Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Bypassing auto shut-off on oven

Rikola

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 12:37 am
We just moved into a new place, just renting so I can't replace the oven. It has an automatic shut-off after 12 hours. I need an oven for Pesach. I have tried Googling the model # and going to the product's website but the oven must be too old to access any info. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to bypass this feature or another choice for a 3-day yuntif??? I'm getting nervous about what I'm going to do.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 3:33 am
Does it have a digital display? Try the star-k website?

Ima'la

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 3:36 am
It should say how to bypass it in the owner's manual, which I'm assuming you don't have...Try contacting the company. If that is not successful, an experienced repair person might know - especially if he is frum or services many frum customers.

Rikola

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 6:53 pm
Well, I got an e-mail back from Star-K that basically said sorry, there's nothing to do about it.

I have no idea what to do. Guess we'll be eating Crispy-O's and gefilte fish for the first 3 days ...

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 7:29 pm
You can't bypass the auto shutoff because the oven is controlled by a computer chip. Essentially, in order to fix the problem you'd have to replace the computerboard in the oven with a nearly identical one that has a Shabbos mode programmed in -- not possible.Sad

Consider buying a large low-tech toaster oven or a small commercial tabletop oven -- dials only, no digital anything! -- and keep it at one temp all Yom Tov. Or cook all your food before Yom Tov and reheat on a blech on the stovetop.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 7:48 pm
what's the model#? I helped a neighbor do hers even though her model was older than mine using my manual. we tried a bunch of combinations similar to the ones written in my manual. maybe try looking at the oldest similar model's book and see if you can figure something out? You have to hold whatever buttons it is for a long time - like 10 seconds or something.

Barbara

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 8:06 pm
You could cook in advance, then heat on the blech. Or, maybe this would work:

http://www.nesco.com/category_.....dde3/

Just make sure it doesn't have any automatic shut off!

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 8:11 pm
call the company and ask them advice on how to do it ...

sky

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 8:17 pm
Find out. The oven that came with our house (non-kosher) had a 12 hour over ride meaning it turned off after 12 hours but you could over ride it by pressing 2 buttons together for 15 seconds. It doesn't necessarily have to be a shabbos mode. Try calling the company and ask about the 12 hour override.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 8:36 pm
Rikola, you might be better off doing all the oven work before yomtov, or into the first night, then letting it shut off. Can't you leave a burner or 2 on so you can reheat food?

Barring that option, get a plata (hotplate). We love ours !!!

Rikola

Post Wed, Apr 01 2009, 4:59 pm
Thanks everyone for such great ideas. As a surprise, my mom got me a plata today! It is such a relief! And I put an order in for catered food ... so all I have to do is open a package and reheat. My simchas chag has officially returned. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen