Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can I freeze food in a ceramic baking dish?

dee's mommy

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 7:57 pm
I cooked a dish for Shavuos today in a ceramic baking dish. (It is supposed to be a dish that you both bake in and serve from). I like to avoid using disposable aluminum pans as much as possible.)

Anyway, since this is for Shavuos, can I freeze this dish in the ceramic baking dish, or should I take out the food (stuffed jumbo pasta shells) and store it in another container?

Thanks.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 8:47 pm
My guess is, it will crack in the oven. Same with glass... If you change extreme temperatures, little air pockets will form inside which will crack/explode suddenly. Example, take a glass mug out of the dishwasher, it is hot. Drink freezing cold juice in it, it will crack in your hands!

cookielady

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 8:49 pm
You have a chance of it surviving if you thaw it and let it get to room temp before putting it in the oven.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 9:57 pm
I do it all the time, but never put it into the oven when still frozen. Maybe straight from the refrigerator, or even more often at room temperature. No problem in the freezer though.

louche

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 9:11 am
Go ahead. As long as you thaw it before putting in a hot oven there is no problem at all (except that it ties up your dish!). Or you can put it still frozen into a cold oven and it will gradually warm up as the oven does. The risk of shattering is when a cold dish touches a hot surface or vice versa. The sudden change in temp is what causes the breakage.

middos

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 7:51 am
helpful tip, if you bake the kugel, cassoerole, or whatever in baking paper or foil lined ceramic, then cool completely, remove from pan, wrap up, label, freeze. your pan is free, no concern of cracking and when heating thru you just take the package from freezer, insert into "fitted pan" and rewarm! works wonders and you can make a bunch at once using the same pan over and over, hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen