Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
The blessings on a lunch salad

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 21 2006, 1:03 pm
I see my coworkers makes a ha-adama on the veggies and a shehakol on the tuna or egg in there...

Wouldn't yopu think that the salad (greens) is the ikkur and the rest is toful?

Thanks.

red sea

Post Tue, Feb 21 2006, 1:10 pm
If the amount of tuna and egg was like part of a salad dressing I think you would only have to say one bracha.

If its like what I think you're saying, haadomoh on the veg, then shehakol is correct.

If there is a salad with avacodos, olives, tomatoes, lettuce, and tuna, it would be haetz, then haadomoh, then shehakol, or you could just wash hamotzi and simplify.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 21 2006, 1:28 pm
I only eat carbs with dinner, othrwise you would be right...but my salad is almost always greens, a grated carrot, and a red pepper. I haver a protein with it - tuna, egg, or chicken. the dressing is bottled.

Occasionally.... to complicate things lol, I have some nuts in there!

I am just not sure of the bracha, or brachas, that's all....

SV

Post Tue, Feb 21 2006, 1:33 pm
It's probably easiest to ask a shayla, but I would imagine that if you are eating it mainly for the greens/veggies and adding tuna, eggs, nuts etc as an enhancer it's no different than cereal and milk - where you only make one bracha. It all depends on what you are eating it for (veggies or tuna and adding veggies to make tuna taste better). A way out of this would be to make a shehakol on a drink are you having with it. (I dont think I would make a bracha on nuts separately since 99% of the time they are just an enhancer of the salad and not the primary reason for eating it).

{Disclaimer - this is not to be used as a halachic opinion, just what I remember learning.}

stem

Post Tue, Feb 21 2006, 1:45 pm
I learned that if she has some egg in every bite then it's really a part of the whole salad which would be haadama. But if the egg is big pieces, and sometimes you get a bite without any veggies then a separate bracha of shehakol needs to be made.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions