Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Steroid shot for croup???

amother

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 10:53 pm
I took my dd to the doc tonight, I suspected that she had croup and turns out she does...last 2 nights she wasnt rlly sleeping well, very runny nose, not a crazy couf, but when she would wake up her breathing was heavy and made a noise. The doc diagnosed it as Mild to Moderate croup, and advised the steroid shot, since she did not have the oral on hand, and it was a night appointment, so I would have to wait till tomorrow to get the oral from the pharmacy. I dont know why, but I did not want her to get the shot, the whole thing made me unneasy. My dh was there and said she is deff getting it, so the doc gave it to her. Now I am reading it doesnt rlly help anyway, and it weakens the immune system, etc. so I am very upset. No I am not one against shots, my daughter is all up to date, this just did not sit well with me for some reason. She is 14 months btw. DOes anyone know anything about this, or any experience? Id really appreciate it, thanks

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 12:30 am
If your child isn't breathing well, she could be deprived of oxygen. In that case, you do whatever you have to do to improve her breathing. My dd had steroids via IV when she got sick and her oxygen levels were low.

If you don't trust your ped in general, you should find another one.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 2:47 am
For mild to moderate croup, a shot does sound like a bit much. From your post, it doesn't sound like she was struggling des;erately for oxygen.

Culturedpearls

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 5:29 am
My son was in intensive care with croup as a baby. In your children croup can be very unpredictable & a baby can go blue in minutes.
I agree with your doctor.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 9:33 am
OP here. Thanks for the replies. It didnt seem sooo serious and even she said mild to moderate, so I dont know. Anyway whats done is done. This morning she still has symptoms, Im not sure how much better even. Also, why is my child getting croup in the summer, I thought it was more common in winter months?? Anyone know??

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 11:49 pm
The shot and the oral are the same dosage, just a different delivery. One shot will not make the croup disappear. Steroids are usually given for 3-5 days.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 12:50 am
I had a baby in the intensive care unit with RSV - still I prsonally would not give steroids for croup without trying other methods first. In the winter you can go out into the cold which helps, in the summer I'd just stick with lots of steam, a humidifier (steam seems better than cold - put it high up to avoid burns) or sitting in the bathroom with a hot shower on. Vicks seems to help clear things up for some people too. If things seem to get worse, I'd consider the steroids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics