Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Can't people manage without baby wipes?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Inspired

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 1:17 pm
Strudel wrote:

things like diapers (perhaps she can do without those as well) ?

Technically, yes you could EC or use cloth.
Wink But if you're using disposable, no I don't see it as realistic to not to use sposie wipes too.
When I use the occasional disposable I sometimes use cloth wipes, but I'm washing diapers anyway, which are washed on 60-90 degrees with extra rinses. I wouldn't put a full of poop wipe in a regular laundry load. I guess you could rinse it in the sink, but that is talking a ridiculous amount of water to avoid buying a 6 shekel pack of wipes.
Washing off in the sink has all of the issues mentioned above.

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 1:25 pm
Just like I use toilet paper for myself, I use wipes for my kids.

Fox

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 1:37 pm
RachelEve14 wrote:
By this logic, when your kids threw up on their sheets, did you throw away the PJs, sheets, etc, or did you put them in the washing machine. When little babies have diaper blowouts, do you throw away the outfit or launder it?

Truthfully, I didn't always throw things like that away, but I did usually soak them in a bleach or bleach-alternative solution. I'm not obsessive about these things, though, so I'm sure I wasn't consistent when my kids were little.

I completely agree with you that the newer washing machines give you a lot more control over water temperature, etc. Like so many things, it depends . . . in this case, on whether you have access to a higher-tech washer and a really hot dryer. If you're using cloth diapers anyway, you've probably invested in the necessary equipment and supplies to handle pesky micro-organisms, so adding washclothes to the mix is no big deal. But if you're just looking to leave baby wipes of the shopping list, I'm not sure the economics to do it safely would add up.

Personally, I'd rather use paper towels with a drop of baby oil and put my money in disposable gloves, but that's just me. Also keep in mind that my youngest child is 9, so whatever I say is at least a decade out of date!

willow

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:02 pm
Mishie wrote:
I just wanted to say, maybe they're not a must.
But, I use them for EVERYTHING!!!!!!
I go crazy when we run out of them, and always make sure to have a nice supply in the house.

am I the only one??

No not the only one. Sanity is important to me and they are not expensive.

gold21

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:18 pm
omigod you people. I really dont relate at all to some of the things I am reading about. putting disposable wipes thru a machine? using cloth non-disposable wipes? really... wipes are a definite neccesity! Yes if one is desperate she can get by without wipes, such as one can get by on potatoes and beans for the family every morning and night for a year. but its not easy or normal. And if someone is too poor to buy wipes, of course she should get tzedakah! what is wrong with needing baby wipes? are you ppl for real? just because something is not necessary for actual basic survival of the human race does not mean that its not a necessity. is shampoo a necessity? is soap a necessity? then so are wipes.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:22 pm
gold21 wrote:
omigod you people. I really dont relate at all to some of the things I am reading about. putting disposable wipes thru a machine? using cloth non-disposable wipes? really... wipes are a definite neccesity! Yes if one is desperate she can get by without wipes, such as one can get by on potatoes and beans for the family every morning and night for a year. but its not easy or normal. And if someone is too poor to buy wipes, of course she should get tzedakah! what is wrong with needing baby wipes? are you ppl for real? just because something is not necessary for actual basic survival of the human race does not mean that its not a necessity. is shampoo a necessity? is soap a necessity? then so are wipes.

thats just stupid. I hav sometimes run out of wipes and used paper towels or tissues with water and/or baby lotion. it works just fine.

I would rather give up baby wipes then my dishwasher!

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:23 pm
gold21 wrote:
Yes if one is desperate she can get by without wipes, such as one can get by on potatoes and beans for the family every morning and night for a year. but its not easy or normal.

How come, whenever somebody posts about whether a certain thing is necessary, somebody has to mention beans? This is the most bean-obsessed site I've ever been on.

You don't think it's important that I have a house? What, do you think I should live on beans?

You don't think a person should have more than one winter coat? What's next, forcing me to eat beans?

You think I shouldn't give my husband a hard time for not helping around the house. What are you going to say next, that I should have beans for breakfast?

What is the connection between beans and every other thing on the planet?

Last edited by Clarissa on Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:24 pm
Clarissa wrote:
How come, whenever somebody posts about whether a certain thing is necessary, somebody has to mention beans? This is the most bean-obsessed site I've ever been on.

Lol! You have a point there Smile

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:25 pm
Raisin wrote:
I don't have a dishwasher. Sometimes, I really have to scrape those leftover BEANS off the plates, too.

Flowerpot

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:32 pm
you can come pick up my dishwasher never used it..

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:36 pm
sometimes we do without but wipes can be helpful ... even without baby tushies that are easy to wash quickly ... especially when you have your period ...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:37 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Raisin wrote:
I don't have a dishwasher. Sometimes, I really have to scrape those leftover BEANS off the plates, too.
I don't have a dishwasher, or a washer, or a dryer Sad
But B"H I can afford beans and baby wipes. And I try not to forget that. I don't think paper towels are cheaper than wipes necessarily...

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:40 pm
Strudel wrote:

things like diapers (perhaps she can do without those as well) ?

why do you think we were all toilet-trained at one year old ... it was expensive even to use cloth not to mention gross ...

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:44 pm
You know, while we're at it, maybe we should forgo pads and tampons too and just use some old rags... Rolling Eyes

gold21

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:53 pm
clarissa, lame jab. I dont give a flip about beans. Find me another recent post of mine where I mention beans. It does happen to be a cheap protein. Correct? Ladies, I am all for dishwashers and beans and wipes and whatever else floats your boats. Just stop being weird and saying wipes are not a necessity. K? By the way, why use pads when you have your period? you could save money and stick a sponge in your underwear. no?

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 2:53 pm
[quote="MommyLuv"]You know, while we're at it, maybe we should forgo pads and tampons too and just use some old rags... Rolling Eyes[/quote]

Well, actually there are those who do use cloth pads. (I do.) It's not everyone's cup of tea, perhaps, but I can vouch that they are very comfortable.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:07 pm
I'm all for using reusable stuff to save trees/money/the environment, but some conveniences have just become pretty basic. Baby wipes are one of those things, at least for me. I'd rather go without paper towels and napkins-and I try not to use those things too much- than go without baby wipes.

BinahYeteirah

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:13 pm
I don't use disposable wipes, paper towels, pads, or tampons. I do not own a dishwasher, a washing machine, or a dryer. On top of all that I am EATING BEANS RIGHT NOW!!!

LOL

I am not kidding, either, but I'd be happy to have my tzedakah go for someone else to use those things.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:14 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Raisin wrote:

dishwashers don't really save you the scraping part.

even if you like beans you may not want to eat them every single day. I love mac and cheese and steak (not together) but I would get bored eating them every day. every other day, maybe.

Inspired

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:18 pm
gold21 wrote:
By the way, why use pads when you have your period? you could save money and stick a sponge in your underwear. no?

If you want to get real, in your v@gina, but seems you only want to mock, carry on, I guess.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains