Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Asthma attacks

chani30

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 1:35 am
my daughter suffers terribly fom asthma is there anything to prevent it from happening she never had it before got it the first time at age 8 and she is now almost 10

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 2:07 am
First you need to take her to an allergist to make sure her asthma IS allergy related.

My daughter has it and hers basically went away when she started allergy shot treatment. Unfortunately halfway through she stopped because traveling and whatnot once a week to the allergist was too much for her and she was always sore from the injections.

I would LOVE for her to get the shots again, but it's her choice. (She's 16 now, she was 14-15 when going for treatment).

chani30

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 2:16 am
she does suffer from allergies

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 2:17 am
So take her to her allergist and discuss possible treatment.

Ima'la

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 2:23 am
An allergist is the best place to go because most allergists also specialize in asthma. Another possibility (if the asthma cannot be eliminated by treating the allergies) is to take a low-dose steroid inhaler (and/or Singulair) on a regular basis to prevent the asthma flare-ups. Often allergic people are also asthmatic, even when not exposed to allergens. Treating the asthma preventatively helps avoid having to take much higher doses of the medication when an attack occurs.

little miss sunshine

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 11:53 am
my son has allergies as well as asthma and I took to a pulminary dr in manhattan and the reason for that is that allergy as well as asthma are pulminary related so they can help the best.
good luck with everything

greenfire

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 10:56 pm
I was just going to say a pulmonologist as well ... especially for bad asthma ...

good luck !!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics