Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What baby gate do you recommend?

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 2:25 pm
We are iyh moving to a house with a big flight of stairs and I need to put a baby gate at the top and bottom.

which one do you have and do you recommend it?

also, we will have a porch which has a metal gate around it, but nothing where the stairs are. is there such a gate I can purchase for that as well?

shopaholic

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 3:11 pm
I went to the local baby store & bought what they recommeded. I didnt want to make holes in the wall but there wasn't a choice if I wanted it safe at the top of the stairs. I have a wooden one that happens to match the banister & can be opened & closed with one hand. It;s made by Kidco. They have a website.

Seraph

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 3:15 pm
Depending on what your walls are made out of...
Here, walls are made out of cement. Wooden gates that screw in to the wall are garbage here, because chunks of cement just broke off the 4 times we tried to put it up. I prefer gates that adjust to size, and then you close them, but not screw in.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 4:09 pm
I dont care about drilling holes in the wall. if thats what has to be done to keep my kids safe, so be it. the steps are not carpeted so I'm extra nervous about anyone falling down.

are there any differences between metal and wood besides for asthetics? also, the pressure ones all seem to have a bar on the floor which I think would be dangerous on steps, like you have to remember to step over that too, or am I making myself nuts?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 6:27 pm
I recommend the evenflo top of the stair gate for top and bottom. it's wood, works well, is easy to operate, and can easily be lifted off the hardware if need be. if you want you can stain it with wood stain to a color you like. and it's reasonably priced.

as for outside, you may want to contact someone who does iron work and just have a swinging door added to the gate you already have. that way it'll look normal. if you can get them to make it lockable, you'll have an instant outdoor playpen with no worries about escaping children.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 7:50 pm
I love one step ahead for gates. They have great gates and service. I got a good gate there for the top of the steps-was like fifty bucks.

octopus

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 8:23 pm
evenflo top of stair. hands-down.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 8:25 pm
I like the evenflo gates bc they can be doorways. unfortunately dd found them slightly too easy to knock over. so I have a couple of adjustable safety first gates. yes I have to climb over them or take them down every time I need taht doorway. sure beats chasing my dd around the house though.

justanothermother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 9:04 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
also, the pressure ones all seem to have a bar on the floor which I think would be dangerous on steps, like you have to remember to step over that too, or am I making myself nuts?

The pressure mounted gates are being held in by the force exerted to the sides. If a child were to exert a greater force in a different direction, the gate can shift out of place. Imagine a toddler leaning forward against the gate and jumping up against it. I would not recommend a pressure mounted for the top of stairs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics