Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Lubavitch men and ties
Previous  1  2  3

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 10:59 am
Quote:
isn't it sad how there are so many divisions between every sect? oooh- he wears a tie, he wears a gartel, a beck...

why sad?

happy2beme

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 11:33 am
Quote:
why sad?

because it separates us.
it reminds me of that story/poem of moshiach came & n/o would accept him because he had the wrong hat- or bent wrong. unfortunately, a lot of ppl just don't accept ppl for themselves

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 12:07 pm
it only seperates us if people think of it as a seperation.

happy2beme

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 12:16 pm
Quote:
it only seperates us if people think of it as a seperation.

exactly

Quote:
The Rebbe MOCKED the wearing of ties. Why did the Rebbe wear a tie then? Maybe because of his position as Nasi. I don't know.

Quote:
tie?! that fashion statement that serves no purpose whatsoever other than to fit in with what everybody else is wearing
?!

doesn't that sound like a separation to u?

happy2beme

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 12:19 pm
sorry motek, don't mean to pick on your post- but the above is bothering me..

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 12:59 pm
No.
Personally, I couldnt care less what other people wear.
but its frowned upon to need to make fashion statements and to be too much into what youre wearing.

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 3:06 pm
timeout wrote:
I asked the owner he said chassidim don't wear shirts buttoned the regular way. This I never knew!

It's because they want to wear right over left, chesed over gevura, not the reverse. Take a look at a picture or video of MBD and you'll see that his double-breasted suit is buttoned "backwards", right over left.

happy2beme wrote:
I thought a gartel was to prepare yourself for tefilla?

It's a halacha:

Quote:
Jewish law (Shulchan Aruch O.C. 91:2) requires that there is a physical divide between the heart and the lower body during prayer. It is commonly explained that separating the upper and lower parts of the body manifests a control of the animal instincts of the person by the distinctly human intellect. Hasidic authorities maintain that a regular belt or the waistband of trousers do not suffice to fulfill this requirement, and that a designated sash is to be used. Additionally, donning a gartel is a preparation for prayer, in accordance with the Biblical verse, Amos 4:12.

In contrast, Mishnah Berurah (91:5) states that any waistband is adequate for the first requirement, however for the second requirement more is needed, which the gartel fulfills.
(or a belt)

Quote:
that doesn't make any sense to me- he mocked? & he wore it? that's very confusing... what is there to mock anyway?

What is there to mock?! don't you think it's ridiculous to have a piece of cloth tied around your neck that serves no practical purpose? And this piece of cloth gets wider and narrower, depending on what fashion dictates. And then of course, certain colors are "in" like yellow etc.

So I assume the Rebbe mocked it for that reason and for the additional reason that of course it's usually a fashion statement. The Rebbe's solid black tie wasn't exactly fashionable and as I wrote earlier, I don't know why the Rebbe wore it.

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 3:18 pm
Does anyone know if the Friediker Rebbe wore a tie or if the Rebbe's father wore a tie, because maybe that is the reason why the Rebbe wore one?

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 4:18 pm
I just looked up and found a picture of the Fr. Rebbe with a tie. But don't know why he wore one and if that's why the Rebbe wore one.

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 4:23 pm
Motek it is interesting isn't it that both the Rebbe and the Fr. Rebbe wore one but yet they did not incourage their Chassidim too.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 4:32 pm
Quote:
The Rebbe MOCKED the wearing of ties. Why did the Rebbe wear a tie then? Maybe because of his position as Nasi. I don't know.

Do you know for certain that he mocked the wearing of ties, or is this something, that you heard from someone that heard from someone that heard this. . .

amother

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 4:37 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Quote:

Do you know for certain that he mocked the wearing of ties, or is this something, that you heard from someone that heard from someone that heard this. . .

I didnt really read the whole thread, but who thinks the verb MOCKED belongs as a description of an action of a Rebbe? Gedolim do not mock, they are on a higher level than that.

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
[who thinks the verb MOCKED belongs as a description of an action of a Rebbe? Gedolim do not mock, they are on a higher level than that.

obviously, you are uninformed (is that why you wrote anonymously?)

yes defy - he mocked it, as well as fashions in general, guys who are concerned about polka dots etc.

The Rebbe mocked other things as well ...

don't like that word, then think "made fun of", "disparaged"

jewishmama - interesting, puzzling, yes

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:
Quote:

I didnt really read the whole thread, but who thinks the verb MOCKED belongs as a description of an action of a Rebbe? Gedolim do not mock, they are on a higher level than that.

That's EXACTLY why I have a problem with that statement.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics