fat Free Unlimited Vegetable Soup
Ingredients
• 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
• 2 pkg. mushrooms, thinly sliced from top to bottom
• 1 bunch celery, tops and bottoms removed, then thinly sliced
• 1 bunch carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
• 3 zucchini, cut into chunks with skin
• water to almost cover vegetables (leave 1-inch of vegetables uncovered)
• salt to taste (it needs a nice amount of salt)
Preparation
Place cut up vegetables into an 8 quart pot. Add water.
Bring water to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 40 minutes, with pot cover open a little bit.
Turn off flame. Add salt to taste.
Allow soup to cool. While it cools, the vegetables with get softer.

I just ate a cold bowl of this at work!

amother

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 2:09 pm
ra mom, what veggies are limited?
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise