Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Washing hands after touching hair

chatz

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 3:15 pm
I recently heard someone in shul say something like "I just put on my shaitel and forgot to wash my hands." She then went to wash her hands before davening.

I've never heard that a married woman has to wash her hands after touching her hair - not from my kallah teacher, school teachers, sisters, or even skimming a kitzur. On the other hand, you have to wash your hands after touching a part of the body normally covered. . .

Does anyone know if there is such a halacha? It would be a pain in the neck to wash my hands every time I touch my hair, but I would for clear halacha.

Note that I mean HAIR and NOT SCALP.

Aidelmom

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 3:26 pm
I never heard of such a halacha. Maybe she touched her scalp as she was putting on the sheitel?

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 4:18 pm
people do this indeedy ...

mamacita

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 4:33 pm
I specifically asked this question to my rav and was told I didn't need to wash my hands after touching my hair (which is always covered) only the scalp. I thought it was a good question, but I still got a funny look from him, hehe.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 4:34 pm
Chatz, maybe she got dressed first and didn't wash from that.

DevorahMonsey

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 12:53 pm
I was taught you wash after you touch your scalp, so if you reach under your sheitel to scratch your head, for example, you wash for that. I suppose a girl who shaves underneath would have to wash each time she puts on her sheitel because she's automatically touching her scalp, but if she had hair it shouldn't be a concern from "casual contact."

mimivan

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 6:52 pm
many people wash their hands before davening...because they might have touched their hair or something else...

realeez

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 6:59 pm
And men rub their hands on a wooden surface (like table or shtender) after putting on tefillin shel rosh since they likely touch their scalp.

OP, I heard someone once say similar to me but she had said how she needs to wash negel vasser after combing her sheitel. Confused Never heard of it otherwise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions