Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How can you tell if a Canteloupe is ripe?

Pineapple

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 9:06 pm
Any way?

Or should I just hope it is?

NativeMom

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 9:15 pm
smell it. If it smells like a cantaloupe it's ripe. When they aren't you can't really smell anything.

june21

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 9:57 pm
youtube, how to has a good clip that shows how to tell:
push sligtly in, by the top part if u can its ripe. it has a yellowish color to it. it smells good

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 10:09 pm
Yup, by its smell. When it's ripe, it smells sweet.

Pineapple

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 10:55 pm
I found a youtube video

I dont think mine is good yet Confused

anuta

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 11:43 am
I can't see the video from where I am , but if you push in the stem end with your thumb, it should give a little.
For watermelon, same thing (but it would not give so much), but also you can knock on it and a ripe one would sound hollower than others.
Just play with a few in the supermarket and you'll be able to tell the difference.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 12:00 pm
Press on the ends slightly. If it gives a little, it's ready to eat.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 12:03 pm
the cantaloupe ball should be soft but firm - not hard ... and the bellybutton should smell sweet ... like cantaloupe ... Wink

Pineapple

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 12:13 pm
Its weird bec its sounds hollow when I kncok on it but it doesnt smell like anything Confused

anuta

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 12:26 pm
Pineapple wrote:
Its weird bec its sounds hollow when I kncok on it but it doesnt smell like anything Confused

The hollow sound was the sign for watermelon, not cantaloupe.
Smell is not so telling either because there can be bunches of good smelling cantaloups there, and smell could be a sign that it is OVERripe. The give when pressing the stem end is the best sign.

Pineapple

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 12:27 pm
anuta wrote:
Pineapple wrote:

The hollow sound was the sign for watermelon, not cantaloupe.
Smell is not so telling either because there can be bunches of good smelling cantaloups there, and smell could be a sign that it is OVERripe. The give when pressing the stem end is the best sign.

it does give a little when pressed but no smell

They mentioned hollow sound onthe you tube clip

NativeMom

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 4:24 pm
When I was a newly wed I used to work for my cousin in his fruit and vegetable store and they told me that you can tell by the smell. Knocking was for watermelon and I think honeydew?

OOTBubby

Post Fri, May 08 2009, 4:29 pm
It should smell sweet, the skin under the netting and the netting should both be beige and not green and the naval should not have a piece sticking out of it.

Pineapple

Post Sat, May 09 2009, 10:39 pm
I dotn think it was ripe

I'm saving it for next week Smile

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 4:13 pm
My FIL shakes cantaloupe to check if it's ripe. He claims if it's ripe the part around seeds get liquidy and he can tell by the slight swishing sound. I haven't quite figured if it's true or not. Any other melon shakers?

OOTBubby

Post Sun, May 10 2009, 4:19 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
My FIL shakes cantaloupe to check if it's ripe. He claims if it's ripe the part around seeds get liquidy and he can tell by the slight swishing sound. I haven't quite figured if it's true or not. Any other melon shakers?

I think when it reaches that point it may be overripe.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 4:37 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Mrs Bissli wrote:

I think when it reaches that point it may be overripe.

No, he's really a canteloupe maven. Always get the perfectly ripe ones but not over-ripe. But then again I don't know how he does it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen