Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Bird feeder in backyard
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 4:37 am
Anyone have experience in buying one ?
Maintenance?
Do squirrels get to it?

I have a tree in backyard & hear birds chirping & think it’d be so nice to feed them

Any tips would be appreciated

Thx !

bling3

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 4:45 am
amother OP wrote:
Anyone have experience in buying one ?
Maintenance?
Do squirrels get to it?

I have a tree in backyard & hear birds chirping & think it’d be so nice to feed them

Any tips would be appreciated

Thx !

My friend got me into bird feeders. I have a few right now and used a few others previously. I have my feeders hanging on planter sticks. Some people hang from a tree. You need to be able to refill the food. There are different feeders that the food lasts longer. I like the tall tube feeder. Small birds can easily feed on it. I also have a finch feeder with really tiny holes. I have a hummingbird feeder, nice for summer, and a round feeder, but that gets finished really quickly. Bigger birds can eat on it. I like to get the a mix food for the tube and round feeder and nyjer seed for the finch feeder. The squirrels absolutely get them which makes crazy. I smear Vaseline on the pole which stops them. I love the birds that come to my yard. It makes me so happy and relaxed to watch the gorgeous assortment of birds.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 4:53 am
bling3 wrote:
My friend got me into bird feeders. I have a few right now and used a few others previously. I have my feeders hanging on planter sticks. Some people hang from a tree. You need to be able to refill the food. There are different feeders that the food lasts longer. I like the tall tube feeder. Small birds can easily feed on it. I also have a finch feeder with really tiny holes. I have a hummingbird feeder, nice for summer, and a round feeder, but that gets finished really quickly. Bigger birds can eat on it. I like to get the a mix food for the tube and round feeder and nyer seed for the finch feeder. The squirrels absolutely get them which makes crazy. I smear Vaseline on the pole which stops them. I love the birds that come to my yard. It makes me so happy and relaxed to watch the gorgeous assortment of birds.

Where do I buy it?
Do I have to go to a pet store ?
Or can I just buy on Amazon?
How did you know the trick with the Vaseline ?

bling3

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 5:06 am
amother OP wrote:
Where do I buy it?
Do I have to go to a pet store ?
Or can I just buy on Amazon?
How did you know the trick with the Vaseline ?

I bought many over time. Amazon, Home depot, Lowes, Walmart. You learn things as you go along by talking to others, googling.

Here is an article with some types of feeders. You don't have to get this specific ones mentioned. It's the general idea of the type.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...../amp/

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 5:35 am
You will find the freshest birdseed, as well as knowledgeable help, at specialty bird stores.

Squirrels do not go after the nyjer in my tube finch feeders hanging from a pole.

And after years of battle we have finally defeated the squirrels from getting into our window feeder by putting some unstable pvc pipe on the squirrels' landing spot.

By the way, my window feeder is extremely cool, it's this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/6.....ick=1

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 5:53 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
You will find the freshest birdseed, as well as knowledgeable help, at specialty bird stores.

Squirrels do not go after the nyjer in my tube finch feeders hanging from a pole.

And after years of battle we have finally defeated the squirrels from getting into our window feeder by putting some unstable pvc pipe on the squirrels' landing spot.

By the way, my window feeder is extremely cool, it's this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/6.....ick=1

That’s a gorgeous bird feeder ! What do you expect from rubber ducky though. Lol

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 5:56 am
My mother loves birds so we grew up with bird feeders in the backyard.
I suggest getting the long ones with multiple holes where the food comes out.
Yes! Squirrels try to climb on! The best way to stop this is by purchasing his umbrella like piece that goes on the string that the feeder is attached to. This way the squirrels can’t quite reach the bird seed.
You should be able to find all of this at Home Depot or store similar. Perhaps Walmart.

bling3

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 6:27 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:

This feeder is incredible! This is literally bringing the birds into your house.

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, Aug 26 2022, 7:10 am
There's one on sale on Amazon today

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 3:36 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
There's one on sale on Amazon today

Which one ? Can you post a link ?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 5:13 pm
Op here.
I bought a feeder last year & the birds are loving it. & I love watching the exquisite creatures Hashem created ! (But the squirrels also ate up most of the feed.) I got one with the cage surrounding the inner tube but squirrels are very clever. We moved the feeder farther from the squirrels but there’s no ledge for the birds to ’ hang out’
Question for u experts:
So birds NEED a place to hang out after eating the seed from the feeder?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 5:50 pm
Lowe’s has a baffle that u attach to the pole of the feeder as high as you can without interfering with the feeder that keeps the squirrels away.
I use it & the squirrels do not get to my feeder.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style.....aw.ds

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 5:53 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:

This is amazing but don’t get it if you live in Brooklyn! You’ll get rats, not birds.

shoshana2

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 6:31 pm
I have been bird feeding for many years. Squirrels generally do not eat safflower seed.
Best anti squirrel feeder has a spring action that closes the feeder holes when something heavier than a bird gets on it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 3:47 am
shoshana2 wrote:
I have been bird feeding for many years. Squirrels generally do not eat safflower seed.
Best anti squirrel feeder has a spring action that closes the feeder holes when something heavier than a bird gets on it.

Can you show me a pic?
I don’t want to replace ours. We kinda just got it.

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 5:35 am
My Dad has a few bird feeders for a while and the only way he was able to keep the squirrels away was by buying this sizzle n heat bird food it’s spicy for squirrels but not for the birds.

shoshana2

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 6:28 am
Perky-Pet 336-1SR Squirrel-Be-Gone Bird Feeder, 2LB Squirrel Proof Outdoor Wild Bird Feeder with Weight-Activated Perches
Amazon $24.97

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 6:31 am
amother Plum wrote:
This is amazing but don’t get it if you live in Brooklyn! You’ll get rats, not birds.

This was exactly my fear. We had one on our window for a while but the birds were dropping tons of seed into the ground and I was so scared it was gonna attract rodents near my house. I don’t live in Brooklyn or in a city like environment but I don’t kid myself that mice and rats and possums aren’t everywhere at this point but in ny area.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 2:55 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
My Dad has a few bird feeders for a while and the only way he was able to keep the squirrels away was by buying this sizzle n heat bird food it’s spicy for squirrels but not for the birds.

That’s so cool

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 2:56 pm
shoshana2 wrote:
Perky-Pet 336-1SR Squirrel-Be-Gone Bird Feeder, 2LB Squirrel Proof Outdoor Wild Bird Feeder with Weight-Activated Perches
Amazon $24.97

You have this one ?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening