Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
I need ideas for special subjects
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 4:37 pm
I love all those ideas. Fantastic and agree the girls are so lucky to have such enriching subjects!
I presume it's a jewish school? How about how different jewish communities around the world have different cultures/foods/litergies?

How to take care of pets
Another vote for first aid and babysitting training
Telephone manners
How to improve communication/listening skills
Album making/photo scrapping
Making or decorating ceramics
Time management

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 6:24 pm
op, for history of fashion/style, take out any art book. focus on the portraits. you don't even have to know much. tell them that most styles have been around before, and have them study the portraits to see what similarities their own styles have with the portraits. for instance, I have some shoes that would have been considered men's shoes in the time of the french revolution. I can picture them on a guy with a powdered wig, silk stockings and satin knee-length breeches among other things. it's interesting to see how certain fashions are considered feminine now but were masculine then. you can look up the history of platform shoes. they were originally a status symbol. they were made so tall, the owner had to have a couple of servants to lean on while walking.

sim

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:40 pm
wait until I show them the pictures of women wearing bustles. Rolling Laughter

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:42 pm
Other good rounds -- Mah Tovu, Hava Nashira, Hashivenu. I know tons more -- pm me if you want!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:47 pm
sim wrote:
wait until I show them the pictures of women wearing bustles. Rolling Laughter

you think that's totally out of date? they sell padding these days to make women's rear ends look larger. if you show them the bustle pics, you can also introduce them to the bum-roll. same idea as the bustle, but smaller scale. if you can get a copy of pbs's "1900 house" and show them the first episode where they go through the women's wardrobes and tell you that an average outfit weighed ten pounds, I'm sure your students would be interested. I wouldn't recommend the whole series, though. interestingly enough, I'm pretty sure my wedding dress weighed at least ten pounds.

if you want to learn more about historic fashions, do a search for renaissance costumes. the expensive sites are heavily into accuracy. you can learn the importance of a chemise in a renaissance wardrobe, and just how many layers you can fit over it. very interesting. and some of those sites sell bum-rolls Smile

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:49 pm
b'h
Wow Op all I can say is that I wish u were my teacher Wink

Blue jay

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:51 pm
Mummie dearest, your are a walking encyclopedia!

Now Im interested in the history of fashion!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 7:56 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:
Mummie dearest, your are a walking encyclopedia!

Now Im interested in the history of fashion!

you weren't interested before? Wink

I always wanted to buy one of those gorgeous renaissance costumes. too expensive though. one of these days I'll make myself one with all the pieces...

Blue jay

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:01 pm
OOH! A great PUrim costume idea! THe powdered wig would make a great sheitel!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:02 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:
OOH! A great PUrim costume idea! THe powdered wig would make a great sheitel!

I would go for the non-powdered wig type costume. that's not really renaissance, I believe. those came a little later. I could see that working for a french royal court costume, however. the necklines would be hard to work with tznius-wise...

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:03 pm
some renaissance costumes:

http://tudorshoppe.com/Merchan.....T_ENA

Blue jay

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:05 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

'''

Rolling Laughter PUt me down for the kitchen wench costume!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:06 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

'''

Rolling Laughter PUt me down for the kitchen wench costume!

yes, it would seem that site has costumes for wenches or princesses. whatever happened to maiden or nosy old crone?

Blue jay

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:12 pm
All I can say didn't people worry about catching their "Death of cold" back then? The nosy old crone would be the more tsnius line of rennaissance casual wear

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:18 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:
All I can say didn't people worry about catching their "Death of cold" back then? The nosy old crone would be the more tsnius line of rennaissance casual wear

actually, the neckline depended on the chemise worn with the overdress. people generally used their chemise as nightgown, undergarment, and shirt. some were more revealing than others. and some outfits had more layers than others, but the neckline was the chemise. so if you look at their choices in chemise, you'll note that some are off the shoulder while others are just a minor scoopneck. make yourself a less revealing chemise and you'd be a lovely tznius renaissance woman. depending on the style of overdress, of course. some of them...

Blue jay

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:22 pm
Time to go chemise shopping... I think I have a coupon at Macys LOL

Thanks mummie dearest for the fashion history course! This has been very interesting! and may I say funny too LOL

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 8:27 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:
Time to go chemise shopping... I think I have a coupon at Macys LOL

Thanks mummie dearest for the fashion history course! This has been very interesting! and may I say funny too LOL

ho ho. buy a chemise at macy's and it WON'T be a tznius neckline, m'dear. op, you do not have to teach your class that the word chemise is used slightly differently these days but still refers to a lady's garment Smile

see, everything in the fashion world stays the same pretty much.

op, you can also go into etymology with your students for a fun lesson. find some fun words.

sim

Post Sat, Nov 14 2009, 9:23 pm
Thank you, everyone, for the great ideas. I did a mini-unit on Jewish minhagim and liturgies and they were so interested! I'm in middle of preparing a babysitting skills/basic first aid lesson, and this week I did hair and the history of hairstyles. If you think of anything else, post it! Thanks again!

cip

Post Sun, Nov 15 2009, 12:57 am
if you can get computer access, show how to make a powepoint presentation, photo shop a picture, interesting fonts, borders, pictures for newsletters.....

cooking and baking tips

cake decorating tips

fancy friut platters

some basic art tips,like smearing pastels, watercolor paint on diff. fabrics etc.

jewelry making

how to make updo's for simchas(they can make them on their little siblings)

crash course on color palletts, seasons (styles)

personality groupings (as in physcology) (I don't know the word for it)

Tweedledee

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 12:30 pm
"secret ingredients"
special things to add to certain recipies to give it an unusual and delicious taste.

basic photagraphy

"how they used to do things"
maybe tell them about things they do today and how they would have been done a century ago. or what the life of a kid their age would have been like on a regular day 300 years ago.

how bees make honey and the social order of the hive
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics