Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Bilingual Parents
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 13 2023, 1:28 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
I recently thought about it too. I’ll need to send to playgroup where they speak a different language than I speak at home. Anyone done it? Will the child be using the new language they learned or continue speaking the language at home?

Based on the discussion here, I've gathered that you need to continue speaking your language at home if you want them to be fluent in it. They'll pick up the secondary language quickly enough.

I myself picked up English when I started school and it's now my first language.

Is there a way you can start introducing the secondary language before they start?

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Jul 13 2023, 1:36 pm
I live in Israel and my husband is Israeli. He speaks to the kids in Hebrew and I speak to them in English. My kids only spoke English in the beginning but now prefer Hebrew. None of my kids had speach delays. Two of my kids were extremely early speakers At age 1.5 were talking sentences. My now two year-old is fluent in Hebrew and English and will even ask me to translate words for her.
We didn't do anything special to teach them both languages, it happened on it's own.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 13 2023, 2:39 pm
I think most kids will be fully fluent in the dominant language of their school, and it might even become their main language.
So if you have to focus on one at home, focus on the 'other' one. (Not the one they will learn in school)
My mother spoke to her girls yiddish and to her boys English.
English is my main language because I went to an English speaking school, but I have a good background Yiddish. My brothers have just the opposite.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Jul 13 2023, 5:14 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
I think most kids will be fully fluent in the dominant language of their school, and it might even become their main language.
So if you have to focus on one at home, focus on the 'other' one. (Not the one they will learn in school)
My mother spoke to her girls yiddish and to her boys English.
English is my main language because I went to an English speaking school, but I have a good background Yiddish. My brothers have just the opposite.

Trilingual here.
This is very true.
Op, don't worry about the language in school. They'll learn it and will most probably be more comfortable with that language than the home language eventually so if you really want them to be fluent in both, focus on the home language - specifically broadening their vocabulary as that will make them more comfortable using their less comfortable language.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics