Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Riot In Boro Park
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

brooklyn

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 1:55 pm
shayna82 wrote:
I agree with the poster about driving through boro park. why do jewish people think that they can bend laws and do whatever, then wehen something like this happens, its a huge deal. we have to respect laws like anyone else.

I agree, There are some in the frum community who feel that laws (especially with regards to driving ) don't apply to them. Double and triple parking in Boro Park and Flatbush is out of hand. How about the summer in the Catskills. Unfortunately almost every year someone dies because they drive like speed demons with no regard for their or other people's safety. If the police were wrong with the way they treated the 75 year old man then a community representative together with an attorney should have gone down to the station afterwords. Lets be real , there are plenty of Jewish judges on the bench who would be sympathetic. Don't forget the local politicians who could have helped. The jews rioted just like the blacks did in CH and LA. I thought we were supposed to be better. Sometimes I wonder.

realeez

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 2:29 pm
sarahd wrote:
the police know perfectly well that Boro Park Jews are not violent people.

and if they thought that before, you can bet they don't think they are so innocent anymore after this! setting a police car on fire??
if you want to be respected, you have to be respectful!

soraya

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 2:35 pm
happyone wrote:
Don't judge by the news...
The guy is hard of hearing, and didnt hear the police tell him to stay in the car, when he opened the door, the police attacked him. The rioting is a major chillul hashem, however, the old guy was completely innnocent and was attacked out of viciousness.

The guy was talking on his cell phone! that's illegal. sure, it's not a violent crime, but it's still illeagal. the police have a DUTY to enforce the law, and that's the law.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 2:37 pm
I don't like to see Jews acting like shvartzes! I think these protesters are identifying to strongly with their black neighbors.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 2:39 pm
brooklyn wrote:
The jews rioted just like the blacks did in CH and LA.

You mean the CH riots that were started when a Jew accidentally killed a black boy, which followed with the murder of Yankel Rosenbaum HY"D? The riots that the police couldn't/refused to stop from happening?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 2:53 pm
If this man is hard of hearing, and thats a big if. Why is he driving. There could c'v be some one honking him and he wouldnt hear.

hardwrknmom

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 3:13 pm
brooklyn wrote:
Don't forget the local politicians who could have helped. The jews rioted just like the blacks did in CH and LA. I thought we were supposed to be better. Sometimes I wonder.

BROOKLYN?? HELLOO?? ARE you serious?? I mean my mouth DROPPED when I read your post!!

The black that rioted in 91 were off their rocker!! They were dictated by David Stinkens and you're telling me it was an embarrassment on the jews part for defending themselves?? The cops couldn't even hold back the blacks. IT was insane. And your telling me I should've just let them punch the blood out of me.

Anyway..in regards to cindy saying the ticketing is good since its out of hand with the double parking, I DO NOT AGREE! Bloomberg is a shmuk and he needs every penny he can and its completely gotten out of hand. It wasn't like this during Guliani days...

amother

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 3:24 pm
Two words! Bein Hazmanim...

realeez

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 3:31 pm
many laws are ultimately for your own safety - talking on the cell while driving is worse than driving under the influence of alchohol, double parking can mean that in the event that an emergency vehicle (ambulence, fire, etc) needs to pass to get to an emergency situation it won't have room, and driving with children on laps or out of car seats is dangerous for obvious reasons. there are many laws that you get fined for that seem ridiculous or a great way to make money - but these ones are there for a reason!

cindy324

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 3:47 pm
Quote:
Anyway..in regards to cindy saying the ticketing is good since its out of hand with the double parking, I DO NOT AGREE! Bloomberg is a shmuk and he needs every penny he can and its completely gotten out of hand. It wasn't like this during Guliani days...

What don't you agree with? that the double parkers should be ticketed, that the bus drivers should be complaining out loud to their passengers because they cannot drive down 49th street without having to squueze between double parked cars. I'm on 13th avenue almost everyday and let me tell you there aren't too many brownies walking around, but the one or two I see are mighty busy. Oh let's not forget the lovely behavior of some who are running to their car while the metermaid is writing up a ticket! They yell and scream and then (and this I saw with my own eyes) grab the ticket from her hand rip it up and throw it at her! Real kiddush hashem.

And if Bloomberg needs money, he's certainly came to the right place to collect it!

sarahd

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 4:20 pm
Yes, driving in BP is a nightmare, and I definitely agree that the cops should go ahead and ticket
- cell phone drivers
- double/tripe/fourple parkers
- red-light runners
- drivers with uncarseated children
- people who cut off other drivers, illegally pass, make left turns from the right lane, generally drive insanely

And I'm not impressed with people who warn others so that they shouldn't get ticketed for the above offenses. Sorry.

But I still think the police overreacted in this case.

happyone

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 4:35 pm
I happened to have been there during the so called riots...
If this is called rioting, than it's not too bad!
The scene looked more like Police rioting, than the Jews - which were hundreds upon hundreds in number.. The chillul hashem was not the "rioting", but the fires which were set in garbage bags along 16th avenue up to the precint. The place was swarming with police dressed in helmets, armor, and sticks. They were making the most noise of all! I was innocently standing by an open front door, waiting to go to my car, off 16th avenue, and approx. 20 police walking in groups starting yelling at me to shut the door. When the door didnt shut within 30 seconds ( I was discussing with my husband what we should do...) They starting using names etc... If you ask me, I lost all respect for them by their behavior. No, the bachurim shouldntve set fires (that's bein hazmanim for you!), and I think whoever did - should get punished for it. however, the situation was pathetic, with an innocent man harrassed when it couldve been dealth with humanely.
My only hope and prayer is that this doesnt lead to more anti-semitism.

goldrose

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 5:48 pm
Quote:
I was innocently standing by an open front door, waiting to go to my car, off 16th avenue, and approx. 20 police walking in groups starting yelling at me to shut the door. When the door didnt shut within 30 seconds ( I was discussing with my husband what we should do...) They starting using names etc...

why is it their business if there's a door open? they dont belong telling you what to do!!

mir11

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 9:15 pm
Police Chief Criticized After Brooklyn Disturbance

http://www.wnbc.com/news/84702.....af=ny

watch this video clip

ChavieK

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 9:57 pm
One can only be responsible for their own behavior. If others riot Jews should too? The man obviously wasn't too hard of hearing to talk on a cell phone & if you drive know the protocal. If youare stopped by police stay in the car, hands on the steering wheel.The police have a right to be safe. This does not mean the police are always right ( my dh is a lawyer & does police brutality cases) But you can't break the law as mentioned before all over BP & cry bad cops.

rosehill

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 10:04 pm
Quote:
This does not mean the police are always right ( my dh is a lawyer & does police brutality cases) But you can't break the law as mentioned before all over BP & cry bad cops.

I agree. And I would add that since we are generally a law abiding population, and since in general we have a good relationship with the NYPD, is it wise to jeapordise that relationship for one incident? Especially since we have enough people in law enforcement, the courts, and politics to handle this situation without rioting.

shoy18

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 10:10 pm
I dont agree with what they did, but those meter maids are evil. Case in Point, I went into a store and left my sil in the car double parked, not in a busy place on a side road. My sil sees the meter maid and gets in the driver seat to move the car, and the woman just wrote her a ticket anyway, she didnt even blink when my sil told her she was moving.

happymom

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 10:53 pm
shoy did I fight for it, or pay the ticket?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 1:05 am

chavamom

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 2:25 am
happyone wrote:

My only hope and prayer is that this doesnt lead to more anti-semitism.

Another mothering board I frequent (non-Jewish) had posts like 'you see Jews get preferential treatment! If it had been blacks or latinos, the police would have beat the rioters down. It's just like the preferential treatment that the US gives to Israel b/c their [the Jews] have so much power in this country.' No joke. And the moderators haven't made them edit.

We are not the masters in this house. Period.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics