Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you go to a male OB/GYN?
Previous  1  2

Do you care what the relations of your doctor is?
I have a male ob doctor or see both  
 60%  [ 64 ]
I have a female ob doctor or midwife  
 28%  [ 30 ]
I have asked a Rav if it's halachically permissible to see a male doctor  
 2%  [ 3 ]
I have not asked a Rav if it's halachically permissable to see a male doctor  
 8%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 106

Seraph

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 11:45 am
As far as I know, you can go to the doc that you feel will give you the best care, male or female. In my experience with 3 obs, 2 female and 1 male, I was only impressed with the male. I kept going back to him.
Though I'll admit, I've never once had an internal done by him, and I'm delivered by female midwives.

NativeMom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 11:46 am
The OB that delivered my son was male and when I moved I started seeing a male OB/GYN that I liked and felt really comfortable with although I asked to see a women (she didn't have any appointments available). That group no longer takes my insurance so I started seeing a new doc (female) and she's great. I honestly don't care as long as they're good, considerate of my feelings and take my questions/concerns seriously.

Chani

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 1:03 pm
When I was newly religious I asked the shaila and was told that for a professional (specific examples were doctor and hairdresser) it doesn't matter what gender. So, I go to whatever doctor is recommended on the basis of the quality of that doctor - which has meant male ob/gyns as it happens. It's funny, though, that I don't think I would ever go to a man for a haircut, although apparently there's no difference in halacha. I guess it's just that the doctor is so important to have someone with whom you feel comfortable and in whose ability you have confidence that gender is trivial. Whereas with a hairdresser, there's no dearth of qualified ladies out there cutting hair, so why would I ever go to a man.

shosh

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 1:12 pm
In the days when I still needed and bothered to go to gynecologists, I found that the best one that I ever saw was a man. He was frum, and his wife was his receptionist. They were quite elderly at that point- his wife once told me that some of the young women that were going to him at that point were the daughters of his former patients. I found this man to be very kind and fatherly, as well as a good doctor. He's since retired, but everyone knew him when I used to see him (about eight years ago) - Dr. Rosenberg of Jerusalem. When I had to find another gyno after Dr. R. retired, I tried a couple. They were both men, both well recommended, but somehow I never felt as comfortable as I did with Dr. Rosenberg.

Before I found Dr. Rosenberg, I went to a couple of women gynos, and actually had an awful experience with both. Oh well ...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions