Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Tapes to CD

su7kids

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 7:54 pm
We just got ourselves an awesome gift.

Its a dual cassette player (which we didn't really need) which connects to the computer and we are going to record all our kids' tapes onto CD for our children's families. Nobody listens to tapes anymore, and they get ruined!!!

This is awesome. The machine cost about $150 with postage, and I think is going to be worth it.

Some of the tapes we have, you can't even buy anymore. "Mitzvah Tree", etc.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 7:59 pm
Hey, when I saw the topic I thought u were going to ask how to copy from tape to cd..
I'm dying to buy that machine, I have soo many million tapes, that I dont use and would love to have them on cds, or at least on the computer.

maybe you can lend it to me when youre done copying tapes???

su7kids

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 8:10 pm
Purple Rox! wrote:
Hey, when I saw the topic I thought u were going to ask how to copy from tape to cd..
I'm dying to buy that machine, I have soo many million tapes, that I dont use and would love to have them on cds, or at least on the computer.

maybe you can lend it to me when youre done copying tapes???

Its a bit big to shlep.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/elect.....9778/

daisy

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 8:16 pm
Have you tried this yet? We are interested in doing this, just wondering if it works well. Thanks!

su7kids

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 8:41 pm
Itgs working great. It saves an mp3 file to your computer and then you print it to a CD or transfer it to your ipod or mp3 player.

Its awesome.

We got the "big" machine because we have tons of tapes to copy over.

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 12:34 pm
If you have a mac you can get audio hijack and a cable which goes from your computer to your stero and do the same thing. Also it lets you record from various applications like firefox and quicktime.

it's so much fun being able to do this. Also I've recorded a funny answering machine message that my daughter did and then turned it into mp3.

Some of the stuff you can do with audio hijack might be against halacha though. I reviewed various shailas asked to Rabbi Belsky which are online which cleared up some of the confusion.

MrsLeo

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 12:50 pm
You can use any tape recorder that has an output that gets connected to the computer.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 1:01 pm
yeah, sorry to rain on your parade, but you can buy a cheap cable, download some cheap software, and connect any tape recorder to your computer and record the contents of the tape and turn to mp3. I did it all the time...

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 1:03 pm
What about vhs to dvd?

su7kids

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 3:01 pm
bashinda wrote:
If you have a mac you can get audio hijack and a cable which goes from your computer to your stero and do the same thing. Also it lets you record from various applications like firefox and quicktime.

it's so much fun being able to do this. Also I've recorded a funny answering machine message that my daughter did and then turned it into mp3.

Some of the stuff you can do with audio hijack might be against halacha though. I reviewed various shailas asked to Rabbi Belsky which are online which cleared up some of the confusion.

You can do that with a PC too. But we didn't have a stereo.

MrsLeo

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 3:18 pm
yo'ma wrote:
What about vhs to dvd?

Same thing. You connect a vcr to the computer and capture the footage using a video editing software.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 3:20 pm
ignore this

Last edited by yo'ma on Thu, Apr 10 2008, 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 3:22 pm
MrsLeo wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
What about vhs to dvd?

Same thing. You connect a vcr to the computer and capture the footage using a video editing software.

Thank you, that's brilliant. Too bad, our vcr doesn't work here because of pal and stuff and then one of my lovely children used it as a cave or something for one of his toys, so now it doesn't work at all.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 3:24 pm
su7kids wrote:
bashinda wrote:

You can do that with a PC too. But we didn't have a stereo.
You buy a $30 walkman and it works just fine, you plug in the adaptor in the headphone jack.

but it's fine, enjoy your machine!

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 5:24 am
Mamabear, where would I get that adaptor, what's it called?

I also saw this online (while searching for the machine that su bought)
http://www.dak.com/reviews/2020storyt.cfm?Gca

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 6:52 am
I dont know the name of it, it's an audio adaptor, you can probably get it at any electronics or computer place.

bashinda

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 7:28 am
it 's nice to have a stereo so it souns like a good deal for su7kids [:

PR, we have the audio. It's the same thing on both ends. I'll try to ask DH what it's called. It fits in the headphone jack on my stereo and some other jack on the back of my computer. I feel so electronics illiterate.

curlyhead

Post Sat, May 02 2009, 10:48 pm
With the machine you how long does it take to copy over? The full length of the tape (30 or 45 minutes) or is there a way to speed it up and do it faster? I once used an expensive machine that only took a few minutes each tape. I was wondering if there is something similar which does it fast and which is affordable.

zissy2004

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 3:53 am
OK, can someone explain, in the plainest english, what to look for on my tape recorder? im dying to do this! I have a tape which I desperately want on my computer. english isnt my first language so please explain simple what I have to do and buy.

thanks so much!

bashinda

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 10:48 am
I'll try my best. I have a mac btw

1. I got a cable which goes from the headphone jack in my stereo to one of the outlets in the back of my computer (I don't think it's the headphone on the computer)

2. I got the software audio hijaak by radio omoeba. I ended up getting the pro one. You can "hijack" audio from various sources on the computer (itunes, quicktime, web browsers etc) and they also have something called default system input which is what works for recording tapes. I choose that. Type in some info which they called tags. Pretty much only the title seems to be saved so I just do that. Then you can record whatever you like. If it's songs you can have it split the file into a new one every time there's a new song. You can save in a variety of formats depending on whether it's spoken word or music and so on.

And that's the full story. With the non pro version of the application there's maybe one more step to setting it up and it doesn't have so many formats you can save to but otherwise it's the same.

Although this software is just for macs it's highly likely there's other software for windows based machines.

I liked it because the total cost with the cable and the software was somewhere between US$40-50 or less even. I can't remember.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics