Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to get the smell out area around the sink

pink_nails

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 3:30 pm
My kitchen sink is porcelain (I think that's what it's called) w/ a strip of stainless steel around the edge. My apartment is pretty old and does have some musty smells here and there but when it comes to my kitchen counters/especially around the sink area the smell drives me nuts!! it's not musty just a horrible unfresh smell. For some reason I don't smell it during the winter months, only when spring/summer arrives. So my question is, how do I get the smell out or how do I get that area to smell good and fresh? somehow my kitchen area- by the counters don't have a fresh smell and I clean it so often
Any suggestions?

MiamiMommy

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 3:42 pm
Have you tried bleaching it? Maybe spray some bleach on and leave it. . .

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 6:59 pm
sweetie the wood under your formica counters have moved on to its next life. under the fancy surface is soggy mildewy moosh that was once pressed wood.

queen

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 7:38 pm
I'm sorry about your smell Sad
try clorox bleach powder when cleaning. Maybe after cleaning, rub the inside of a lemon (cut in half, and then use to rub) on that area? (just a thought, but this could be totally off the wall!!!!!)

greenfire

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 9:37 pm
do you use comet in the drain hole ... what about scrubbing the metal rim with a toothbrush so nothing gets stuck ...

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 9:42 pm
I am sure that you tried Soft Scrub with Bleach, along with Brillo steel wool, to scrub down the procelain and metal?
I think Shaklee has a good point. Stick your head under the cabinets to see what's going on with the wood.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 2:28 pm
I have the same prob. as the OP.
I've tried using bleach, comet etc. It works for a day, smell goes away but comes right back after a day or 2! I'm a very clean person so my sinks/counters are never really very dirty- and if they are I clean it right away.... I need some kind of solution that I only have to do once and will get the prob. (bad smell) away forever! Sad

acccdac

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 2:30 pm
if you have a disposer cut a lemon in 1/2 or quarters and run it through, peel and all, it will only mask the smell but as long as its clean then its just a smell issue

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 2:42 pm
I love baking soda. I sprinkle it around, let it get damp, and leave it for hours. It seems to absorb odors. I also use it on sippy cups, rinsing really well after.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 2:56 pm
Clarissa,
what do you mean you let the baking soda get damp? I've tried the baking soda method- made a paste (wasn't sure the exact measures) but it got all clumpy and took like 5 washings to come off
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry