Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Washing babies clothes before wearing...

sporty

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 7:59 am
I was wondering - till what age are you supposed to wash a babies clothes after you buy it and before you put it on the child?
When I had dd I was told to wash all her clothes that dont come in plastic before she wears it. She is 3 months 2 weeks old now and I was wondering how long I should keep that up.
Also, till what age should I use dreft?
Thank you.

girliemom

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 8:06 am
I always wash all new clothing before wear even my own. Dreft I use till 12 mos.

Marion

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 8:13 am
I don't bother and I also don't use special soap. Don't know what Dreft is, but one shouldn't use soap flakes on baby clothes.

Blair

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 8:25 am
Never washed them before wearing or used special soap or washed separate from our own clothes. Never had a problem it's just one of those crazy extra things they tell you to do. Girls use some common sense and stop listening to every thing they tell you.

someoneoutthere

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 8:30 am
Having relatives in the "shmatte industry", textiles are far from clean when you buy them. In a plastic or out of one. The clothing all starts off as bolts of cloth in a warehouse somewhere, and as it's not food there arent the same sanitary controls...

I wash all clothing when it comes from the store. (well, usually.)

momoswyf

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 8:37 am
I also never washed my baby's clothes before she wore them. I did start off using Dreft, but I found that it did not get the tough stains out so I switched to using a dye/scent free detergent that I use for all my laundry. Unless your DD has very sentitive skin I don't see a reason to keep it up. Use your time and $ for something else.

MMEC123

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 8:40 am
I always wash everything before wearing but don't use special detergent- just the dye/fragrance free.

sgr

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 8:43 am
I wash everything before wearing till the baby is three months old I use a special soap free detergent.

Blair

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 8:45 am
It's a waste of time and money

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 8:49 am
I wash before/use dreft at first, and after a couple mos, if I see the baby isn't having any issues with things washed otherwise (ie. my shirt, the bedding, etc.) then I just put the baby's things in with the rest of the laundry.

Aribenj

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 8:57 am
Depends on the baby's skin... Usually I wash until they turn around 1. But if they have sensitive skin, I wash until they turn 2. And I use dreft or woolite. Especially with sensitive skin.

greenfire

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 10:10 am
first off - everything is handled and thrown about in the process of manufacture ... wash everything before wearing - no matter what the item - or the age ...

it's not so much in the detergent you use but in the rinse cycle ... at times I've had to run things through the machine just for an added triple rinse ... due to sensitive skin of dd

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 12:33 pm
I didnt wash anything before my daughter wore it and we use flaky detergent and she is just over a year and BH never had any skin problems.

I think that this is one of those things that is unnesecary but people do b/c they hear about it and believe that it makes a difference (like boiling water for babies - I did not do this in the begining and then at 3 weeks old, my MIL came over and told me that I HAVE TO boil the water for her - I think that it is also just fine to give a baby regular tap water)

cl

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 6:31 am
I dont wash all newborn outfits cos then u cant return it if baby grows out of that size too quickly to use it.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 6:57 am
It's funny, I don't nec. wash produce before using it, but I DO wash all clothes unless they're dry clean only!

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 7:05 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I think that this is one of those things that is unnesecary but people do b/c they hear about it and believe that it makes a difference

would you put a brand new baby on a dirty floor in a factory ... What

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 11:58 am
greenfire wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I think that this is one of those things that is unnesecary but people do b/c they hear about it and believe that it makes a difference

would you put a brand new baby on a dirty floor in a factory ... What
I really do not get the connection and what if your baby turns out to be allergic to the detergent that you are using? you really cant win.

I never heard of washing the clothing before they wore them, ever until this thread.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics