Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming after someone--dilemma
Previous  1  2

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jul 16 2009, 3:17 am
My grandfather died 10 days before the twins were born, but my mother didn't like Tzvia and neither did we, so we went with Nechama.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about naming, I think it's each family and what they are comfortable with and feel is right and appropriate.

Aribenj

Post Thu, Jul 16 2009, 2:00 pm
What about using the yiddish or hebrew version of the name? A lot of people used to have names like Dov Ber and Tzvi Hersh. Dov and Ber both mean bear, but Dov is in Hebrew and Ber is in Yiddish.

I know a lot of people who only liked the yidddish or the Hebrew version of the name so they named their baby after the relative, but only gave one of the names (and picked the one they liked) and still got to honor their relative.

I wonder if you could use a different version of the name...

mominisrael2

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 7:39 am
Aribenj wrote:
What about using the yiddish or hebrew version of the name? A lot of people used to have names like Dov Ber and Tzvi Hersh. Dov and Ber both mean bear, but Dov is in Hebrew and Ber is in Yiddish.

I know a lot of people who only liked the yidddish or the Hebrew version of the name so they named their baby after the relative, but only gave one of the names (and picked the one they liked) and still got to honor their relative.

I wonder if you could use a different version of the name...

SIL and I were due at the same time and wanted to name after the same relative, and that's exactly what we ended up doing with our oldest daughters -- relative went by both her Hebrew and Yiddish names, so DD and DN each got one. Going to have to do some nosing around in terms of my current predicament -- my grandmother didn't have a common Hebrew name so I have to figure out what the male equivalent would be, or just pick the closest-sounding name I guess?

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 8:01 am
amother wrote:
Original amother here:

The name is Yisrael.

No offense to anyone, but it's just not our style--at all.
With no offense to you, I am totally Hebraisized and MO. I have lived in the U.S and am in Israel and I cannot for the life of me imagine a sector where the name Yisra-el would not fit, unless you want an English name, in which case all bets are off.
Yisra-el, when pronounced correctly (I myself cannot stand Yisrowell) is absolutely beautiful, with great meaning, and a wonderful way to honor someone's memory.
I thought the name would be along the lines of Isser or Zalman or something like that.... which really don't fit in the MO sector as a first name.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 17 2009, 5:57 pm
OP here.

Tamari,
I understand what you are saying but, I never said it wouldn't fit in my lifestyle. I just simply said that we are MO and like names that are more modern. In my life that name wouldn't work. I'm certain that there are people who think it is a beautiful name, but, again, its just not my style. Like I said before I want nothing more then to honor the memory of DH's father, but I can't imagine ever calling my son a name that I am not comfortable with--nor is my husband.

We will be contacting our rav to discuss what we should do in this case.

Thank you to everyone who gave their responses...and I promise I didn't mean to offend anyone names Yisrael! Smile

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 8:24 am
OP, you said you didn't mean to offend anyone named Yisrael. All I can say to that is, if anyone named Yisrael was on imamother, his bad if he was offended ;-)
May it go well and b'shaa tova and may choosing the name go easy.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 8:37 am
In NY, the common nickname for Yisrael is Sruli. In South Africa it's Rael.

I saw someone posted Yaakov Yisrael... then he can be called Kobi or Jake.

BenTzion might be an alternative...

I personally don't see anything wrong with the name Yisrael and if I were naming for my grandfathers or Ch"vSh a parent, I would definitely make sure to keep the name as it was and have it as the first name.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 8:50 am
it does seem odd that the name Yisrael would not be acceptable in a jewish, frum community. I think you just don't like the name, which is something else.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 8:56 am
JOOC< did your FIL have an English name he went by as well?

tomorrow

Post Sun, Jul 19 2009, 9:18 am
My grandma's name was Tzilah. She was niftar when I was expecting my third, who is my first girl. My husband absolutely wanted nothing to do with that name, as it was Eshet Lemech and so wasn't what he wanted to name for. I waited somewhat patiently as I had another two girls after her and no dice with that name. We now have our baby, Betzalel, based on the same shoresh, and he's for Grandma.

Would something like that help you?

Or maybe something that means the same, like Tzvi for Hershel, or along those lines?

B'sha'ah tovah!

mominisrael2

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 4:11 am
tomorrow wrote:
Or maybe something that means the same, like Tzvi for Hershel, or along those lines?

I'm still confused as to whether this is "allowed" or "not allowed"...my mom's name is Tzivia and was upset when I named my daughter Ayelet, since she is alive and well...was this OK? Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 4:16 am
mominisrael2 wrote:
I'm still confused as to whether this is "allowed" or "not allowed"...my mom's name is Tzivia and was upset when I named my daughter Ayelet, since she is alive and well...was this OK? :? :? :? :? :?

When I was pregnant with my husband's first child (my third) and we found out we were having a boy, he said he wanted to name for his very much alive grandfather. I told him that since we're Ashkenazi, our Minhag is to name only after people who have passed away. However I also knew it was very important to my husband and I told him he needed to do 2 things. First, speak with our Rov and if he said it was OK, to get permission from the grandfather we wanted to name for.

Our Rov said that naming practices are all Minhag and we wouldn't be Over an Averah if we name for a l iving relative. Then we called the grandfather and asked his permission and he was more than honored.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 9:24 am
Technically, there's nothing wrong. I know that my MIL didn't want us to use a certain name that was similar to hers but not at all related (I know, a bit different, but they sounded similar). This may be why, while the name is totally the parent's prerogative, it may be a good idea to at least give the grandparents the heads up. But as far as say, ayin hara, or whatever other reason people don't give certain names over, I don't think your mother has anything to be concerned about.

imamama

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 4:53 am
When you say "modern name" do you mean "modern Hebrew" or English?

Yisrael is a very versatile name, and I've heard it used in all sectors of Judaism.

My son is named Yisrael Amichai, after my grandfather, Chaim Yisrael. He was a Gerer chossid from Lodz. We're DL and live the Shomron.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 5:22 am
imamama wrote:
When you say "modern name" do you mean "modern Hebrew" or English?

Many English/secular names are muuuuuch older than most modern Hebrew names Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names