Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
ChaSIdsiche v. Chaseeeedish
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 6:56 am
there is noone to quote because it isnt written anywhere, but rather it's an intricate part of the system and it's a nuance picked up by those in the system itself. and no, not all groups reach out to make b.t. I think all groups will welcome, or at least not shun, b.t., but not all groups actively seek to make b.t.

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 7:18 am
Quote:
The only kind of Chabad left is Lubavitch. The others did not survive the wars and pogroms. So, for today, the term Chabad and Lubavitch are interchangeable.

SaraG, what are you talking about? where have you heard this? The Alter Rebbe obviously is the founder of Chabad Chassidus. are you talking about some Chassidim who thought at certain points that the next Rebbeim should be brothers of the ones who were chosen?

Quote:
sarahd - I find the word "accosting" in your post offensive because even though the literal meaning is neutral, it often is used in a negative sense

it sure is. Confused

Quote:
I summed it up once as saying the difference betw. quantity and quality. chabad believes in making as many balei teshuvah as possible,

that would be nice, for sure, but not exactly accurate.
we dont try and make quick-fix Baalei Teshuvos. actually the point of doing mivtzoim, asking ladies to bench lecht, putting tefillin on men, hanging up mezuzos, benching lulav and esrog, etc etc., is because one mitzvah leads to another, which will eventually lead the non-observant on the street to do another mitzvah, bringing him closer to Yiddishkeit. also, every mitzvah a Yid does brings down a special revelation of G-dliness to this world which brings Moshiach closer, the time where the revelations of G-dliness will be everywhere, and actually revealed to us.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 8:10 am
Motek, I appreciate you "stepping up to the plate" to help me out. I made some mistakes- you corrected them - and I appreciate it.

BUT - yes, there used to be more Chabad groups - Chochma Bina Daas...but as I said, they died out.

Remember the Tzemach Tzedek? And all the boys were set up like individual Rebbeim and they had their own homes and their own followers? But it didn't flourish.

It was only one Rebbe and one lineage.

As far as the food thing, I know that differnet groups say different things, that certain kugels are refuah or whatever, but it's not minhag Chabad. Our minhagim have little to do with food & other chitzonius.

I don't think this thresad is controversial, if we stick to the facts.

Lastly, I'm glad that people are enjoying this thread. Thank Technic for the idea!

Mommy912

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 8:46 am
SaraG wrote:

Technic mentioned that maybe I should start a thread discussing this, and to be perfectly honest, the idea did cross my mind over Shabbos.
Thank Technic for the idea!

hisorerus wrote:
If you'd like to start a new thread on terms that, taken literally, prove a misconception, go right ahead...

This thread is really very confusing. Please do your best to verify that statements are accurate before posting.

Is the point of the thread to explain Chabad? To elevate one group at the expense of another????

Blossom

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 8:56 am
A little 'splanation of what this thread is all about would really be appreciated. Confused

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 9:06 am
It was discussed on another thread that Lubavitchers are not really considered considered "Chassidische".

So, Technic suggesed I bring it up on another thread.

Again, I am just stating the facts, no one should feel hurt or slighted by them.

Mommy912

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 9:33 am
SaraG wrote:
So, Technic suggesed I bring it up on another thread.
Again, I am just stating the facts

IT WAS HISORERUS WHO SUGGESTED IT!!

Again, what exactly is the point of this thread? It seems to have been started because of a linguistical misunderstanding and is traveling in the direction of promoting Chabad by way of minimizing other groups.

SaraG wrote:
It was discussed on another thread that Lubavitchers are not really considered considered "Chassidische".

Please quote the post where this was said.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 9:41 am
1. There definitely were Chabad groups that were not Lubavitch. The Alter Rebbe's student was a Rebbe for some time (can't spell the name of the Chassidus so won't try now :-)), Kopust, etc. These were other groups who followed Chabad and traced back to the Alter Rebbe, but were not Lubavitch.

2. mommy912-unfortunately, no one is saying anything about non-Lubavitch groups, so it sounds one-sided, but there is another, very beautiful side that someone who belongs to one of those groups should talk about! I am a Lubavitcher so I don't want to represent another group, as it's inappropriate and I don't know enough.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 11:05 am
Crayon210 wrote:
1. There definitely were Chabad groups that were not Lubavitch. The Alter Rebbe's student was a Rebbe for some time (can't spell the name of the Chassidus so won't try now.

Shtrashel

Quote:
The others did not survive the wars and pogroms.

and there weren't worthy successors

and even when the Fr Rebbe (6th Lub. Rebbe) came to America, how many Chasidim were there? hardly any

Crayon210

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 11:22 am
They were still Chabad-Chassidic groups!

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 1:07 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
They were still Chabad-Chassidic groups!

don't know what you mean, what you're referring to

Crayon210

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 1:09 pm
Meaning, they were still Chassidim who followed the Chabad school of thought.

Also, my husband just informed me that after the Kopuster became a Rebbe (at the same time as the Maharash, fourth Lubavitcher Rebbe), the former had thousands of chassidim, while the latter had hardly a minyan.

lucky

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 1:19 pm
I am Satmar, But I am not official spokesperson, or PR dept. so I can only explain my views.
Satmar is definetly more into how you dress, Your mode of dress classifies you how frum you are.
We are very overprotective of our children, so we usually don't invite non-religious strangers for shabbos. But we don't shun B"Ts. We have gayrim as a part of our community. We have our own outreach in form of helping others who are having dificulties.
Conformity IS the general rule in everything. Yes we all cook the same things for shabbos(the amount of salt and pepper is optional though LOL )
Yiddish is our first language, Women do not drive cars. We have many restrictions that are in place to protect our community from outside influences.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 3:19 pm
I really appreciate the opportunity to learn about other types of Chassidim. I think that we could do a lot to bring strengthen achdus and bring Moshiach by understanding one another. I have learned a lot about Satmar by reading their posts on this website.

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 4:31 pm
lucky, thank you for speaking up. nice post.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 4:39 pm
lucky-

Thanks for reminding us about a MAJOR element of Satmar life--CHESED. The amount of chesed that the Satmar ladies are involved in is incredible--bikur cholim, hachnasas orchim, etc. etc. I am always very impressed at the seriousness with which these ladies take their "jobs" as baalos chesed!

timeout

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 4:41 pm
Lucky that was very nice and informative.

I think that alot of other chassidic sects feel first they should keep there own children on the path I.e. dress and schooling than they help out others only if they think it would not hurt there families (like not inviting single boys if they have a single daughter in the house and vice versa).

I know in my in laws house they would only invite girls if my brother in law was away in Yeshivah or at freinds. If they had girls over with my sister in law who was in high school at the time they would try and make sure that she would have a good influence on them rather than the other way around.

Just my 2 cents DO NOT JUMP DOWN MY THROAT please Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 4:44 pm
No, no, there's nothing wrong with that!

Again - it doesn't make one group more Chassidishe or better or stronger or taller or more blonde!

And that's the whole purpose of my thread, here!

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 4:56 pm
timeout wrote:
I know in my in laws house they would only invite girls if my brother in law was away in Yeshivah or at freinds. If they had girls over with my sister in law who was in high school at the time they would try and make sure that she would have a good influence on them rather than the other way around.

something that many frum people, yeshivish too, would consider rather important!

roza

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 5:03 pm
I think that, it's safe to say that Chabad is very diverse group and within Chabad (Chochma Binah Daas) there are many chassidim who are really CHaGaS. The same can be said about other groups.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics