Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do you afford it???
Previous  1  2  3

Another mom

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
DH and I are both in management positions. Not professionals.
Own home in Brooklyn, send children to school. Have money for what we need and to save but not enough to live big.
No financial support from family.
Combined income of 250K.
That’s how.

curious - when ppl write incomes - is it before or after taxes??
Aren't taxes tons of money?

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:25 am
amother wrote:
How much?
In Queens the school is around $12000

The average Lakewood school is about half that.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:49 am
It's a juggling act. We did not have anymore kids (have 3) as a result. We don't send to super expensive yeshivas. I work in the "outside world" they pay on time and better, but I don't get off yom tov etc and need to use my vacation days for that. I work long hours and yes I have to pay a babysitter for after school which is a huge money sucker.

DH has a business not very thriving but taking it day by day. Save save save....no help from parents here

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
Uhm ok. That escalated quickly. How did we get from tristate area is expensive to circumsision without a rabbi? I'm confused.

OP is worried if she moves oot and/or sends her kids to public school they will lose the connection to the Jewish community and land up married to non Jews.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 11:38 am
According to imamother we’d be considered almost wealthy.
Yet tuition where we send is a joke. 500$ for two kids per month.
We own a summer home, but since we live in the tristate area we can’t afford to buy an actual house yet where we live.
Where we live a down payment is double the amount of the total cost of our summer home. Just the down payment.
So for now we’re still renting in the city and I’m not having another kid until we can buy.

giselle

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 5:38 pm
watergirl wrote:
If you can get in. Isnt that the whole issue there? Why push people to lakewood if they will have these issues?

True. Was just responding to the comment that Lakewood schools are expensive.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 6:41 pm
doctorima wrote:
The average Lakewood school is about half that.

But what kind of schools?
Of course it would be great to have it cheaper, but depends on the level of education. Also, what’s the level of observance? We’re traditional and I wouldn’t want to send to a very yeshivish forum school. My kids are in coed and then it changes at 4th grade, but I wouldn’t mind coed.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:56 pm
I live in the tri-state area. I bought a house in a new part of town and moved with four other families. Now my neighborhood is one of the hottest neighborhoods in town. Bh now my house is worth probably 300k more than what I bought it for. I have an apt in it and that pays part of my mortgage. Bh I have a nice sized house over 3000 square feet so I won't have to worry about space for a while. We make about 150 k combined but didn't go to school so no student loans. My kids go to schools and I don't get any tuition breaks Crying

Bh we are living within our means and can put away some money monthly.

I feel like you have to buy a home when you're young before tuition comes along.

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:37 pm
Babyblue, if you're interested in coed schools, then Lakewood is definitely not the community for you. I was just answering your question where you asked how much cheaper than the $12k tuition in Queens could it be, and the answer is quite a bit. But if you won't be happy there (and can't get in), then it's a moot point.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:39 pm
doctorima wrote:
Babyblue, if you're interested in coed schools, then Lakewood is definitely not the community for you. I was just answering your question where you asked how much cheaper than the $12k tuition in Queens could it be, and the answer is quite a bit. But if you won't be happy there (and can't get in), then it's a moot point.

Ok, that's what I thought. I had a feeling it might not be for us, even if the tuition is less expensive.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics