Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Logistic management

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 3:17 pm
Hi!

Does anyone on here work in logistics?

What is your job? Do you like it? Is it generally more male dominated?

What type of degree do you have? And is the pay good, in general?

Are any of you traveling a lot, or sitting in the office 9-5?

I'm looking to study something related to logistic management, hence the questions.

Thanks in advance!

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 3:32 pm
I worked as a project manager in the public sector, most of my work was design/build in large construction projects. I would say 50% was logistics (human or materials). I've never really looked for a job specific to logistics. I would think that there are opportunities out there. My salary was that of a PM and I think I started at $62k and finished out at about $65K after four years. Because it was public sector my benefits package included fully paid medical, sick leave, employer paid pension (defined benefit) vacation, paid holidays, ets. I think at the time my total compensation was about $89K with benefits equaling about 50% of salary.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 3:38 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I worked as a project manager in the public sector, most of my work was design/build in large construction projects. I would say 50% was logistics (human or materials). I've never really looked for a job specific to logistics. I would think that there are opportunities out there. My salary was that of a PM and I think I started at $62k and finished out at about $65K after four years. Because it was public sector my benefits package included fully paid medical, sick leave, employer paid pension (defined benefit) vacation, paid holidays, ets. I think at the time my total compensation was about $89K with benefits equaling about 50% of salary.

Thanks for the reply!
And what is your degree, if I may ask?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jul 06 2017, 3:47 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the reply!
And what is your degree, if I may ask?

Just a BA with a couple of years worth of law school. I found after a few years in the private sector I much preferred the structure of the public sector. Duties and responsibilities were well defined, salary was lower but the benefits package changed that issue. Hiring and promotion was fair and there were clear cut career paths. My PM classes were all paid for by the state and were at grad school level. I took them while working fulltime and they resulted in a higher pay scale.

As I said I haven't looked to see what is out there re logistics, but PMs are highly recruited positions in the private and public sector. Had I been willing to relocate and enter the private sector, I would have gone to work for NIKE. I had applied for a PM job just to assess my value in the private sector and qualified. That position started at $80K with a benefits package that was well over 45% of salary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics