Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
5 week old with a cold/cough

sporty

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 8:36 am
My dd came down with a cold and cough and she is only 5 1/2 weeks old. I feel so sad for her, she's always making noises in her sleep, probably trying to clear out her nose/throat. I called my dr. and they said use saline and a humidifier. They didn't say to bring her in to get checked. I barely slept last night bc I am so worried about her. This morning I put her in the bouncy so she's more elevated than in the bassinet (which I elevated slightly too).
I figured that colds just run their course and as long as she sleeps and keeps drinking she should be ok, right?

supermama2

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 10:00 am
Right. Just do as Dr. suggested and give it a week or so to run it's course.

lubmommy

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 10:56 am
I've had infants get a cold in the first week! Maybe take vitamin c and some other immune booster so she gets some through nursing.

Refuah Shelaima!

rexie

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 12:29 pm
I know what you're going through because my baby had the same thing when he was around 9 weeks. I did the same thing:

1- use a humidifier
2- saline drops in nose
3- elevate head

It went away on its own soon after that. She'll be okay, don't worry Smile But if you start to hear her coughing very loudly, almost like a bark, then call the doctor again because she might have croup.

sporty

Post Fri, Mar 27 2009, 7:57 am
I feel so bad for her and she seems to have woken up worse today, the cold seems pretty bad. She is so unhappy. My concern is if she starts eating less. As it is she was due to eat an hour ago and she's fast asleep.....she normally eats every 3 hours.

supermama2

Post Fri, Mar 27 2009, 9:02 am
A couple of hours late for feeding will not hurt, the body heals as one sleeps Smile

drumjj

Post Fri, Mar 27 2009, 9:26 am
I think my daughter is developing a cough and a cold we have all had it at home how can she not. however much I try to keep her away from the other kids ive also had it so she must be getting it. there really is not much u can do at all. I hope she gets better soon.

sporty

Post Fri, Mar 27 2009, 9:45 am
She just drank 2 oz of pedialite (sp?) and that was all. My dr. said to try that for her. I'm so sad for her, she keeps crying when she coughs. She fell back asleep, I guess next bottle I will try breast milk, I am going to pump a bottle for her now and I hope she will take it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics