Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Even on a budget, it's worth it to spend money on...
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

skymile

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:13 am
Atali wrote:
BTW, at BJ's they have aluminum foil pans that are called "Half Steam Table Pans" (approx 9 by 13 size) and are much cheaper than the baking pans they sell. They cost $8.99 per package and come with thirty-something (I think 36) pans in the package.

I went cheaper! I got 2 pyrex glass pans and I use those to bake in! and since it's glass, I can use them for milchigs and for fleishigs. and shabbos I store my fish in it! the only thing I use is silver paper. yes I know it's expensive, but until they don't come up with something more ecofriendly (and cheaper of course)- that's what I'll use.

when I just got married I was so tight that I used to go to restaurants to stock up on cutlery/cups/napkins... hubby used to bring milk for my coffee from the beis medrash... embarrassed

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:17 am
luv2cook4eva wrote:
Atali wrote:
BTW, at BJ's they have aluminum foil pans that are called "Half Steam Table Pans" (approx 9 by 13 size) and are much cheaper than the baking pans they sell. They cost $8.99 per package and come with thirty-something (I think 36) pans in the package.

I went cheaper! I got 2 pyrex glass pans and I use those to bake in! and since it's glass, I can use them for milchigs and for fleishigs. and shabbos I store my fish in it! the only thing I use is silver paper. yes I know it's expensive, but until they don't come up with something more ecofriendly (and cheaper of course)- that's what I'll use.

when I just got married I was so tight that I used to go to restaurants to stock up on cutlery/cups/napkins... hubby used to bring milk for my coffee from the beis medrash... embarrassed

Are you sure that you can use it for Milchigs and Fleishigs? I think I remember learning that treated glass absorns so it can't be used for both..?

skymile

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:20 am
didn't think of that. I don't really use it for both (that's why I got 2) it's just that I recently heard about glass not being absorbant to dairy/meat. anyway I wouldn't do it cuz when I grew up there was no such thing as using something for milchigs and for fleishigs...

Atali

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:25 am
ra_mom wrote:
That comes out to $0.25 per pan Atali. That's how much I spend on my 9x13 pans at the supermarket Smile

It is? Okay. I have always seen them priced higher than that but I will have to check again.

sky

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:36 am
Atali wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
That comes out to $0.25 per pan Atali. That's how much I spend on my 9x13 pans at the supermarket Smile

It is? Okay. I have always seen them priced higher than that but I will have to check again.

It is priced higher in Baltimore. In Lakewood or NY if buy it by the case you can get it for .25 or cheaper when on sale.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:41 am
sky wrote:
Atali wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

It is priced higher in Baltimore. In Lakewood or NY if buy it by the case you can get it for .25 or cheaper when on sale.
Even at A-Z?

gryp

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:47 am
Aluminum pans (9x13) are either 4 or 5 for $1 here too.

tato

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:52 am
A car wash in and out at least once a month!

wwmom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:55 am
Atali wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
YALT wrote:
actually, my friend calculated the cost of running a dishwasher & the cost of paper plates was cheaper.

My MIL called the electric company to ask about her model dishwasher. They calculated the cost of running the dishwasher once per day. The electric bill for her dishwasher is somewhere between $6-$7 per month if she runs 30 dishwashing cycles in that month. That is way cheaper than papergoods!

Is it?

That is approximately the amount I spent on paper goods per month when I used them every day (cheap ones from BJ's)

You didn't calculate the cost of the water to run it, just the electric. I still vote for papergoods, saves hours of time washing dishes and time = money!

Atali

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 10:59 am
GR wrote:
Aluminum pans (9x13) are either 4 or 5 for $1 here too.

If they cost that much less in BP it may be worth the trip to stock up.

skymile

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 11:00 am
wwmom wrote:
Atali wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
YALT wrote:
actually, my friend calculated the cost of running a dishwasher & the cost of paper plates was cheaper.

My MIL called the electric company to ask about her model dishwasher. They calculated the cost of running the dishwasher once per day. The electric bill for her dishwasher is somewhere between $6-$7 per month if she runs 30 dishwashing cycles in that month. That is way cheaper than papergoods!

Is it?

That is approximately the amount I spent on paper goods per month when I used them every day (cheap ones from BJ's)

You didn't calculate the cost of the water to run it, just the electric. I still vote for papergoods, saves hours of time washing dishes and time = money!

not everyone pays for water... 8)

tzipp

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 11:06 am
A babysitter, for you and your husband to get out!
Don't need to do something expensive though...

cookielady

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 1:16 pm
Don't forget chocolate.

sim

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 2:04 pm
Good shoes for yourself. HIgh-quality produce (eating fruit etc.).

BusyBeeMommy

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 2:27 pm
wwmom wrote:
Atali wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
YALT wrote:

Is it?

Actually, for those with new, eco-friendly dishwashers, it takes way less water to run a cycle then to wash that same amount of dishes.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 2:43 pm
mltjm wrote:
Definitely cleaning help. I don't have any yet but I've watched my mother complain and complain about not having any help and it will cost her what? $40 a week to have someone come in and do the bathrooms and floors.
Quality appliances, like washer dryer, and the longest warranty you can get for free repairs and replacements.
The occasional mani-pedi Smile

That comment about $40 a week. Don't want to hijack the thread but that is $2k a year! For you, it's worth it to squeeze into your budget. Not so for everyone. I used to get styrofoam cups but then I realized how much a year we were spending. Now I get them only occasionally and there's a lot of grumbling about the dollar store (3 for a dollar) cups we use instead...

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 3:20 pm
Wow, I can't believe people use paperware every day. But paperware is so expensive here, it is certainly cheaper to run my dishwasher. Plus I pay for my rubbish to be be picked up, and I don't pay for water.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 3:57 pm
Phone and internet service. Connecting with people is top priority. Almost everything else I can manage without, or around.

mltjm

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 3:59 pm
amother wrote:

That comment about $40 a week. Don't want to hijack the thread but that is $2k a year! For you, it's worth it to squeeze into your budget. Not so for everyone. I used to get styrofoam cups but then I realized how much a year we were spending. Now I get them only occasionally and there's a lot of grumbling about the dollar store (3 for a dollar) cups we use instead...

we're not hijacking Smile and your definitely right about it adding up to $2k a year. But it's like the title says---even on a budget.... It's all about allocating money to where you want it to go and for the amount of agmas nefesh my mother has from it, I wish she would figure out where to get the money from to do that.

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 4:14 pm
tuition
food, really tasty fruit and vegetables, healthier prepared food, some organics
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics