Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Jachnun in cholent- tips please

Seraph

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 11:50 am
Ok, so I got some answers to my jachnun in cholent question in my other thread, but decided to dedicate a whole thread to the topic.
Do I put it in frozen or defrosted?
Must I wrap it, and if so, in aluminum foil or is parchment paper also ok?
You put it on top of cholent- but my cholent has water on top when I cook it- so its submerged in the water then, yea?

Any other ideas/tips so I dont ruin it.

Zus

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 2:15 pm
Put it in a cooking bag and keep the opening of the cooking bag out of the pot so moist won't come in and ruin it. That happens if the bag is all the way in the pot, even if it's tied well and even if that part is sticking out of the aater.
IIRC my MIL puts them in frozen.

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 3:20 pm
I spray some tin foil and put the jachnoon inside, wrap it around (not too tight but tight enough so no liquid really gets in). My cholent is also soupy/watery on top, I just gently place it on top with the seam side up.

Oh ya, I also put it in frozen.

mamacita

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 6:43 pm
I do like montralmommy. It's sooooo yum! Dh once accidentally bought the kind that you can microwave and eat right away, not thrilling. It was ok, but obviously not the same.

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 7:17 pm
I wrap it frozen in silver foil. It tastes very good. My family goes nuts for it

cl

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 7:22 pm
my MIL makes me jachnun and sends it over from Israel! I never thought to put it in the cholent tho. I will try it this week as I have only a few pieces left and I want to finish it b4 pesach.
for those of u who use tin-foil and put it on top of the cholent: is the jachnun (after cooking all night) softish/mushy? or dryish, more like pastry?

avimom

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 7:27 pm
Funny- we put ours on the bottom of the cholent and we don't wrap it at all. Yum!

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 8:21 pm
mine (in foil and on top of cholent) come out more pastry'ish which is how we like it. I once did it where the foil was very loose and it came out wet - almost kugel'ish

sweet

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 10:00 pm
I put mine in loose, unwrapped and frozi in the middle of the chulent. Comes out delicous
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus