Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Vanguard's index funds - please explain

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 7:01 pm
I am familiar with basic investing and asset allocation. I want to understand how to practically invest in Vanguard's index funds. Is there a specific fund name or are there many index funds? How do I know which one to choose? How do I set it up? Is it as simple as going to vanguard's website, setting up an account, and transferring money into a fund? Please explain in detail the process of choosing an index fund.

doctorima

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 9:51 pm
There are dozens of Vanguard index funds. The ones you're likely most interested are the S&P 500 Index Fund, the total stock market index fund, the international index fund, and the total bond market index fund. Those are the broadest funds that will help you diversify your money the easiest.

You could probably call them and get somebody to discuss it with you. You can open an account on their web page and fund it by electronic money transfer, or by sending in a check. Then you have to tell them how to allocate it and how much to put where.

5mom

Post Sun, Nov 15 2015, 9:54 pm
Good for you for choosing a responsible way of investing. It's not exciting, but it works.

Vanguard offers many different index funds. There's one that follows the S&P 500, one that follows the market as a whole, etc.

To get started, go to the website and get the number of an advisor. Explain how much you want to invest and what your goals are (retirement savings, saving for a major purpose, extra savings, whatever). You can arrange to have money deducted from a bank account every month for regular investing. When you sell, you can have funds sent back into the account.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics