Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Even on a budget, it's worth it to spend money on...
Previous  1  2  3  4

gryp

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 7:17 pm
Atali wrote:
GR wrote:
Aluminum pans (9x13) are either 4 or 5 for $1 here too.

If they cost that much less in BP it may be worth the trip to stock up.

I keep missing the post that says how much they cost there. Not that .20 a pan is a bad price.

About the dishwasher vs. papergoods, I'm thinking it would depend on family size. I know, growing up, some nights we had to run the cycle three times. Also we used tons of papergoods.
I don't have a dishwasher now, but papergoods are pretty cheap here. I wish I can go through them less quickly but more of us are home all day now so I keep that in mind.

Tova

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 7:20 pm
Not sure if washing dishes costs less or more than running a dishwasher, but I seem to be unique here in that I HAVE a dishwasher and use it to .... store china! I think I ran it 2 times in the past 4 years. I actually enjoy washing dishes by hand. [don't worry, though, I hate doing laundry...]

Atali

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 7:41 pm
GR wrote:
Atali wrote:
GR wrote:

I keep missing the post that says how much they cost there. Not that .20 a pan is a bad price.

About the dishwasher vs. papergoods, I'm thinking it would depend on family size. I know, growing up, some nights we had to run the cycle three times. Also we used tons of papergoods.
I don't have a dishwasher now, but papergoods are pretty cheap here. I wish I can go through them less quickly but more of us are home all day now so I keep that in mind.

Sorry, I misread your post for some reason. I though that you had written that they were 4 for $5 or a dollar each. (I switched the "or" and the "for") embarrassed

Atali

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 7:43 pm
Raisin wrote:
Wow, I can't believe people use paperware every day. But paperware is so expensive here, it is certainly cheaper to run my dishwasher. Plus I pay for my rubbish to be be picked up, and I don't pay for water.

When I lived in Australia I rarely used it.

Here it is so cheap that many people use it instead of dishes.

gryp

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 7:54 pm
Atali wrote:
GR wrote:
Atali wrote:
GR wrote:

Sorry, I misread your post for some reason. I though that you had written that they were 4 for $5 or a dollar each. (I switched the "or" and the "for") embarrassed

Oh, good. LOL. LOL

How much do people pay for paper plates? What's considered a good price? Every store I've looked in sells paper plates for more than the heavy-duty plastic ones go for here, which is 3.99/100.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 10:42 am
I know this has become the paper vs non paper use thread,but one thing I think its worth spending $$ on is therapy if you feel you need it.I am fortunate my therapist accepts my insurance or Id be in very bad shape.I still do pay copays as well as for sessions once insurance funds run out each year.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 3:11 pm
plastic is NOT environmentally safe ... please at least use paper Idea

at walmart you can get a 48 package for about $3.98 ...

gryp

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 5:32 pm
That is way too expensive for me. Might as well throw the money out the window.
I've seen it at Walmart for a 100-pack for a bit over $4. if I'm remembering correctly. Still too much for me. The only time I've ever bought paper plates was a 100-pack for $1, 8 years ago on Utica Ave. I never saw them again.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 5:51 pm
I've seen really cheap (like a penny apiece) paper plates at Kroger and Walgreens. The coated is now going for about 2 cents apiece.

OldYoung

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 8:47 pm
Atali wrote:
A decent used car, preferably with a warranty. If you get a twelve-year-old clunker you will make up the difference on repairs.

Our car is a '98 camry (11 years) and is not a clunker; bH it's in beautiful condition. You can buy an older car that's 12 years old, but Atali is right. It's not worth it to put money into a clunker, and it is worth it to put money into and spend on something that will ultimately need less work (repairs).

It's also worth it to put money into an insurance that will enable you (and your family) to have good healthcare.

I think (and my helmet is on for the tomatoes) that it's worth it to spend money to show appreciation to those who care for your children (babysitters or teachers).

Personally, I have found that it's worth it to pay money and fly instead of drive when traveling long-distance with the family. Otherwise we end up spending on hotels, and my menuchas hanefesh is pretty much non-existent.

theotherone

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 9:02 pm
Life insurance--I need to feel like my family is protected if G-d forbid, something would happen to me or DH.

I also agree with the health insurance--again, I need to feel protected.

anewday

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 10:19 pm
everyone wrote pretty practical things...guess I should I start spending the "extra" money on important things Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 11:55 am
Tova wrote:
Not sure if washing dishes costs less or more than running a dishwasher, but I seem to be unique here in that I HAVE a dishwasher and use it to .... store china! I think I ran it 2 times in the past 4 years. I actually enjoy washing dishes by hand. [don't worry, though, I hate doing laundry...]
I was thinking of calling you last night to wash my dishes Tongue Out (My shoulder has been bothering me lately, and last night it was very bad. So I washed the dishes this AM instead.)

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 1:48 pm
it's cheaper to use paper plates than hire a maid ...

but I've saved a lot of monies this year going green on the paper goods ...
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics