Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Can we go to my parents?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 11:46 am
My parents live a half hour drive away. The original plan was to spend first days with them. Obviously that's now up in the air. My town is under very strict isolation measures (basically you can only go out for groceries and pharmacy) my parents' town is not as strict, but they're home and practicing social distancing. They really want us to still come for first days, and we want to come too. It would only be my parents, two teen siblings, me and dh plus our kids. We would drive, so getting to them would just be in and out of the car. Assuming no one gets sick between now and erev Pesach, is there any reason not to go?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 11:51 am
following. though in our case, inlaws have my elderly grandmother living with them.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 12:05 pm
Its really hard to know now . Everyone's plans for going away is in the air. We cant know, we hope for the better. Time will tell . U can really not know yet how its gna come down worse or better .

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 12:17 pm
Similar problem. We're too young (very low 20s) and not ready to make Pesach!! (Before I get attacked - I know there are people have made Pesach since day 1 but its not done by us). I'm so nervous Sad

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 12:19 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Similar problem. We're too young (very low 20s) and not ready to make Pesach!! (Before I get attacked - I know there are people have made Pesach since day 1 but its not done by us). I'm so nervous Sad

Many people are making pesach for the 1st time this year. It's not that daunting.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 12:20 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:

The longer you put off making Pesach, the more daunting it becomes. You'll actually be doing yourself a favor if you get started now.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 12:33 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Many people are making pesach for the 1st time this year. It's not that daunting.

Not so nervous about making it actually. Its more how lonely my yom tov is going to be just to the 2 of us. I'm very homesick in general and not being there for Pesach makes it 100 times harder.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 12:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My parents live a half hour drive away. The original plan was to spend first days with them. Obviously that's now up in the air. My town is under very strict isolation measures (basically you can only go out for groceries and pharmacy) my parents' town is not as strict, but they're home and practicing social distancing. They really want us to still come for first days, and we want to come too. It would only be my parents, two teen siblings, me and dh plus our kids. We would drive, so getting to them would just be in and out of the car. Assuming no one gets sick between now and erev Pesach, is there any reason not to go?

If they're 60 or older, that is a reason not to go.

flowergirl8

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 1:40 pm
I'm in the same boat. I am assuming there would be no reason at all I cant go unless someone has the actual virus.

lovingmommy3417

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 2:53 pm
We were planning on going to my in laws for all of pesach. I'm starting to clean at least the bedroom just in case...

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 17 2020, 2:55 pm
I’m nervous how we will afford to make pesach, especially with me not working right now. I took on an extra job before pesach but now can’t go out to work. We are supposed to go away to in laws, but what if something happens that makes that not possible?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 11:55 am
I think it depends where you are. Here in Israel we have been told that it is better for each family, meaning, the people who live in your home, to have the seder with nobody else. There are going to be a lot of small lonlyish seders this year, but hopefully a lot more people not being affected.
Just listen to the health regulations where you live.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 1:04 pm
Prepare like you're staying home, and hope for the best.

A lot of Pesach stuff can be used year round. You'll use the EVOO and the eggs and the tomato sauce. You'll use the meat and chicken and grape juice or wine. Stick to basics.

And the rest can be brought with you if you do go to your relatives.

Buy inexpensive things and disposables. Go to Amazing Savings or Five Below. If there's a Daiso near you, they have some awesome deals.

You don't need kugels and blended soups. A broiled chicken breast and roasted potatoes will work for a week.

Hatzlacha

saralem

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 1:07 pm
PLease Gd, we should see a neis before Pesach. Not that I'm doubting this, but I am preparing for Pesach for just dh and me. no kids or grandchildren, even the ones that live locally. We are in our 60's. just being extra safe. but, hey, I'll be thrilled if this all blows over before Pesach and we can be with family!

thriver

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 1:08 pm
And if anyone is having trouble with buying the basics, there are programs being set up for just this. I don’t know how to start a new chat, but if someone else could or if one exists and one can refer, that would be a huge chesed.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 3:00 pm
The thing is I’m Bh not poor enough to feel like I qualify for these programs, but the extra expense is still so stressful.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 3:51 pm
I'm not concerned about preparing for Pesach. We're always home for chol hamoed and the second days, so I have to get cleaned and kashered regardless of where we are for sedarim. My main issue is that I don't want to have boring, lonely sedarim/3 day YT with just us. Neither do my parents. We're both doing what is required of us in terms of our respective neighborhood's rules for social distancing/isolation, so I'm wondering if it's really crazy to consider going for the sedarim, assuming nobody is sick at that point.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:42 pm
The problem is that many young people are carriers of coronavirus even if they are asymptomatic or have symptoms that are so mild they hardly notice. Also, even people that ARE symptomatic, they can have up to two weeks of being contagious without symtoms before the symptoms show up. So it is unlikely you can be SURE you dont have it. Unless every person in your household literally hasn't left the house AT ALL or touched anything outside your 4 walls AT ALL and no one has come into your house AT ALL. And even then, there is a risk.

itsmeima

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Its really hard to know now . Everyone's plans for going away is in the air. We cant know, we hope for the better. Time will tell . U can really not know yet how its gna come down worse or better .

Pesach is in three weeks, it will only get worse before it gets better!

Please don’t put your parents in danger!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics