Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken on 200 in the oven

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 5:02 pm
Has anyone ever made chicken that baked the whole day on 200 (or 250 - can't remember) in the oven? What did you put on it? For approximately how many hours did it bake? Did you skin it? Starting work tomorrow and I need to be able to take care of supper in the mornings... I know I can also use a crock pot but not sure how much liquid it should have in order for the chicken no to dry out.

Any way I can make rice or other sides that way too?

TIA Smile

cindy324

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 5:07 pm
I wouldn't do the oven thing. I never tried baking chicken o such low temp, not sure of the results.

I would use the crock pot on low setting, just brown the chicken a bit first, then put enough water to almost cover the chicken and veggies. It won't dry out, it's not like cholent where the beans and barley soak up all the water. I do this a lot with meat and almost all the water is still there after 12 hrs.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 5:12 pm
I just like the oven baked taste of chicken better. Chicken lets out juices when it cooks and I'm afraid it'll taste like what chicken from soup tastes... is that right or am I mistaken?

Oh, and also, is the chicken supposed to be covered or uncovered?

supermama2

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 5:15 pm
Hmm would a crock pot work instead for you? I've never tried ckn. in the oven at 200 before.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 5:31 pm
I just got some crock pot recipes for chicken that I'll be trying, but I would really love to know if anyone did it the oven way.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 5:53 pm
leaving a chicken on a low heat all day can cause salmonella - not to mention possibly very dry and tasteless ...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 6:11 pm
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
Has anyone ever made chicken that baked the whole day on 200 (or 250 - can't remember) in the oven? What did you put on it? For approximately how many hours did it bake? Did you skin it? Starting work tomorrow and I need to be able to take care of supper in the mornings... I know I can also use a crock pot but not sure how much liquid it should have in order for the chicken no to dry out.

Any way I can make rice or other sides that way too?

TIA Smile

maybe try freezing it firs,t then setting a timer. it still is very iffy on the hot days though !!! For the hottest days, I'd cook it the night before or in the am.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 9:12 pm
Hi there BusyBeeMommy!
Chicken slow cooked in the oven at 200 degrees can be very dangerous due to the risk of salmonella.
The lowest you can bake your chicken on is 325. But more than 4 hours, and you'll end up with very dry chicken.
So... if you don't have a timer, the oven would not be the way to go.
(On the same note, frozen chicken cannot be cooked in a slow cooker/crock pot. Salmonella poisening is very likely c"v. Chicken can only be slow cooked once it's already defrosted.)
If you do not enjoy the taste of chicken in the crockpot, I would suggest that you make a stove-top chicken stew or the like with lots of water, and leave it to cook for 8 hours on a very low flame, to be ready for when you come home. You can also make a hearty meal in a bowl soup with meat and barley. If you're used to making chulent on the stove-top, you should already be familiar with how much water, etc. you will need.
Btw, I find that adding water to chicken in the crockpot, makes the chicken taste like watered down soup chicken. Meat comes out amazing in the crockpot, as who doesn't enjoy a well flavored tender meat? Chicken is a bit harder to master in the crockpot, but leaving out all liquids, or most liquids, is key to tasty chicken in the crockpot. Also, thick sauces spread thickly over chicken, without any liquid, works well.
On Erev the second days, I saw a thread about chicken in the crockpot, and a poster posted a 20-40 clove garlic chicken recipe from another website. It looks delish, and I will let you know if it comes out good once I try it.
Good luck!

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Apr 19 2009, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 9:15 pm
I would also not do it because of the health risks. Check out the crock pot threads. I made aweome chicken that way - rice, chicken and veggies and it all tasted great! I have to find out the recipe I used. it was so easy and the meat just fell off the bone.

goodheart

Post Sun, Apr 19 2009, 11:16 pm
I do it all the time cube up pot &sweet pot
add the chicken pour over ducksauce add
alittle water and bake all day. u can also do
chicken & rice spices bake all day in the oven

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 1:04 am
If you do the chicken whole in the crock pot, it will dry out less and be more like roasted chicken. I sit whole chicken on onion & potatoes with just a cup of water or so and cook all day. YUM.

If you have an hour whn you get home, you can do dump chicken. When you buy the chicken you freeze it in ziplock bags in sauce. Then the night before you dump the chicken into a pan and put in the fridge. When you come home just bake it at 350 like you would normally.

ValleyMom

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 10:07 am
Hey Rachel that idea is so absolutely crazy I am going totry it... Thanks for the fabulous tip.
What types of sauces do you freeze the chicken with??????

RachelEve14

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 10:11 am
If you google "dump chicken recipes" you will get a lot of different options.

I have done honey mustard before, and one or 2 other ones.

I will try to come back bli nadar on Sunday. An hour to Shabbos here. I'm just sitting to have my 10 minute break while the floors dry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey