Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Is Target a bargain store like Walmart ?
Previous  1  2

hello

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 4:09 pm
maybe your right but I went to one on green acres rd in valley stream ny!

Chloe

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 4:20 pm
In the August/September season they have great specials on school supplies.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 4:35 pm
ahhh if only I could drive... (I'd go shopping every day. maybe that's why women dont drive by us LOL

hello

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 4:41 pm
I drive & I never go anywhere... WORK!!! maybe thats why women have to work lol!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 4:57 pm
hello wrote:
maybe your right but I went to one on green acres rd in valley stream ny!

that's very far via public transportaion, and then I'd have to shlep home whatever I bought. not worht it for me.

Grandmama

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 9:12 pm
Target is wonderful, they always have fabulous buys. The one near Willy in the Atlantic Mall has so many other great stores like Daffys. I always see groups of women sharing a car service to get there from Willy. Its a few minutes ride. Target has great buys on everything, toys, clothing, things for the house. Excellent quality, and the clearance racks are the best at 70% off and more.
The walmart that is the closest, is in LIC near the airport, and its not the greatest store. It is always a mess, there is no customer service. The bargains are there, but the atmosphere is not the best.
I go to walmart in the country(monticello) and have my fill of school supplies (which I dont really need but love to buy anyway when its ten cents apiece) and all the other junk they sell really cheap. Sometimes you can find great bargains online at walmart.com, kohls.com and target too. I once got a set of couch pillows online at smartbargains.com for a penny apiece! Free Shipping too. I kid you not. But then again, I am a real shopper. The bargains are out there if you have the time and patience to look. I shop only the clearance, unless I am looking for something specific, where I will have to pay the price.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 9:13 pm
Love Target; Hate Walmart.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 9:54 pm
there's a walmart in long island city???

Grandmama

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 10:13 pm
Closest walmarts to Boro Park, numbers 3 and 10 and 11 are all in long island with 3 being the closest.
But its not a nice store, and not in a nice area. I do not go there unless I really have to, very rarely.

1. Kearny, NJ 07032
2. Secaucus, NJ 07094
3. Valley Stream, NY 11581
4. Linden, NJ 07036
5. Union, NJ 07083
6. Woodbridge, NJ 07095
7. Saddle Brook, NJ 07663
8. Old Bridge, NJ 08857
9. Edison, NJ 08818
10. Westbury, NY 11590
11. Uniondale, NY 11553
12. Watchung, NJ 07069
13. East Meadow, NY 11554
14. Piscataway, NJ 08854
15. North Brunswick, NJ 08902
16. Neptune, NJ 07753
17. Cedar Knolls, NJ 07927
18. Freehold, NJ 07728
19. White Plains, NY 10601
20. Riverdale, NJ 07457

Grandmama

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 10:17 pm
It is 30 minutes for the 18 miles from Willy, just checked.
Do you go to the country? Or to Florida? The stores in Florida and NJ are much nicer.
In the summer, they have great buys on fruits and food. Its hard to go out from there without a full wagon. Paper goods, nosh, kosher stuff, and great buys on all kinds of things.
I would go more often but my DH does not have the patience for it.
And although I drive, I hate driving in the country or in out of the way places.

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 11:06 pm
Barbara wrote:
Their labor practices are also (IMHO) questionable.

I won't shop in Walmart for ethical reasons. I don't care if I can get a bargain there.

Grandmama

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 11:23 pm
I asked a frum woman who worked in the country store how she liked her job, and she said it was great.
So I dont believe everything I hear out there from jealous people and mom and pop stores that cant compete and get angry at Walmart. They are here to stay. And I take advantage of the good buys they offer. Why should I pay double and triple elsewhere? When things are cheaper at shop rite or walmart?

pina colada

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 11:33 pm
Grandmama wrote:
Closest walmarts to Boro Park, numbers 3 and 10 and 11 are all in long island with 3 being the closest.
But its not a nice store, and not in a nice area. I do not go there unless I really have to, very rarely.

1. Kearny, NJ 07032
2. Secaucus, NJ 07094
3. Valley Stream, NY 11581
4. Linden, NJ 07036
5. Union, NJ 07083
6. Woodbridge, NJ 07095
7. Saddle Brook, NJ 07663
8. Old Bridge, NJ 08857
9. Edison, NJ 08818
10. Westbury, NY 11590
11. Uniondale, NY 11553
12. Watchung, NJ 07069
13. East Meadow, NY 11554
14. Piscataway, NJ 08854
15. North Brunswick, NJ 08902
16. Neptune, NJ 07753
17. Cedar Knolls, NJ 07927
18. Freehold, NJ 07728
19. White Plains, NY 10601
20. Riverdale, NJ 07457

The one in Kearny is not far, but it is not a super center. The Walmart in Linden is nice and large but coming from bklyn you have to pay a lot in tolls; the verazzano and if I am not mistaken the goethals. We went to get ds a bike but ended spending 18 dollars in tolls.

Annie

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 12:08 am
Based on extensive comparison shopping - I have access to both, here's what I've found --

School Supplies - When Target has their sales before school starts, Target is WAY cheaper, during the year, Walmart is cheaper

Canned Goods - Walmart much cheaper

packaged o-u applesauce - Walmart generally cheaper, but if it's on sale at Target, Target is cheaper

Cereal - Target is almost always cheaper, sometimes by $1/$2 box

Oil - Target is cheaper, even than Costco

Clothing - Walmart is generally cheaper unless you want to hunt sales at Target. Socks, undershirts, tights, knee highs - always cheaper at Walmart

Medicine - varies - check sales, often cheaper at Walgreens or Costco.

Flour/Sugar - generally cheaper at Walmart

Eggs - same

Soymilk - Cheaper at Target and often not available at Walmart

Snacks (pretzels, tortilla chips, potato chips) - always cheaper at Target - especially since their brand is often kosher, but even on the brand name items, they are cheaper by .75 -$1, always, sometimes more.

Disposable tableware - costco is cheapest, target generic brand is pretty good, competes close on price to Walmart.

Paper towels, tissue, toilet paper - know what brands you like, know what their standard prices are, and watch for sales. I usually buy at Costco b/c I like the Kirkland brand and it's cheaper than the other brands I like unless they're really on sale. But, I got a great deal on Puffs tissues at Target a few months ago, so I bought a ton, b/c I love puffs, but don't usually buy it b/c it's too expensive.

Cleaning Supplies - usually Costco, but otherwise Walmart. I haven't been much impressed by Target's generic cleaning stuff and on brand names Walmart is cheaper.

Target clothing is generally trendier, slightly better made, however, the walmart brand (faded glory) shorts I bought for my boys lasted me THREE summers of wear. Pants don't hold up as well b/c well, boys are tough on pants, but the Cherokee pants from Target that were $5 more didn't hold up any better.

My dd likes Walmart knee socks better than Target, and their shabbos tights hold up better than Targets and are cheaper.

Shoes - toss up - I go to Payless during BOGO, Target shoes run too narrow for my dd, or they're too trendy. Walmart doesn't have a great selection either.

Household stuff-- If I really need something and it's not specifically on sale at Target, I'll go to Walmart, b/c usually it's cheaper (rubbermaid, plates, cups, small appliances, etc.) Sometimes I've discovered that a sale at Macy's or Bed Bath and Beyond with a coupon is a better deal than Target or Walmart.

Basically, you need to know what things cost. I actually keep a list in my purse for things like plastic cups, bowls, ziplocs, etc. so that I know when it's a good price or not.

Of course, these prices are not based in NY, but I've found the same similarities when visiting relatives in other major cities.

Edited to add - for bikes and toys, check sales -- end of season Target has great sales, generally, though, Walmart is cheaper on board games and skates and balls and stuff during the year.

punktfarkert

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 10:40 pm
Annie wrote:
Based on extensive comparison shopping - I have access to both, here's what I've found --

School Supplies - When Target has their sales before school starts, Target is WAY cheaper, during the year, Walmart is cheaper

Canned Goods - Walmart much cheaper

packaged o-u applesauce - Walmart generally cheaper, but if it's on sale at Target, Target is cheaper

Cereal - Target is almost always cheaper, sometimes by $1/$2 box

Oil - Target is cheaper, even than Costco

Clothing - Walmart is generally cheaper unless you want to hunt sales at Target. Socks, undershirts, tights, knee highs - always cheaper at Walmart

Medicine - varies - check sales, often cheaper at Walgreens or Costco.

Flour/Sugar - generally cheaper at Walmart

Eggs - same

Soymilk - Cheaper at Target and often not available at Walmart

Snacks (pretzels, tortilla chips, potato chips) - always cheaper at Target - especially since their brand is often kosher, but even on the brand name items, they are cheaper by .75 -$1, always, sometimes more.

Disposable tableware - costco is cheapest, target generic brand is pretty good, competes close on price to Walmart.

Paper towels, tissue, toilet paper - know what brands you like, know what their standard prices are, and watch for sales. I usually buy at Costco b/c I like the Kirkland brand and it's cheaper than the other brands I like unless they're really on sale. But, I got a great deal on Puffs tissues at Target a few months ago, so I bought a ton, b/c I love puffs, but don't usually buy it b/c it's too expensive.

Cleaning Supplies - usually Costco, but otherwise Walmart. I haven't been much impressed by Target's generic cleaning stuff and on brand names Walmart is cheaper.

Target clothing is generally trendier, slightly better made, however, the walmart brand (faded glory) shorts I bought for my boys lasted me THREE summers of wear. Pants don't hold up as well b/c well, boys are tough on pants, but the Cherokee pants from Target that were $5 more didn't hold up any better.

My dd likes Walmart knee socks better than Target, and their shabbos tights hold up better than Targets and are cheaper.

Shoes - toss up - I go to Payless during BOGO, Target shoes run too narrow for my dd, or they're too trendy. Walmart doesn't have a great selection either.

Household stuff-- If I really need something and it's not specifically on sale at Target, I'll go to Walmart, b/c usually it's cheaper (rubbermaid, plates, cups, small appliances, etc.) Sometimes I've discovered that a sale at Macy's or Bed Bath and Beyond with a coupon is a better deal than Target or Walmart.

Basically, you need to know what things cost. I actually keep a list in my purse for things like plastic cups, bowls, ziplocs, etc. so that I know when it's a good price or not.

Of course, these prices are not based in NY, but I've found the same similarities when visiting relatives in other major cities.

Edited to add - for bikes and toys, check sales -- end of season Target has great sales, generally, though, Walmart is cheaper on board games and skates and balls and stuff during the year.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up wow, thanks for posting your cliff's notes!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 10:47 pm
Walmart was cheaper in many items so far when I compared prices.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Oct 24 2009, 10:09 pm
Last Sunday, in different departments, I overheard three different women kvetching about the Target prices; that they didn't think that they were so great anymore.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains