Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Pig- Chazir

hardwrknmom

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 4:17 pm
I know you're probably thinking what the heck is a pig question doing on here, but thats kinda what I was thinking when I read that when Moshiach comes, we will eat PIG!!! That's why pig is called Chazur- which means Chozer- to go back/return(thanks Sara Yehudis:).

I just can't fathom the thought!

Last edited by hardwrknmom on Thu, Feb 16 2006, 8:16 am; edited 2 times in total

goldrose

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 4:26 pm
especially since we learn now what a dirty disgusting animal it is. and how unhealthy too!

shoy18

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 4:30 pm
I never new that, its so interesting

lucky

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 4:32 pm
What Scratching Head

hardwrknmom

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 4:32 pm
goldrose wrote:
especially since we learn now what a dirty disgusting animal it is. and how unhealthy too!

That's what I said till I realized most animals are dirty!

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Feb 15 2006, 4:53 pm
It is called chazir "lomoh nikra shmoi chazir? she'ossid hakadosh baruch hu l'hachaziro l'yisroel" Why is it called chazir? Because Hakadosh Baruch Hu in the future will return it to the Jewsih people. It's from the root to return, l'hachzir brought from Shu"t Radvaz chelek 2, siman 828.

There are some explanations I'd have to look up. Some references are Yefeh To'ar on VaYikra Rabbah 13:3,
Shaloh Erech Torah Sheb'ksav 184,
Rabbenu Bechayei on parshas Shmini. "es hagamal".
S'dei chemed Chelek 18, Pe'as HaSadeh 8:8.

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 7:28 am
SaraYehudis wrote:
It is called chazir "lomoh nikra shmoi chazir? she'ossid hakadosh baruch hu l'hachaziro l'yisroel" Why is it called chazir? Because Hakadosh Baruch Hu in the future will return it to the Jewsih people.

It's a Medrash.

needs explaining because we know that one of the principles of faith is that the Torah doesn't change!

the pig sticks its split hooves out as though to say: see, I'm kosher! even though it's not kosher

Quote:
Yet the pig's ability to assume the semblance, however superficially, of a kosher animal reflects on a level of holiness embedded deep within it. For only if it contained within it a hidden good,[2] would it be able to pull off its clever charade. No falsehood can long be maintained without some basis of truth. Our strong antipathy towards the pig, and our solid rejection of it, serve to "cut off" the part of it which is negative and evil, and leave only its pure essence.

In the Messianic Era, when the true Divine nature of every creature will be openly revealed, the pig will stand vindicated as a kosher animal. Because with all its posing and prancing, the pig does one thing for us. It forces us to confront our own insidious evil nature, combat it, and ultimately rise above it. So the choice is ours. We can mask our deficiencies by verbally maligning the innocent pig, or we can recognize the pig for what it is: a mirror to our own animal selves. We must concentrate on perfecting and purifying our own animal souls, and G-d will reciprocate by "koshering" the pig.

http://www.moshiach.com/discov.....;c=14

queen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 7:30 am
HARD TO SWALLOW
(in response to posters original question)

pun intended

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 8:11 am
It's one thing for the animal to ACT dirty, you're only eating the inside, but if it eats dirty things (like the bottom feeder fish who eat all the garbage on the ocean floor), that ain't kosher!

BlumaG

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 9:03 am
I remeber my grandfather teaching me that when I was younger, its wierd to think about it

Crayon210

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 10:50 am
Not for most ba'alei teshuva... :-)

chen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 4:48 pm
goldrose wrote:

in reality, a swine is no dirtier than a cow or a chicken, which you would know if you ever went to a state fair.

furthermore, we do not avoid pork b/c it is "dirty and disgusting". on the contrary, the appropriate attitude is "I would love to eat pork, I'm sure it is delicious, but I do not because Hashem Yisborach commanded me not to."

the "dirty and disgusting' line is a self-defense mechanism we use to ensure that we never have any desire to commit this particular aveirah. it's very effective--witness how many unobservant people who cheerfully eat seafood and cheeseburgers nevertheless draw the line at "the other white meat"--but it is not, in fact, the correct attitude and does nothing to enhance one's observance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics