Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Even on a budget, it's worth it to spend money on...
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:45 am
I love zipper style bags, especially for salads on Shabbos and yom tov, but as superior as the name brand is, I still get the cheapest.
And we used to get a decent toilet paper but I weaned the family onto Scott. No complaints for many many months.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:47 am
oh,I know. only bc I don't drink it much, but not-from-concentrate OJ....

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:53 am
tampons Twisted Evil

YALT

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:55 am
actually, my friend calculated the cost of running a dishwasher & the cost of paper plates was cheaper.

I personally find that plastic plates is a neccessity. If I had a dishwasher, I'd much rather use real. but until then, plastic it is!

I agree with the cleaning help! & some other stuff.

Add on:

cleaning supplies (broom, mop, vacuum, detergents,)

toys. sad to say, but the jewish ones are not worth the money as they don't last. so go for the regular ones.

gas, electric, phone

pens!

school/tuition

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:59 am
don't waste monies on pantyhose ... they do absolutamenta nada !!!

solo

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 11:20 am
flutterfly wrote:
Quality shoes for the kids.

absolutely agree with this one.
im always disappointed to see little kids with 5 pairs of cute target shoes instead of 1 quality pair

Fox

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 11:30 am
flutterfly wrote:
DSL service Music

Thumbs Up
I feel like I can find solutions to most problems as long as I have good Internet connectivity!

solo

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 11:30 am
a good sheitel.
good painter
time with dh

dimples

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 11:32 am
reynolds crockpot liners!

gryp

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 12:10 pm
sanitizing wipes

brown rice, brown pasta, ww flour, etc.

Atali

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 12:17 pm
A decent used car, preferably with a warranty. If you get a twelve-year-old clunker you will make up the difference on repairs.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 12:23 pm
YALT wrote:
actually, my friend calculated the cost of running a dishwasher & the cost of paper plates was cheaper.

My MIL called the electric company to ask about her model dishwasher. They calculated the cost of running the dishwasher once per day. The electric bill for her dishwasher is somewhere between $6-$7 per month if she runs 30 dishwashing cycles in that month. That is way cheaper than papergoods!

Atali

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 12:25 pm
ra_mom wrote:
YALT wrote:

My MIL called the electric company to ask about her model dishwasher. They calculated the cost of running the dishwasher once per day. The electric bill for her dishwasher is somewhere between $6-$7 per month if she runs 30 dishwashing cycles in that month. That is way cheaper than papergoods!

Is it?

That is approximately the amount I spent on paper goods per month when I used them every day (cheap ones from BJ's)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 12:40 pm
Atali wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
YALT wrote:

Is it?

That is approximately the amount I spent on paper goods per month when I used them every day (cheap ones from BJ's)

I spend way more on papergoods when I use them every day. (I don't buy in bulk - no time.)
In one month I use about 4 packages of plastic cups at $1.79 each, 2 packages 9" plates at $5.99 each, 1/2 of a package 6" plates at $2.99 each, 1/2 of a package 12 oz. bowls at $3.99 each... and about 8 or 9 packages of heavy duty plastic cultery at $1.29 each.
And that doesn't include all the disposable aluminum pans I use in the oven to save myself time washing pots.

Atali

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 12:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Atali wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
YALT wrote:

Is it?

I spend way more on papergoods when I use them every day. (I don't buy in bulk - no time.)
In one month I use about 4 packages of plastic cups at $1.79 each, 2 packages 9" plates at $5.99 each, 1/2 of a package 6" plates at $2.99 each, 1/2 of a package 12 oz. bowls at $3.99 each... and about 8 or 9 packages of heavy duty plastic cultery at $1.29 each.
And that doesn't include all the disposable aluminum pans I use in the oven to save myself time washing pots.

In that case you either need to give up paper goods or find the time to go to BJ's.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 12:56 pm
Atali wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

In that case you either need to give up paper goods or find the time to go to BJ's.

I've been thinking the same thing these last few months Smile
But I still don't think it's worthwhile to get a membership at BJ's just for papergoods.

Atali

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 1:01 pm
BTW, at BJ's they have aluminum foil pans that are called "Half Steam Table Pans" (approx 9 by 13 size) and are much cheaper than the baking pans they sell. They cost $8.99 per package and come with thirty-something (I think 36) pans in the package.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 1:07 pm
That comes out to $0.25 per pan Atali. That's how much I spend on my 9x13 pans at the supermarket Smile

mltjm

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 1:08 pm
Definitely cleaning help. I don't have any yet but I've watched my mother complain and complain about not having any help and it will cost her what? $40 a week to have someone come in and do the bathrooms and floors.
Quality appliances, like washer dryer, and the longest warranty you can get for free repairs and replacements.
The occasional mani-pedi Smile

pobody's nerfect

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 1:12 pm
I buy my foil pans by the case from amazing savings when I go into NY. nowhere else can you get them that cheap!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics