Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
2nd graders - how much homework?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 2:14 pm
Just curious how much homework your 2nd graders get. And also how involved are you with it as a parent? Do they need a lot of assistance from you or can they complete their assignments fairly independently most times? Do you look over their work to make sure it was completed? Do you make it your responsibility to oversee that all folders and work goes back into the backpack or is that solely your child's responsibility.

Having a hard time adjusting to a new school this year and just trying to get a feel for what is normal. Thanks!

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 2:20 pm
2nd grade teacher here. My school says for 2nd grade 10 minutes each for Hebrew and English so it would be 20 minutes total at that grade level. Personally, the worksheets I send home are supposed to be independent work, but the kriyah practice and pesukim to review are to be done with a parent so mistakes can be corrected as they are made.

At that age, you need to teach them habits. They SHOULD (at least eventually) be in charge of putting everything back after HW, but you'll have to get them to that point.

sky

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 2:33 pm
Hebrew is done with a parent:
2 chumash pasukim
5 minutes of kriyah or vocabulary review

English:
Math sheet, approx 15 problems, I expect him to do it himself, but do review the answers with him.
Have not had reading homework yet. I'm expecting it to come, it should take about 5 -10 minutes and require a parent.

I figure about 20 minutes MAXIMUM total with everything. (And then we have to do speech HW as well)

My son is responsible to pack up his back after we complete homework. he also packs his snacks for the next day then. He is also responsible to make sure I sign his homework sheets.

I found 1st grade much harder because the entire English homework had to be done with a parent, 2nd grade I find the English homework lends itself to more independent work while Hebrew still requires parental help.

Last edited by sky on Thu, Sep 17 2015, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 2:35 pm
Last year my second grader had serious homework. Easily an hour per night, sometimes more, and she did need help. BUT - the year before the class had a terrible afternoon teacher so the second grade teacher was trying to get them up to grade level and basically doing two years in one. It was rough but the amount she learned was tremendous.

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 4:02 pm
my 2nd grader does her homework mostly on her own. It takes about 10-20 minutes. I need to test her on spellings. Not counting chumash chazarah.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 4:04 pm
My 2nd grader has not brought home any homework yet. Teacher says it will start after Succos. Thank you Morah S.!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 4:21 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Just curious how much homework your 2nd graders get. And also how involved are you with it as a parent? Do they need a lot of assistance from you or can they complete their assignments fairly independently most times? Do you look over their work to make sure it was completed? Do you make it your responsibility to oversee that all folders and work goes back into the backpack or is that solely your child's responsibility.

Having a hard time adjusting to a new school this year and just trying to get a feel for what is normal. Thanks!

How much? Why too much homework. And tons of evolvement on my end. It has just gotten worse each year from 3rd grade to 4th

studying_torah

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 4:28 pm
What sort of spelling hmwk is usual for a second grader?

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 4:48 pm
I use to teach second grade secular studies.
Homework took about 15 minutes.
Math review sheet
Read 10 minutes to anyone who would listen, book of choice
Fill Daily Reading Log, Title, pages read
Spelling activity, write words 3x or sentences or fill in the blank.
Review spelling words 10 words weekly
Once a month book report on one of the books read.

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 4:50 pm
studying_torah wrote:
What sort of spelling hmwk is usual for a second grader?

Fill in the blank.
Write sentences.
Write words 3-5 times each

studying_torah

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 5:07 pm
My son has to (over the week) put words in abc order, write sentences that I need to then correct, and study for a spelling test, plus a full math sheet and reading. Feels like a lot.

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Sep 19 2015, 9:41 pm
Appreciate the replies. My kids (have 2 in 2nd grade) are getting so much. Everything is only 10-15 minutes, but there are so many of these 10-15 minute assignments to do each night! After so many hours in school I wish my children could just relax and play a bit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children