Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Oatmeal!

israel22

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 3:24 pm
hiya! I have all this oatmeal leftover and pesach is coming! I would love to make some yummy oatmeal in some form for breakfast or stam...I tried to make maple and brown sugar in the packets once and that was a flop so any ideas!!! would be great thanks!

pgk

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 3:26 pm
What about oatmeal cookies? The recipe on the cover of Quaker Oats is delicious (except I bake it for 15 minutes instead of 12).

momatwork

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 3:39 pm
Why dont you just cook it for breakfast. One cup of milk add one teaspoon of butter, One tablespoon of Sugar and 1 1/2 Tablespoons Oat bran and 1 1/2 T Farina. It is yummmmmy and very healthy> My son loves this for breakfast.

israel22

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 4:01 pm
for some reason it never tastes like anything...

and as for cookies I was looking more for cooking things breakfasts and stuff like that...

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 4:19 pm
We mix oatmeal into our omelets. Makes it very filling, and tasty too. You can use raw or cooked oatmeal. But we don't have exact recipes here, just make to desired thickness or liquidity. You can thin the omelets with either milk, parve creamer, or water.

greeneyes

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 4:42 pm
Do you have the old fashioned oats or the quick cooking ones? I have a really delicious recipe for pea soup that has quick cooking oats in it. I was a bit afraid to try it, since oatmeal in soup sounded funny to me, but we loved it, & I've made it a bunch of times since. Let me know if you want that recipe.

freidasima

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 4:59 pm
If it is plain oats use it as a filler in chopped meat, or chopped chicken and make hamburgers with it.

stargazer

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 5:32 pm
greeneyes wrote:
Do you have the old fashioned oats or the quick cooking ones? I have a really delicious recipe for pea soup that has quick cooking oats in it. I was a bit afraid to try it, since oatmeal in soup sounded funny to me, but we loved it, & I've made it a bunch of times since. Let me know if you want that recipe.

I make a broccoli soup from Kosher Palette 2 that also calls for quick oats and its so good!
Can you please post the pea soup recipe?

atlastamom

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 5:47 pm
stargazer, can you please post the broccoli soup recipe?
tia

israel22

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 6:55 pm
yeah the brocoli soup recipe sounds good sorry dont' like pea soup!

how do you use oatmeal in omelets just put it in the mixture? sounds so dif?

sky

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 7:02 pm
Try a real breakfast recipe with oatmeal. It is delicous, I've got my dh and kids eating it.

Cook up 3 servings of oats according to directions (about 1 1/2 cups of oats)

Add 1/3 cup raisins (or craisins)
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.

Spoon into bowls and top with one of the following (not all):
1 - 2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 - 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
or sugar sweetner to taste.

stargazer

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 9:36 pm
Velvety Broccoli Soup
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced (I use frozen crushed garlic)
1 quart chicken bullion*
1 large bunch broccoli, chopped (about 1 1/2 lbs)
1 cup water
1/2 cup quick oats
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil on medium-high and saute onion and garlic for 5 minutes until tender. Add broth, broccoli, water, oats, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then let simmer on low for 20-30 minutes until tender. Puree with immersion blender.
* I just added 4 cups of water instead then when it reached a boil added 1 Tbsp chicken soup mix.

Enjoy!

greeneyes

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:43 pm
Stargazer, thanks for posting the broccoli soup recipe! I can't wait to try that.

Here's the recipe for the pea soup:

2 T. butter (I use about 3/4 T. oil instead)
1 onion, diced finely
3 large carrots, peeled & grated
3 cups frozen green peas
salt & pepper,to taste
about 7-8 cups water
1 cup quick cooking oats

In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the onion and carrots & saute until softened, making sure the butter doesn't burn. Add peas & seasonings & cook a few more minutes.

Add water & bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and cook for about 45 minutes.

Add oatmeal, stir, & cook for 15 minutes more.

(This recipe is from the cookbook Spice it Right.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals