Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
ISO Chicken Shawarma Marinade Recipe

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 8:53 pm
I bought shawarma spice and I have the chicken cutlets (duh!) what happens next? What should I put in the marinade? Just oil, garlic, and shawarma spice sounds dull. In the store bought, I see hints of chopped green leaves of some sort, maybe cilantro. Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 8:56 pm
I have a delicious recipe, but it's made from cumin, coriander, curry, sugar, salt, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh garlic... not the schwarma spice. And it's made with dark chicken cutlets (de-boned and de-skinnned chicken bottoms.)
Maybe next time around I give you the recipe!

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:01 pm
coriander & curry I don't have (yet)

OldYoung

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:02 pm
I marinate the chicken in oil and shwarma spice, then grill chicken strips for wraps the next day. The chicken comes out amazing, not the least bit dull... (It's my favorite supper!!! Wink )

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:04 pm
yum yum! I just discovered that the spices agree with me (the SCD diet) and I can't wait to fill up on it!

gdgirl

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:53 pm
I just make a rub of shwarma spice and vinegar. its less fattening than oil. then you fill fresh lafa or pita with this, chummus, and baked fries...yum!

3Qts

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 10:58 pm
Fresh Lafa. ... DO you make this or buy it? I Love Lafa from our local Schwarma store. I was wondering where I can get it. (I am not sure they would sell just the lafa)

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 12:31 am
3Qts wrote:
Fresh Lafa. ... DO you make this or buy it? I Love Lafa from our local Schwarma store. I was wondering where I can get it. (I am not sure they would sell just the lafa)

Zion, on 13th and (I think) 37th.

gdgirl

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:00 am
the store near me lets u buy fresh lafa, and its really yummy in a laf. pitas second best

#1mama

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 8:58 am
please describe how you make the cutlet-grilled...fried... and what else you put into the pita/lafa .
thanks

gdgirl

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 11:08 am
rub chicken cutlet cubes with vinegar/shwarma spice mixture. saute in a liitle oil, or do on george foreman
spread chumus on laffa if u wish. add baked french fries (from freezer) and chicken cubes. serve israeli pickles and salad on the side

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 7:00 pm
just curious, why the vinegar? is it like to tenderize the chicken ?

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 7:02 pm
Ok I made it today, it smelled yummy but the taste left much to be desired. I am guessing I need to drown the marinade with more shawarma spice, I sprinkled plenty but I guess I have to triple that. Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 7:12 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
Ok I made it today, it smelled yummy but the taste left much to be desired. I am guessing I need to drown the marinade with more shawarma spice, I sprinkled plenty but I guess I have to triple that. Thanks!

Buy the spices I mentioned, and I can bet that you will have the taste you are craving. (I'm sure you can splurge on $2 x 2.)
I too think that the ready made shawarma spice leaves much to be desired. But most people I know think it's fine.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 7:14 pm
cumin I have,
coriander not yet.
curry I have, sugar, salt, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh garlic = check.

Time to post the recipe then, Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 7:23 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
cumin I have,
coriander not yet.
curry I have, sugar, salt, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh garlic = check.

Time to post the recipe then, Thanks!

It's worth your while to buy dark chicken cutlets, or to bone and skin your own chicken legs. It's so juicy, I just cannot imagine this with regular chicken breast cutlets.

for every 1-1/4 lbs. of chicken strips:

1 Tbsp lemon juice (I used to do this with 4 Tbsp olive oil, not lemon, so you can use that if you prefer.)
1 Tbsp sugar or sugar substitute equivalent
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander

Place chicken strips in large Ziplock bag. Add the rest of the ingredients. Shake well to combine.
Marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours (or more, yum!)

Thread each thin long chicken strip through a skewer. Place on cookie sheet size pan. Sprinkle with salt. Bake for 25 minutes. (Or just grill.)

Btw, you can soak the wooden skewers for 15 minutes in water prior to threading, to prevent the sticks from burning.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jun 03 2009, 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 7:30 pm
Perfect, update in a few days! <salivating>
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey