Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken breast for shabbot... quick!

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 3:27 am
I defrosted 2 packages of bone in chicken breast for lunch. I was originally going to make small snitzels and bread them all, but there is a ton already and I've only done 1 package. Anything I can do for Shabbot that won't taste like dried rubber? Can I put it in the crockpot with lots of liquid, potatos and some barely and have like a chullent? Or is there not enough fat / flavor in the chicken breast to pull that off.

I can always do more snitzels and freeze for next week, but I thought some variety might be nice.

Marion

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 3:40 am
Stir fry. Cube the chicken breast, throw in a pan with a touch of oil, soy sauce garlic, brown sugar, and whatever cut veggies you have on hand. Takes about 20 minutes of simmering/cooking time.

Otherwise, yes, throw it in the crockpot with some liquid and "stuff" and you have chicken stew.

greentiger

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 4:40 am
Chicken Marsala. I made this once for shabbos when all I had was chicken breasts. I improvised since I didnt have marsala wine but it was great with a regular dry red wine, and mushroom sauce.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 4:51 am
Marion wrote:
Stir fry. Cube the chicken breast, throw in a pan with a touch of oil, soy sauce garlic, brown sugar, and whatever cut veggies you have on hand. Takes about 20 minutes of simmering/cooking time.

Otherwise, yes, throw it in the crockpot with some liquid and "stuff" and you have chicken stew.

I didn't want to stir fry because I think it would dry out for tomorrow. I might try it in the crock pot though. Still debating. I found a box of shake & bake so I might just go ahead and make them all chicken nuggets and deal with the leftovers.

entropy

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 6:17 am
I vote schnitzel them all up and freeze for next week.

fiddle

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 6:26 am
do a different type of cutlet, roll it with deli or with kishka (kbd) bread it and and serve bit of both

Seraph

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 6:28 am
Just cut them into shnitzel sized peices, season them, and bake them uncovered, checking after 10 minutes, then after five, etc... As soon as it all turns color, its ready.
And once u cook it that way, it can be quite tasty cold.

My favorite way to bake it is honey mustard. And then it tastes amazing in a chef salad shabbos day.

shalhevet

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 6:35 am
I've been making a great recipe the last few weeks:

Bake slices of eggplant, coated on both sides with olive oil until brown.

Fry chopped/ sliced onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes and I can't remember what else in more olive oil. Cook. Add a cup of red wine and season.

Put veggie mixture on the bottom of a saucepan. Add strips of uncooked chicken breast. Put sliced eggplant on the top. Cook until the chicken is soft. It's delicious.

bubby

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 7:03 am
Shalhevet, is that for Shabbos day or just a regular meal? Do you keep it hot or serve cold/room temp? Sounds delicious...& Pesachdik!! I'm going to try it! Minus the garlic.

shalhevet

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 7:27 am
I serve it hot Friday night (keep it on the plata). On Shabbos morning I take out pieces of chicken and veggies with a fork and heat them, but I understood here that Lub doesn't do that unless completely dry. We do as long as the dry food is the ikkar with just a drop of gravy/ sauce.

Bli neder I'll post the original recipe on Sunday.

bubby

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 7:42 am
Thanks...I really think my family will like it, it has their fave ingredients: fried onions, chicken breasts & WINE!!!

Bet it's nice hot & fresh on a bed of rice. Ooh, the possibilities Very Happy

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 9:14 am
Thanks for all the ideas. Shellhevet, I might try yours next week.

In the end I decided to make most of it snitzel, and left out 2 pieces to do honey mustard for tonight for just us (dh's favorite, he's not a big fan of snitzel so I didn't want to serve it both meals).

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 10:18 am
chicken can be cooked in as many ways as you care to learn ...

Seraph

Post Sat, Mar 21 2009, 3:54 pm
RachelEve14 wrote:

In the end I decided to make most of it snitzel, and left out 2 pieces to do honey mustard for tonight for just us (dh's favorite, he's not a big fan of snitzel so I didn't want to serve it both meals).
Did you cook the honey mustard for short enough? How did it end up tasting?

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 2:05 am
greenfire wrote:
chicken can be cooked in as many ways as you care to learn ...

I know. I cook a lot of chicken and dh is a cook. I wasn't so clear in the OP, but I was asking about ways to cook chicken breast for Shabbos lunch. We don't put liquidy things on the plata, and we don't like cold chicken. Chicken breast tends to dry out very quicky so I was wondering about tried and true crock pot things (so they could be left on), or non breaded recipes that wouldn't get totally dried out and yuck.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 2:07 am
Seraph wrote:
RachelEve14 wrote:

Did you cook the honey mustard for short enough? How did it end up tasting?

Yup, it came out really yummy. It would have been better marinated, but what can you do. I used mayo, honey & mustard so it would be a bit more coated. Thirty minutes covered, 10 minutes uncovered, and put it on the plata right before Shabbot with couscous & veggies. Yum.

jem

Post Sun, Mar 22 2009, 2:18 am
how about making a chicken loaf?
cook it in a sauce.the next day its moist.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey